Thursday, April 14, 2016

Thursday April 14th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday April 14th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Ronnie Milsap's 1983 number one "Don't You Know How Much I Love You" was written
by a couple of Nashville jingle writers – Michael Stewart and Dan Williams.

If you remember the Lemon Clorox commercials back in 1989 – the voice you heard
was Michael Stewart.

Milsap commented, "Michael and Dan brought me that song. They played me a master
that had been recorded by some young group trying to get a record contract and
they had recorded the song in a much higher key. So I lowered the key down to
where I could sing it – I liked it and recorded it."

"Don't You Know How Much I Love You" was the second single released from
Ronnie's "Keyed Up" album and came on the country music charts July 23rd, 1983
and made it to the top of the charts on October 8th.

It was his 39th charted song and was on the charts for 19 weeks.


^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE STORAGE ROOM FINDS:

12 x 12 inch 128 page "Vinyl Hayride" published in 2003 by The Country Music
Foundation – a book of full color photos of the top country music album covers
from 1947 thri 1989 – over half are full page photos.
P L U S:
208 page 1992 edition of "Harmony Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Rock" full of
color photos plus profiles of over 900 different rock performers along with
biographical data and discography
P L U S:
426 page "Who Wrote That Song?" – info on who wrote the words and music to over
12,500 American popular songs – includes pop and country songs.
All three books for $50 and I'll pay shipping. PayPal – Check or Money Order –
reply to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: Could you tell me anything about Merle Haggard's funeral service? Where it
was held and was it open to the public?
A: A private funeral service was held on Saturday April 9th on Haggard's
property in Palo Cedro, Calif.

Q: Do you know anything about a Patsy Cline museum? My daughter says she heard
it on the radio.
A: A museum dedicated to Patsy Cline is planned for downtown Nashville.
Construction is scheduled to begin in June. The museum will be located directly
above the Johnny Cash Museum on Third Avenue in Music City and will host
Cline-related artifacts including her personal possessions, costumes, awards,
letters, furniture and photos, culled from her family's archives, plus
interactive audio- and video-based exhibits.

Q: Do you remember a song about "I'm No Stranger To The Rain?" My cousin used
to sing that song all the time and I never knew where it came from.
A: "I'm No Stranger To The Rain" was Keith Whitley's third consecutive No. 1
on April 8th, 1989.

Q: Have you ever heard of a Ronnie Milsap record "I Can Almost See Houston
From Here?" My brother has a tape of just a part of the song recorded off the
radio years ago. And I can't find any information on it.
A: The song was in Ronnie's 1976 "Ronnie Milsap – Live" album

Q: The old song "Mexican Joe" is my all-time favorite Jim Reeves record. All
these years I thought he wrote the song but my sister says he did not. Do you
know?
A: "Mexican Joe" was written by Mitchell Torok

Q: I Like the Dave and Sugar record of "Tear Time." My wife says that song was
on the radio before their record came out. Is that true?
A: "Tear Time" was a number 16 hit for Wilma Burgess in 1967 before scoring a
number one for Dave & Sugar in 1978.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1944
Too Late to Worry, Too Blue to Cry - Al Dexter

1952
(When You Feel like You're in Love) Don't Just Stand There - Carl Smith

1960
He'll Have to Go - Jim Reeve
s
1968
You are My Treasure - Jack Greene

1976
'Til I Can Make It on My Own - Tammy Wynette

1984
Thank God for the Radio - The Kendalls

^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY

1932
Born on this day in Butcher Hollow, Kentucky, was Loretta Lynn, who became the
first woman to be named Country Music Artist Entertainer Of The Year. Since her
first #1 "Fist City", in 1967 she has scored another 15 chart toppers. Her
best-selling 1976 autobiography was made into an Academy Award winning film,
Coal Miner's Daughter, starring Sissy Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones in 1980.

1958
Don Gibson's "Oh Lonesome Me" was at #1 on the Billboard country chart. The
track, which was produced by Chet Atkins, topped the country chart for eight
non-consecutive weeks in addition to reaching #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. Both
Johnny Cash and Neil Young have recorded versions of the song.

1964
Born on this day in Quantico, Virginia, was Stuart Duncan, bluegrass musician
who plays the fiddle, mandolin, guitar and banjo. Duncan has played with
numerous well known performers including George Strait, Dolly Parton, Reba
McEntire and Alison Krauss.

1980
George Jones released "He Stopped Loving Her Today", the lead single from his
album I Am What I Am. The song, which was written by Bobby Braddock and Curly
Putman has been named in several surveys as the greatest country song of all
time. Jones didn't want to record the song, and when he cut it, he said, "Nobody
will buy that morbid S.O.B."

1986
Alabama won Entertainer of the Year for a record fifth straight time during the
21st annual Academy of Country Music awards, broadcast by NBC from Knott's Berry
Farm in Buena Park, California. Other winners included: Top Female Vocalist of
the Year - Reba McEntire, Top Male Vocalist of the Year - George Strait and
Single Record of the Year went to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson
and Waylon Jennings for "Highwayman."

2004
Dolly Parton was awarded the Living Legend Medal by the US Library of Congress
for her contributions to the cultural heritage of the United States.

2014
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum opened a new $100 million expansion
that more than doubled its space and allowed it to add more interactive and
contemporary exhibits. The museum unveiled the final part of the expansion, two
new exhibit galleries and a behind-the-scenes gallery of ongoing archival
projects.

Courtesy: www.thisdayincountrymusic.com -

http://www.thisdayincountrymusic.com



\ ^^^^^^^^^^^

MY CHURCH-GOING DAYS.
By: Jack Blanchard

Somebody asked me about what church I belong to.
I don't actually have one now, but I still feel a connection
to The Plymouth Congregational Church,
at Lincoln and Amherst, in Buffalo, New York .

The church I joined at twelve years old
was neither progressive nor fundamentalist...
just an old fashioned Northern church
with a choir and an organ.

The whole thing seemed to be based on the Golden Rule.
The minister spoke in a conversational manner,
and nobody got excited.
I did feel better after going to Sunday Service.
I felt saintly.
Elderly ladies told me I was a nice boy.
Little did they know.

We sat for some hymns and stood for others.
I was always sitting when everybody else was standing,
and vice versa.
They should tell you if it's a standing or sitting hymn,
or put buzzers under the seats.
They could call them Pew Buzzers.
I think Pew Buzzers are a hip-hop group..

I went to Sunday School,
Boy Scouts in the church basement,
and practiced on the upright piano down there
when nobody was around.

I was a failure as a Boy Scout,
being a Tenderfoot for two years and then quitting.
I think I just liked the uniform.
I still know how to tie one knot...the sheepshank,
but I've never had an occasion to use it.
There are no sheep around here.

The congregation had a Mayberry RFD niceness.
Of course I haven't been there in many years
so things may have changed.

The church was a friendly place,
in sort of a staid New England manner.
I liked it.
Maybe I should go back and stop being a sinner.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

Throughout my 56 year professional music career, many times I would be asked, by
a young person of musical aspirations, just how do you get to be successful in a
music career. Well, I have thought about it a lot, and here is what I believe.
There is a special hunger for music that a few people seem to be born with. It
is a desire (hunger)that just will not let them quit or give up until they make
it. For example...
Jimmy Rodgers was dying of TB on his last recording session in New York...he had
a mattress brought into the studio...he would sing a song...then go lay down and
rest to get the strength to do another one. He died in a Hotel Room a couple of
days after the session.

Hank Williams died in the back of his Cadillac Convertible on the way to do his
last show...in so much pain he couldn't stand to set up...he died from overdose
of pain medication.

Bob Wills did his last session in a wheel chair, so weak he couldn't
stand...dying a short time later.

I have seen Ernest Tubb go on stage when he was so sick he could hardly
stand...but, he sat on the edge of the stage after the show until every fan had
been met and thanked.

The doctors tried to get Merle Haggard to cancel all shows and stay in the
Hospital the last few months of his life. He kept leaving the Hospital and going
to do shows...so weak it was hard to make it on stage...he wrote his last songs
from his hospital bed...the creativity just would not stop as long as he had a
breath.
My point is this: If you want to be another entertainer like these
legends...then you got to have that special spirit that just won't quit.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing
of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his
good, pleasing and perfect will.
– Romans 12:2 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment