Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Thursday July 16th, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer


Thursday July 16th, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com

STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Songs are written for a variety of reasons - but according to Rafe Van Hoy - the
idea for Michael Martin Murphey's 1982 number one, "What's Forever For" came
from the divorce of a couple that he thought would be together forever.

And according to Murphey - he first heard the song was when Van Hoy sang it
during a Nashville guitar pull.

He commented, "The song was just a very important love song. It said what needed
saying and it touched a lot of people."

And the song was not new when Murphey first heard it - having already been
recorded by several other artists - including T. G. Sheppard, John Conlee, Anne
Murray, and Johnny Mathis.

Michael Martin Murphey's Liberty Records single "What's Forever For" came on the
country music charts June 19th, 1982 and made the top of the charts on September
25th.

The single was produced by Jim Ed Norman and was Murphey's 7th charted song and
his first number one.

^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I heard on the radio that Rosanne Cash is doing something with the hall of
fame. Do you know about that?
A: Rosanne Cash has been named the Country Music Hall Of Fame's 2015
artist-in-residence and will take up her tenure in September. She is scheduled
for three concerts - each with a different theme. The Hall of Fame's annual
artist residency, now in its 13th year, honors artists who have contributed
significantly to country music.

Q: The TV news mentioned Willie Nelson receiving some award from Congress.
What is that about?
A: Willie Nelson will be honored with the Library Of Congress's Gershwin Prize
for Popular Song later this year. The Gershwin Prize is given to recipients who
exemplify the standard of excellence associated with composers and brothers
George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin. In November, Nelson will head to Washington to
receive the prize, where he'll be celebrated with a concert and other honors.

Q: Do you know anything about Lee Greenwood writing a children's book? The
radio guys were talking about it.
A: Lee Greenwood has turned his song "God Bless America" into a children's
book – "Proud To Be An American" - which is his way of instilling patriotism in
the youngest generation of Americans.

Q: Do you have any more information on the new Hank Williams movie?
A: The Hank Williams biographical movie " I Saw The Light" starring Tom
Huddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, will premiere November 27th

Q: My brother-in-law - who gets things wrong most of the time - was telling me
that the Post Office is now selling Elvis Presley CD's. Is that true?
A: The new Elvis stamp features a black and white photo of Elvis - which was
taken in 1955 - and features his signature on the right side of the stamp. In
addition to the postage stamp itself - the USPS is partnering with RCA/Legacy
Recordings for an exclusive 18 track CD - "Elvis Forever."

Q: I heard that Charley Pride received an Eagle Award. Is that from the Boy
Scouts?
A: The Eagle Award is from The National Music Council and was recently
presented to Charley Pride and Kris Kristofferson in Nashville.

&&&&&&&&&&&

ATTENTION: our old email address
classics@countrymusicclassics.com is no more. Please delete that
address from your contact list and replace it with
djdclassics@gmail.com

&&&&&&&&&&&

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^

NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1949
One Kiss Too Many - Eddy Arnold
1957
Bye Bye Love - The Everly Brothers
1965
Before You Go - Buck Owens
1973
Love is the Foundation - Loretta Lynn
1981
Fire & Smoke - Earl Thomas Conley
1989
I Don't Want to Spoil the Party - Roseanne Cash

^^^^^^^^^^^

MAKING MISTAKES.
By: Jack Blanchard

I'm an expert on mistakes because I've made so many of them.
When I remember one of them I want to bang myself on the head with a mallet,
which may be a mistake.

Having finally realized and learned from my errors
you'd think I'd stop making them,
but there are always new ones waiting to be committed, as am I.

When photographs were passed around I only looked at the ones I was in.
It took me a long time to realize that other people's lives are important to
them.
I got bored when the conversation drifted away from my life,
but once I started listening to others
I noticed that sometimes what they have to say is actually interesting.

My habit now is to listen and make the occasional appropriate comment,
but sometimes I get excited and cut them off in order to talk about me,
and I see them glance at their watch.
Apparently, to others, my life isn't the adventure I think it is.

It's obvious to me now that I've lost friends and business deals
making these social missteps,
and I'm trying to become more angelic.

If a person states a "fact" in the presence of other people
and I know that he's wrong, should I correct him in front of the others?
It would make me look smarter, wouldn't it?
No. The person corrected would be embarrassed and so would the onlookers,
and I would be the smarty-pants jerk.
If these people were in a position to help me that opportunity is lost forever.

From personal experience:
When having lunch with the head of a major record label,
my music is not the most important thing at the table.
The most important thing, if I want to further my career,
is to get that executive to like me... maybe to even become friends.

People help people they like and they like people who are interested in them.
DJs play artists that they like.
Bosses hire applicants they like over more qualified ones.
So now, a little late, I try to shut up, smile, and listen.
Like an alcoholic, I occasionally have a slip, but I hope I'm improving.

When I was younger it seldom occurred to me
that other people's lives are more interesting to them than mine,
and I would have done better to let them talk about it.
And I might have learned something.

Columns that I write are often about my life,
but that's excusable because it's the subject I know best,
and getting it out there seems to interest readers and is therapy for me.
Besides, this is not a conversation.
I'm just sitting here in the light of my desk lamp, sharing.

Sometimes I get too enthusiastic about a project and want the world to know.
Another excuse is that when I stop sending columns, emails, and posting,
our income shows a decline. That makes me nervous.

One possible reason for promoting harder is this:
As we grow old we feel we have to hurry
because time is short and it's moving faster every day.

When you die and if you can still hear folks talk,
you might overhear something like this:
"Yeah, we all liked him a lot and he was good at what he did.
We're sure gonna miss him. Where do you want to go for lunch?"

So, when I need to talk, thanks for listening.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ATTENTION: our old email address classics@countrymusicclassics.com
is no more. Please delete that address from your contact list and replace it
with djdclassics@gmail.com


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Compiled by Bill Morrison
Frank Page, Louisiana Hayride announcer, born Little Rock, AR 1948.

Bob Wilson, "Earl Scruggs Revue," born 1949.

Ronny Robbins, son of Marty Robbins, born Phoenix, AZ 1949.

Connie Smith's debut single" Once A Day," was released 1964. It stayed at #1 for
eight weeks.

Merle Haggard recorded "Okie From Muskogee," 1969.

The Oak Ridge Boys released "Y'All Come Back Saloon," 1977. The song became
their first top 5 hit.

Harry Chapin died in an auto accident 1981.

Dollywood opened in Pigeon Forge, TN 1986.

Vince Gill's album "High Lonesome Sound" certified platinum 1997.

Roy Orbison's widow, Barbara Orbison, filed a lawsuit against Sony Music. The
suit alleges that Sony underpaid royalties on both foreign and domestic record
sales. The Twelve Million Dollar suit requests back payments, plus interest on
money owed. 1998.

The Bellamy Brothers released "Redneck Girls Forever" 2002.

Don Williams released "Best of Don Williams" 2003.

Courtesy Bill Morrison:
<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html>


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock
Late Night At The Old Farm House
No matter what Storm you might be facing in your
life...health...economic...family problems....I can tell you from experience
that you just need to hand it over to the Lord. As simple as that sounds, it is
really the answer. He alone can bring the Sunshine back from the Storm...He will
put a Rainbow in your Cloud. Sleep tonight with the Assurance that God Loves You
and He will take the Night Watch while we rest. stan
Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com




^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in
them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.
– 1 John 3:9 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment