Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Thursday March 24th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday March 24th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of hit songs became hit songs when - what might sound like a simple
process of writers writing the song – playing it for a record producer – he
loves the song – immediately has an artist in mind to record the song – plays it
for that artist – who also loves it – and WHAMO – a hit record is born!

The process is somewhat more time consuming than that – but according to the
people involved – that's exactly how Crystal Gayle's 1983 number one "Baby What
About You" came to be!

The song was written by Josh Leo and Wendy Waldman. They sent the demo to record
producer Jimmy Bowen – who said he immediately thought of Crystal Gayle to
record it. So he played it to her and Crystal liked it immediately. She recorded
it a short time later and "Baby What About You" made the country music charts
July 16th, 1983 and made the top slot on September 24th.

The Columbia Records single was her 30th charted song and was on the charts for
19 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE STORAGE ROOM FINDS:

"Rockabilly – The Twang Heard Round The World" – 230 page hardback – full of
photos of rockabilly stars – Bios – photos – interviews – Elvis Presley – Carl
Perkins – Johnny Cash - Roy Orbison – Jerry Lee Lewis – Buddy Holly – and
dozens more – PLUS:
190 page hardback "Country – The Golden Era" - hundreds of photos – plus full
length photo features of Jimmie Rodgers – Carter Family – Roy Acuff – Bob Wills
– Gene Autry – Ernest Tubb – Hank Snow- Merle Travis – Eddy Arnold – Hank
Williams – Jim Reeves- Hank Thompson – Ray Price – Webb Pierce – George Jones
– Patsy Cline – Johnny Cash and more – AND INCLUDES - a 20 track classic
country CD. BOTH books and CD for $50. I'll pay shipping.
PayPal – Check OR Money Order. If interested - reply to:
djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: You had mentioned Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton releasing some more music
they had recorded years ago. Do have any info as to when?
A: "Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris: The Complete Trio
Collection" is set for release on September 9th via Rhino, at a retail price of
$29.98. Trio and Trio II have been remastered, while the third disc features
unreleased songs and alternate takes from recording sessions in 1985, 1986,
1993, 1994 and 1998. The project was produced by Harris.

Q: I heard something about a "Glen Campbell Touring Show." What is that about?
A: Campbell's friend and former collaborator Jimmy Webb will bring his "Jimmy
Webb: The Glen Campbell Years" touring show to Nashville, Tennessee on May 3rd
to celebrate Glen's 80's birthday

Q: Has Dolly Parton stopped touring?
A: Dolly has not stopped touring and has announced plans for concerts in the
U.S. and Canada, for her largest North American tour in 25 years. Her upcoming
trek will feature stops in more than 60 cities.

Q: The radio folks said that Alan Jackson has a live DVD. Do you have info?
A: The new DVD - "Keepin' It Country — Live at Red Rocks" - will be released
May 6th. The concert was recorded at the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado in
May 2015.

Q: I have heard that someone in country music named Steve Young passed away. I
have not heard of him. Do you have any information?
A: Steve Young was a songwriter whose hits included "Montgomery in the Rain"
by Hank Williams Jr., "Seven Bridges Road" by the Eagles, and "Lonesome, On'ry
and Mean," by Waylon Jennings and later by Travis Tritt.

Q: Do you remember a song titled "Put Me Down Softly?" My dad used to sing
this song and I never knew where it came from.
A: That was a # 30 hit for Dickey Lee in 1973

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1947
So Round, So Firm, So Fully Packed - Merle Travis
1955
In the Jailhouse Now - Webb Pierce
1963
Still - Bill Anderson
1971
I'd Rather Love You - Charley Pride
1979
I Just Fall in Love Again - Anne Murray
1987
I'd Still Be Loving You - Restless Heart

^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY

1974
Charlie Rich's "Behind Closed Doors" was #1 on the US country album charts and
received three Country Music Association awards: Best Male Vocalist, Album of
the Year, and Single of the Year, for the title song which gave Charlie his
first #1 single.

1985
Ray Charles and Willie Nelson's "Seven Spanish Angels" was at the top of the
charts. The song was written by Troy Seals and Eddie Setser, "Seven Spanish
Angels" would be the biggest of Ray Charles' eight songs to make the country
music charts.

^^^^^^^^^^^

WRITING SONGS UNDER PRESSURE.
By: Jack Blanchard

It's harder to write songs under pressure,
but you're more likely to get it done.

When Misty and I were flying high on the charts with major labels,
and having to plan a recording session every couple of months,
the pressure was on us to come up with four or five songs
that were not only damn good, but, more importantly, were different.
Different enough to grab the public attention.

If we didn't,
we would be at the mercy of the corporate guys
who would descend upon us with songs written by themselves or their uncle
and lots of ideas for improving our "product".
I've long resented the term "product"
as applied to the music we devote so much of our lives to.

Misty and I always recorded four or five songs
in a three-hour session,
and kept the suits at bay by writing 99% of them.
We occasionally picked an outside song,
before they got a chance to do it for us.

Having to come up with so many special songs so often
was a constant pressure,
because being a major label artist with hits
isn't a condition that's easy to maintain.
Hit a slump and you're back working at Burger King.

There is little or no security for musicians at the top,
This can bring on writer's block.
It may be a form of a musical death wish,
when the stress level gets way up the scale,
and you almost don't care anymore.

When the deadlines approached, I would start writing fast.
Sometimes in the bus on the way to Nashville,
or in the motel room before a session.
There is a power that takes over when it's sink or swim.
I felt as though my feet were up in stirrups,
and somebody was telling me to breathe and push.

Somehow my song babies turned out okay,
and still call me once in a while.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock
To all the friends and neighbors who took the time to wish me happiness on my
birthday, it was truly overwhelming and very much appreciated.
On the 80th + one day morning, I got up before the Sun ready to milk the cows,
feed the horses, slop the hogs and throw a little grain out to the
chickens...yes, I was ready to do all that alright...and was half-way out the
door when I remembered...wait a minute...I ain't no farmer...ummmm...let's see
now...yeah, I'm a musician...so I went out in my music room and started tuning
up my old guitar...then I realized...wait a minute...what am I doing...dang it,
I don't play no more...that was years ago when I made music...and then my eyes
settled on the fishing gear along one wall of the room, and it hit me! Yeah,
sure enough, I was borned a farmer alright...and then I moved on and followed my
guitar and became a musician and it sure did lead me on a merry chase around the
World and back again...but now, You are a Growed Folk...uh huh, this ain't that
wild and wooly Show Biz...and you ain't that barefoot country boy steppin' easy
through the chicken crap...repeat after me Hitch...I IS GROWED FOLK! Now, get a
hold of your pitiful self and straighten up..Being Growed Ain't For
Sissies...where's your guts boy? You don't need to be thinking that it's over,
cause it ain't over til the Fat Ground Hog whistles, or something like that. You
simply got to remake your hillbilly self...you ain't a farmer, you ain't no
singin' star, you ain't even a guitar slinger no more...Abracadabra Poof! Just
look at what you are now...You are now a front porch sittin', coffee drinkin',
nature lovin' fishhook baitin' Mature Fisherperson...uh huh, that's you
alright...Stanley Edward has moved on up.
Well, I stood there with the Cracked Corn Chicken Feed in my left hand and my
J-45 Gibson in the other...slowly put the guitar back down in its case...went
outside and threw the corn to the wild birds who sure seemed to appreciate it
alright, went back in and noticed my Mac laptop standing open where I had left
it and it reminded me that, yeah, I am a Mature Fisherperson for sure...but,
maybe, just maybe I could also be an old-timer who writes little stories that
people might like...maybe encourage folks that need it...pray for them that's
not doin' so good...maybe bring a smile or two and just spread a little love and
good cheer, after all ain't that what life is supposed to be all about? Yeah, 80
ain't so bad, it's just like them mile markers on the highway...just there to
remind you where you are at in the Journey.
So, now that I have finally gotten myself all together and figured out who and
what I am for another day...these challenges ain't nothing that another cup of
coffee won't take care of...good morning, y'all, ain't it a fine fine day in a
country boys life.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my
name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah,' and will deceive many.
– Matthew 24:4-5 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment