Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Thursday August 27th, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday August 27th, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of hit songs have been recorded because someone just would not give up.

As the story goes - such was the case of Eddie Rabbitt and Crystal Gayle's first
number one duet single - "You And I."

Songwriter Frank Myers reportedly kept bringing the song to record producer
David Malloy and Malloy kept turning him down. Finally - Malloy sent Myers to
his dad - record publisher Jim Malloy - who listened to the song - then called
David to tell him that "You And I' was one he should listen to.

Somewhere during the process someone decided the song could be a duet so Malloy
played it for Crystal Gayle and Eddie Rabbitt. It was Crystal's idea to do the
song in the question and answer style.

The Rabbitt / Gayle duet of "You And I" came on the country charts October 9th,
1982 and made the top of the list on December 4th.

Te Elektra Records single was on the charts for 19 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^

BlueHighways TV is now available on DISH Channel 73 to all DISH customers.

BlueHighways TV website, Facebook and Twitter pages offer the complete network
schedule along with special show offerings and details.

For more information, visit BlueHighways TV's website at
www.bluehighwaystv.com - http://www.bluehighwaystv.com.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I discovered Conway Twitty music in the late 70's and have loved him ever
since. According to my mom - Conway's first hit record was not country. Is that
true?
A: Tis true ! Before becoming a country music icon - Conway was into Rock n'
Roll. His MGM single "It's Only Make Believe" was number one on the pop charts
for two weeks in 1958 but never appeared on the country music charts. Conway's
first record success in country came in 1966 when "Guess My Eyes Were Bigger
Than My Heart" peaked at number 18.

Q: I'm a big fan of Charlie Daniels music. My dad says the radio folks
mentioned a new DVD. Do you have any details?
A: Charlie's February 20th concert at Billy Bobs in Texas will be available on
CD and DVD on October 16th.

Q: Do you know anything about a new Johnny Cash movie. My son says it was
mentioned on TV.
A: A new documentary "Johnny Cash: American Rebel" will debut on CMT on
September 12th and will feature new interviews with some of JC's closest friends
and family - plus concert footage.

Q: There was an announcement a few weeks ago about a movie about Dolly
Parton's song "Coat Of Many Colors." Is there any current news on the project?
A: The holiday film "Coat Of Many Colors" will air on NBC-TV on December 10th.
The film is reportedly the true story of Dolly's upbringing.

Q: I remember a song on the radio years ago about "You'd Make An Angel Want To
Cheat." Do you know who had that record?
A: That song peaked at number 5 for The Kendalls in 1979.

Q: On an old radio show - Cal Smith sang "Behind Closed Doors." Did he record
that song?
A: Cal's version of "Behind Closed Doors" is in his 1974 "Country Bumpkin"
album.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^

NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1946
New Spanish Two Step - Bob Wills
1954
I Don't Hurt Anymore - Hank Snow
1962
Wolverton Mountain - Claude King
1970
Don't Keep Me Hangin' On - Sonny James
1978
Talking in Your Sleep - Crystal Gayle
1986
Strong Heart - T.G. Sheppard

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE PHONE CALL.
By: Jack Blanchard

Three years after my sister died I got a mysterious phone call.
Virginia passed away Easter weekend, 2002,
after a prolonged stay in hospitals and nursing homes.
Much of her suffering during the last few years
was due to horrible healthcare workers, arrogant doctors,
and the wrong medications they prescribed.

Ginny deserved better.
She was in poor health and nearly blind most of her life,
and was the closest thing to a saint I've ever encountered.
She was cheerful and funny even after all her suffering,
and never hurt anyone in her life.
One night in 2005, at 11PM, I got a phone call from her.

The call came in on our private line,
known only to friends and relatives,
and the Caller ID said "BLOCKED NUMBER".
I never pick up on blocked calls, but this time I did.
It was, after all, our private number,
and I thought maybe somebody close to us might be in trouble.

It was Ginny.
I know that voice, probably better than my own.
I was covered with chills from head to foot,
and had to hang on to something to keep from falling.
At first the voice was soft and distant, and I said "Hello?"
Her tone sounded desperate and pleading.
Then I recognized words: "I can't find my ball."

"Who is this?" I asked.
"I've lost my ball", she said a little more emphatically.

"What ball did you lose?" I asked.
I already knew who it was,
and I didn't understand any of this weirdness,
but my reaction was to try and help my kid sister.
The voice on the line started to fade away,
still pleading for help I couldn't give.

I called our sister Valerie and told her about the call.
We both got chills.
Then Val told me that Ginny had had trouble with her hands.
I think it was caused by a stroke.
She was given a ball to squeeze for therapy,
and occasionally the ball would get lost among the bed covers.
Val would enter the hospital room and ask Ginny how she was,
and the reply sometimes was "I've lost my ball".

We're trying to figure it all out,
and have found no easy answers.

Here's one remotely possible conclusion.
We had a lot of trouble with hospital staff,
and threatened to sue them more than once.
We may have gotten an employee fired, and angry at us.

This is pretty far-fetched, but barely possible.
A disgruntled employee could have recorded Ginny's voice,
and is trying to scare us for revenge.
But why would he or she wait three years?
The hospital did have our private phone number.

Today Valerie received a call
from a rest home in Minneola, a nearby town.
She found the number on her Caller ID this morning.
They had left no message.
Could a worker who is holding a grudge be working there?

The easiest explanation is that it was a call from a ghost.
What doesn't seem to fit is this...
Our sister Virginia should be in a better place,
and not still suffering after death.

If I get another blocked number call on our private line,
I am going to pick it up.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY

Compiled by Bill Morrison
Pete Cassell, a blind country singer-songwriter, born Cobb County, GA 1917.

Carter Stanley of the "Stanley Brothers" born Stratton, VA 1925.

Jimmy C. Newman, born "Jimmy Yves Newman" High Point, LA 1927.

Frances Williams Preston (BMI CEO) born Nashville, TN 1934. Opened the first BMI
Nashville office in her home. Inducted CMHF 1992.

J.D. Crowe, Bluegrass/banjo/vocals, born Lexington, KY 1937.

Jeff Cook, vocals/lead guitar/fiddle/key boards, for "Alabama," born Fort Payne,
AL 1949.

George Jones released "Why Baby Why"/"Seasons of my Heart," 1955.

The Louisiana Hayride presented its last performance on KWKH in Shreveport, LA,
1960. The very successful program debuted April 3, 1948, and was known as "The
Cradle of the Stars."

Homer "Slim" Miller of the "Cumberland Ridge Runners" died 1962.

James R. Denny, age 52, died 1963. Inducted CMHF 1966.

Marty Robbins released "I Walk Alone/Lily of the Valley," 1968.

Crystal Gayle's "Talking In Your Sleep" topped the charts 1978.

The Judd's gave a special concert at the White House for President and Mrs.
Reagan 1988.

Stevie Ray Vaughn died in a helicopter crash 1990.

Garth Brooks released "No Fences" 1990.

Kenny Rogers "Greatest Hits" album certified 12 x platinum 1997.

Confederate Railroad's album "Confederate Railroad" certified double platinum
1998.

<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

As the Summer Vacation Families hit the Road, the Long Haul Truck drivers do
their best to keep from running over them as they weave in and out of the
traffic on today's overworked Interstates, the RV's and Travel Trailers just try
to make it through without mishap…In this mad scramble of machines to get to
where they want to be….well, my mind drifts back to my early Road Touring days,
where the roads were not as jammed, but where the danger was just as real…in
those days we call, "The Good Ole Days"…….. October, 1968 On Tour….It was
Midnight, black as a Tax Collector's heart, raining, wind blowing so strong that
it swayed the '68 Pontiac Station Wagon, my Road Machine that was already
racking up the miles on the Odometer as I criss-crossed the States on tour. This
night I was driving back from three days of one-nighters along the East Coast,
traveling by myself, working with house bands provided by the promoters at each
venue. I was really tired, but I had to get back to Nashville in time for my
Television Show, so I was pushing ahead as hard as I could under these road
conditions. Ever since I had started out on the Roads headed South, there had
been another driver who evidently was headed the same way and we kept passing
and repassing each other on the roads out of Virginia and into Tennessee. The
Interstate had run out and we were traveling on twisting, two lane highways now
into Tennessee mountains. The rain was so heavy that the lights of the cars
coming at you were distorted and blurry, the wipers hardly able to keep up. I
hated to have to keep pushing like I was, but I had no choice. I had passed the
66 Cadillac that was going the same direction I was several times, and by now
had established a familiarity that you do sometimes on long trips. Coming down
close to Bristol I pulled into a filling station to get gas, the Cadillac going
on by and giving me a quick horn tap as he passed. I filled up and got me some
coffee and prepared to hit it again. The rain had not let up any and now heavy
fog was setting in along the mountains as I hurried on down the road. I had been
driving about another 40 miles, deep in the twisting mountain roads, when I saw
some emergency lights shining through the rain a little ways ahead. Since I was
about the only other one on the road at that time of night, there was only one
State Trooper car, a big logging truck parked at an angle across the road, and
underneath the back of the logging truck, full of big, fresh cut logs, was the
tail fins and rear end of a '66 Cadillac. The top part of the car and passenger
compartment was peeled back like a tin can that has been opened with a can
opener. I pulled my car over to the side and got out in the driving rain to see
if I could assist the emergency crew…which was one state trooper. The trooper
was standing in the rain, looking down at the road behind the wrecked car. When
I got up beside him, I realized I sure wasn't gonna be a help to this wreck
victim. Lying in the road, being washed by the rain, the head of the man that I
had been traveling along with for so many miles was face up, eyes staring,
probably still focused on the back of the logging truck that was coming at him
at 60 miles an hour, just before he hit and the logs peeled the top back,
cutting his head off in the process and throwing it back in the road behind the
car. The trooper stepped over to the side of the road and lost his supper, and I
turned away to blot out the picture before I lost mine. I couldn't help but
think, for many days after, what if I had been in front, coming around the curve
in the rain, not seeing the single dim tail light that was all the truck had
showing….what if….what if? That is the gut twisting fear of all traveling men
and women who have to make a schedule…have to keep going when the weather says
stay…when your eyes are so heavy that you hold your head out the window in the
cold rush of air….you slap your cheeks…you holler, loud, to keep yourself
awake….talking to yourself to keep going. Most of us make it, against all odds,
the trip ends and we sink into an exhausted sleep, but just before you drift
away….you think, once again…..what if? To all the traveling, men and women,
those for pleasure or those for a living, a prayer for your safety and that you
have a secure knowledge of the Love Of Jesus in your heart as you meander down
the highways, backroads and Interstates. I have spent my adult life on the Road
and God has blessed me with no serious accidents in all these years. I pray the
same for you.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DON'T FORGET: BlueHighways TV is now on DISH Network – Channel 73
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
– Matthew 5:5 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment