Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Thursday August 25th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday August 25th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of hit songs came about because of a suggestion from another writer or
performer and according to Hank Locklin - he gave George Jones the idea for the
1959 hit song "White Lighting."

Locklin commented, "I was working with Lefty Frizzell on a tour thru Texas and
Louisiana and George Jones was playing guitar for us. George was a pretty good
guitar player and he was trying to write songs. He told me "If I could just get
one hit - I'd never want another one." I told him that he was crazy because if
he ever got one hit - he just want to go right out and get another one." I told
him there was one thing he could write about that's never been written and that
was moonshine. So he and a guy named J. P. Richardson - who called himself The
Big Bopper - wrote "White Lighting." And it was a big hit for George."

George Jones' Mercury Records single "White Lighting" came on the country charts
March 9th, 1959 and made it to number one where it stayed for five weeks.

It was his 13th charted song and was on the charts for 22 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: My dad says the radio folks said that Graceland is being re-done. Do you
have any information?
A: Graceland managers have announced a $45 million expansion project, "Elvis:
Past, Present & Future," a new 200,000-square-foot entertainment complex - set
to open in the spring of 2017. The expansion will include a visitor's center -
two restaurants, an exhibit of Presley's cars, the "Elvis: the Entertainer"
museum, retail spaces and more.

Q: I have heard that Emmylou Harris is doing a refugee project. Do you know
aything about it?
A: Emmylou Harris is joining Steve Earle, Patty Griffin, Buddy Miller and the
Milk Carton Kids for a fall tour to help shed light on the world refugee crisis.
"Lampedusa: Concerts for Refugees" will be hosted by Jesuit Refugee Service
(JRS) to benefit their Global Education Initiative. JRS currently works in over
45 countries to serve the world's refugee population of more than 65 million by
meeting needs in education, health and other areas. "Lampedusa: Concerts for
Refugees" is named for the Italian island of Lampedusa, off the coast of Sicily,
which serves as a stopping point for many refugees. A complete list of the
tour's 11 stops — which begin on October 6th in Boulder, Colo., and runs through
October 21st can be found at JRSUSA.org.

Q: Bob Luman is my favorite singer and he had a song on the radio years ago
about "Love Oughya Be A Happy Thing." I can't find the song anywhere. Do you
know when it came out?
A: The song is a track in Luman's 1972 "Lonely Women Make Good Lovers" album

Q: I always liked George Morgan's singing. A friend of mine tells me that
George recorded an album of "flower" songs. Is that true?
A: George Morgan's 1965 "Red Roses For a Blue Lady" featured songs with
"roses" in each title.

Q: I think Don Williams record "I Wouldn't Want To Live If You Didn't Love Me"
is the best song ever written. Do you know who wrote it?
A: The 1974 Don Williams number one was written by Al Turney

Q: My dad used to sing a song about "Hang Your Head In Shame." He said it was
popular back in the 40's. Did anybody have a hit record on that song?
A: "Hang Your Head In Shame" was a hit single for both Bob Wills and Red Foley
in 1945

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1952
It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - Kitty Wells

1960
Alabam - Cowboy Copas

1968
Already It's Heaven - David Houston

1976
Bring It on Home to Me - Mickey Gilley

1984
Long Hard Road (The Sharecropper's Dream) - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

Jerry Rivers, fiddler for the Drifting Cowboys, born Miami, FL 1928.

Rex Allen and Bonita Linder were married 1946.
The Louvin Brothers first recording session 1949.

Bill Doggett's #1 single "Honky Tonk (Parts 1 & 2}" debuted on the charts 1956.

Billy Ray Cyrus, singer/actor/guitarist, born Flatwoods, KY 1961.

Jo Dee Messina, born Holliston, MA 1970.

Charlie Daniels topped the charts with "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" 1979.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band went to #1 with "Long Hard Road" 1984.

Alabama released their album "For The Record" 1998.

Warner Brothers Records released Bill Anderson's album "Fine Wine" 1998.

Sony released Lynn Anderson's album "Pure Country" 1998.

Intersound Records released T. Graham Brown's "Wine Into Water" 1998.

Cliff Bruner, age 85, Western Swing fiddler/band leader, died 2000.

Billy Joe Shaver suffered a heart attack, after a performance in New Braunfels,
TX 2001.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS IS TOM T. HALL.
By: Jack Blanchard

"This is Tom T. Hall", he said.
I think I'd have recognized the voice on the phone
even if he hadn't said his name.

I almost hadn't answered because I couldn't find the phone.
I don't keep my music room too neat.
Once we returned from a tour and found the cops at our house.
They said our front door was open and my studio had been ransacked.
I told them: "No. That's just the way I usually keep it".

Tom T. and I had talked a few times at parties, etc., around Nashville.
We had the same manager, Bob Neal, and the same label, Mercury,
but we didn't exactly "hang out".
In Nashville we were all too busy to really get to know each other.
I was surprised by the call.

He said he'd been reading a book of mine on a plane.
I asked where he'd gotten it. It wasn't exactly a best seller.
He told me somebody on the plane gave it to him.
I think he said it was Loretta Lynn.

The point of the call was this:
He wanted me to write the liner notes for his upcoming album.
I said, "What do you want me to write?"
He said, "Just write that kind of stuff that you write.
That's what I want on there".

The album was "We All Got Together And..." (Mercury SR61362.)
I'd never heard the songs, and had no idea what the theme was.
The most popular song from the LP was "Me and Jesus",
I learned that later.

I worried about it for about ten minutes,
And then wrote this:

"WARNING:
DO NOT hold this album under the hot water faucet,
as the people living inside the record might pop out into living 3-D,
right there in your kitchen... or even worse, your bathroom.
The crowd might be hard to explain to the landlord.

"This same warning applies to any Tom T. Hall record
because of his secret recipe for canning REAL people
like you and me and Luther Short into plastic discs,
without losing the original flavor.

"The characters in his songs act completely on their own,
sticking up their noses at Mr. Hall.
They couldn't care less if he is stuck without a romantic ending,
or an earthshaking moral.
They've got their own troubles, and they work them out in their own way.
Thanks to the miracles of science, we can eavesdrop in living stereo.

"Heroes and beautiful people are the usual favorites of storytellers,
but Tom T. finds poetry in us ordinary hairy-legged mortals,
with our petty selfishness, hypocrisy, and intolerance...
our weaknesses, and our occasional goodness.

"So, step inside.
You're likely to run into yourself somewhere in this record.

"And, oh yeah, like I said at the beginning,
Keep this record dry, and out of the reach of children.
And please keep Tom T. Hall's picture off the floor if you have pets.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

Mastering & restoration studio: 352-530-2068.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock

Well, listen friends, I gotta talk to y'all about my Golden Years living like a
King....
You remember some time back, I made two Mason Jars full of "Million Dollar
Pickles"...worked on them suckers for two days and finally got'em done. Let'em
age in the jars all this time, getting just right. Oh they was pretty
things...works of art...succulent would be the word them foo foo cooks you see
on television would use. Uh huh, my plan was...I was gonna sell them pickles to
one of y'all and make a pile of money. I was gonna offer one jar for $999,999.00
and throw in the other jar for Free! I mean people was already lining up to buy
them. Now you can see it was a good plan...foolproof...until this morning......
Them Mason Jars of Million Dollar Pickles have been kept in the vault (okay,
refrigerator) just waiting for the right buyer to come along and snatch them up.
Every day I would go in and open the vault (yeah,yeah..refrigerator) and stare
at my Rolling In Dough future...oh those Mason jars just kinda had a glow to
em...pulsing like some great natural resource...oh they looked so good...man,
I'll bet they taste great...
This morning, while in a Pickle Trance (an uncommon condition suffered by Ozark
Hillbillies and other extraordinary people of the hills)...anyway, while in this
Pickle Trance...I reached inside the Vault (it's my story I'll call it whatever
I want) wrapped my trembling fingers around the Mason Jar...took it into the
breakfast room where my Scrambled Egg and Tomato with Duke's was waiting...my
fingers wrapped around the lid...I turned it until it fell to the tabletop...I
reached in with my fork and speared a good gob of Million Dollar Pickles
(probably about a $100,000 worth I would estimate)...I put them pickles on my
Sandwich...and before I could stop myself...I ate it every bit.
Well, the end of the story is this: Them dang pickles was so good that I am now
hooked on them, and I am taking them off the Market. They are no longer for
Sale. Them is my pickles, don't nobody touch my pickles. Best $100,000 Sandwich
I ever ate. I'd sooner sell my John Deere Tractor then part with these
Pickles...and you know I ain't gonna do that. So, reckon you will just have to
void the check you were gonna send to me...go back to the Convenience Store and
give 'em back the Money Order...hey, what is $999,999.00 between friends anyway?
We was Poor when we started this deal, and Poor we shall forever stay, happy
with our Million Dollar Pickles.

stan
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even
as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but
the good of many, so that they may be saved.

– 1 Corinthians 10:31-33 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment