Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Thursday January 12th, 2017 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday January 12th, 2017

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Ideas or titles for songs sometimes come from strange or unusual circumstances
and according to Willie Nelson - the idea for Faron Young's 1962 hit "Three
Days" was
one of those songs!

Willie commented, "the idea for the song came from a joke I heard. A drunk
walked up to a stranger on the street and said "Hey buddy - I ain't eaten in
three days - yesterday - today and tomorrow." So I wrote that song after hearing
that joke."

Faron Young recorded "Three Days" and it came on the country music charts March
24th, 1962 and peaked at number seven.

It was Faron Young's 39th charted song and was on the charts for 13 weeks.
Faron Young placed 89 songs on the country music charts between 1953 and 1989
– including three duet singles with Margie Singleton.

Faron joined The Grand Ole Opry in 1954 and was inducted into The Country Music
Hall Of Fame in 2000.

He died of a self-inflicted gunshot in 1996.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE STORAGE ROOM FINDS:

96 page full-color oversize hardback "BEST OF COUNTRY MUSIC" – foreword by Don
Williams – over 90 color photos – remembering classic country – western swing


and bluegrass music – PLUS: 120 page oversize hardback "COUNTRY MUSIC
REVEALED" –described as "true stories of boozin' – cheatin' – stealin' –
dodgin' – and

divorce – loaded with photos – many in color - BOTH BOOKS FOR $25 and I'll pay
shipping. PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to
djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: The radio guys said that Loretta Lynn is having a birthday party at The
Grand Ole Opry. Any information?
A: Loretta Lynn will celebrate her 85th birthday by playing two back-to-back
nights at the Ryman Auditorium. The first show will be on her birthday itself
(April 14th), with the second concert set for the following evening (April
15th). She made her first Grand Ole Opry appearance at the Ryman in October of
1960.

Q: I heard about a guy named Sam Lovullo passing away. I never heard of him.
Do you have any information?
A: Sam Lovullo, the producer and casting director of the TV show "Hee Haw" -
died January 3rd in Encino, California at age 88.

Q: I haven't heard anything lately on Mel Tillis. Do you have an update?
A: At last report - Mel Tillis is back at home and is slowly recovering.

Q: My daughter told me about a Randy Travis tribute concert. Do you have
anything on that?
A: "1 Night. 1 Place. 1 Time: A Heroes and Friends Tribute to Randy Travis" is
set for February 8th at Nashville's Bridgestone Arena featuring Travis Tritt,
Joe Nichols, Collin Raye, Bellamy Brothers & Travis' older brother, Ricky
Traywick, Alabama, Kenny Rogers, Rodney Atkins, Jamey Johnson, Montgomery
Gentry, Ricky Skaggs, Michael W. Smith, the Randy Travis Band, Tanya Tucker and
Josh Turner.

Q: Did Merle Haggard ever record "Walking The Floor Over You?" A friend of
mine insists he heard Haggard's version on the radio.
A: Merle's version of the song is in his 1965 "Strangers" album

Q: The old Ray Price "I'll Be There" is my all-time favorite. Who wrote that
song?
A: Ray Price and Rusty Gabbard wrote "I'll Be There (If You Ever Want Me)"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.


For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1948
I'll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms) - Eddy Arnold

1956
Sixteen Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford

1964
Love's Gonna Live Here - Buck Owens

1972
Would You Take Another Chance on Me - Jerry Lee Lewis

1980
Coward of the County - Kenny Rogers

1988
I Can't Get Close Enough - Exile

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

1905 - Woodward Maurice 'Tex' Ritter 1905~1974, born Panola Country, Texas.
Joined the cast of the Grand Ole Opry in 1965, Tex was inducted into the CMHF
1964, NSHF
1971, and the Texas CMHF 1998. Tex has also been inducted into the Cowboy Hall
of Fame.

1926 - Ray Price was born in Perryville, Texas. During Ray's recording years he
charted 109 country music hit singles on Billboards Country charts, and 34
albums Ray
joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1952, and was inducted into the CMHF 1996.

1939 - William Lee Golden, of the "Oakridge Boys," born in Brewton, Alabama.

1949 - Tommy Duncan recorded his first session for Capitol Records.

1952 - Ricky Van Shelton singer, songwriter, and guitarist was born in
Danville, Virginia, and raised in Grit, Virginia. Ricky's first chart record was
on the Columbia Label
"Wild-Eyed Dream" in 1986. Ricky became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1988.
That same year he was honored by the CMA as their Horizon Award Winner, The
following year He was the CMA Male Vocalist of the year.

1953 - LaWanda Lindsey recording artist was born in Tampa, Florida. During her
career she recorded for Chart, Capitol, and Mercury Records.

1953 - Kitty Wells recorded "Paying For That Back Street Affair."

1953 - Johnny & Jack recorded "Hank Williams Will Live Forever."

1957 - Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper joined the Grand Ole Opry 1957.

1959 - Marty Robbins released "The Hanging Tree" b/w/ "The Blues Country
Style."

1959 - Ferlin Husky released "My Reason For Living."

1972 - Jerry Lee Lewis' single "Would You Take Another Chance On Me" topped the
charts.

1974 - Tex Ritter, Catherine McKinnon, Gunilla Hutton and Don Rich were
featured guest on Hee Haw.

1976 - "Wanted! The Outlaws" the first country album to sell a million units
was released today.

1978 - Paul Warren, age 59, fiddler, for Flatt and Scruggs, died in Nashville.

1980 - Willie Nelson's "My Hero's Have Always Been Cowboys," charted.

1991 - Johnny Paycheck was released from an Ohio prison, after serving two
years of a seven-year sentence for shooting a man in a tavern. The Governor of
Ohio commuted the singer's sentence.

1993 - Marty Stuart is presented with his first gold album for "This One's
Gonna Hurt You."

2001 - The very popular movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou" opens in theaters
across the nation. As a result of this film and the soundtrack, bluegrass music
gets a real shot in the arm.

2007 - Wilma Lee Cooper joined the Grand Ole Opry 50 years ago today. After
suffering a career ending stroke in 2001 while on the Opry stage, this very
talented lady was
greeted with a standing ovation when she walked on the stage in 2005 to say
hello to the fans.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE BEST ADVICE WE EVER GOT.
By: Jack Blanchard

Misty and I had a steady job with our band
in a high class Coral Gables supper club,
playing light jazz dance music,
and occasionally slipping in one of our own songs.
We had made a couple of records that got local airplay,
but were getting nowhere with amazing velocity.

Dick Gillespie was a regular customer we talked with a lot.
He was witty, in the Robin Williams style,
and owned a local country station.
He had won an Emmy for producing the Colgate Comedy Hour on TV.
An intelligent guy.

I asked him one night why we weren't getting anywhere.
We were good musicians, I said,
we sang well, looked okay, and made nice records.
Why didn't he see that, and help us?
His answer hurt our feelings and saved our life.

He Said: You have nothing to sell.
Nobody is interested in the things you mentioned.
People won't walk across the street to see a good-looking musician,
but they'll stop for an auto accident.

More importantly, he said:
Go home and develop an unusual style,
costume yourselves to attract attention,
change your name if necessary.
Try singing different ways until the style is pronounced.
Style is more important than good singing.
Good singers back up artists with style.
Change your attitude.
Go for stage presence.
Be whoever you want to be, but be unique.

Then he added:
But, you can't do this here in the town where they know you.
They won't accept it.
Go to a new place and walk in the door in your new way,
no matter how self-conscious you feel,
and they will think you were born that way.

Misty changed her name from Mary Blanchard,
we dressed pretty wild,
worked up a lot of new material and attitude,
went to Key West and tried it out.
We thought we'd be laughed at but they not only accepted us,
they packed the place to see and hear us.
We had a recording contract within two weeks,
and a Billboard Pick within a couple of months.

We found out that the roles we were playing
were more real than playing dinner music in suit and gown.

Now we can't think of ourselves the old way.
We've been who we are now over half our lives.
It's us.

Dick Gillespie gave us the best advice we ever got,
so we pass it on.
It works.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From A Warm Fire-Stan Hitchcock

Well, you say, weather must be mighty fine down there in the South....yessir,
living in Sunny Middle Tennessee...laying out on the Front Porch working on my
Winter Tan
and all that....uh huh, in your dreams maybe. High today, at the Old Farm House
will be 23 degrees, and then we will dip down to the ever pleasant 9 degrees
tonight...yep,
that is lay-out weather all right. Course, if you lived up in International
Falls or Fargo or the North Pole, that would be Summer time weather....but, I
prefer the balmy
Southland for my Wintertime retreat.

I'll tell you what....the bears in the woods have got the right idea about how
to spend the long cold winter days and nights...just find you a cave some where
and go in and
go to sleep and wake up when the Spring gets here. The Squirrels do the same
with a hollow tree...rabbits with a hole under a fallen down log...but, man
seems to be the
only one of God's Creatures that tries to get out and go when the cold wind
blows...as if to say, "Shoot, this old cold aint'a gonna stop me!" Yeah, that
used to be how I felt...country boy, dumber than a rock.

In January 1986, I was running CMT and I fly to Chicago to meet with the Pepsi
Cola folks about sponsorship. It was 60 degrees in Nashville as I was getting
ready to go to
the Airport. Denise, the ever wise girl from the North Country, said, "Stan, you
better take your heavy Overcoat." Naw, I won't need it...just flying in, quick
cab ride to the
Pepsi offices...quick cab ride back to the Airport and home...no problem.

Well, I got there to the Chicago O'Hare Airport, run out and got a cab and
headed to my meeting...which was downtown on just off Michigan Ave. We got to
within about
three blocks of my destination when we hit a construction blockage. The clock
was ticking inside the cab...I was gonna be late for my meeting...I told the
cabby that I
would just get out and walk the rest of the way...no problem (yeah, I got a lot
of them no problem times). I stepped out into Teen Temps with a 25 MPH wind off
of the
Lake...I was in my Southern Weight Suit, shirt and tie....no heavy Overcoat for
me...no problem (there it is again). Within 30 seconds I knew I was in a World
of Cold! Those
three blocks were the longest hundred miles I ever tried to slog through. By the
time I got to the building where the meeting was...my whole body had turned
blue! I just
barely remember the meeting...I was shaking so hard my teeth were rattlin'...I
probably had ice hanging out of my nose where the snot had frozen....the
Executives of Pepsi
probably felt sorry for me and agreed to Sponsor some shows on CMT...but I
didn't give a rat's butt I just wanted to go South as fast as I could get out of
this Frozen Hell Hole.

Denise likes to remind me, on occasion, about the time I thought I was gonna
freeze to death in Chicago...cause I did not listen and wear my heavy
Overcoat...Wives have
this incredible memory of all things stupid that we do, it seems.

So, I'm looking for a good warm cave to crawl into...with my heavy Overcoat, of
course, and get through this Arctic Blast that is coming. Move over Bear, you
got hillbilly
company for the Winter. stan

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but
whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give
them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."


– John 4:13-14 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment