Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Thursday June 25th, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday June 25th, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com

STORY BEHIND THE SONG

David Frizzell's 1982 number one "I'm Gonna Hire A Wino To Decorate Our Home"
was written by Dewayne Blackwell - who wrote and recorded a demo on the song to
use to secure a recording contract - which didn't happen.

Record producer Snuff Garrett wound up with a tape copy of the song and he
played the tape for David Frizzell one afternoon while the two were meeting in
Garrett's office in Los Angeles.

Frizzell said "I loved that song the first time I heard it. So we recorded it a
few days later.."

"I'm Gonna Hire A Wino To Decorate Our Home" became Frizzell's only number one
as a solo artist - after hitting the country charts on May 29th, 1982.

The Warner Records single made it to the top of the charts on August 14th and
was on the charts for 23 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I saw Pat Boone on TV talking about his career. Didn't he have some songs
on the country charts years ago?
A: Pat Boone placed five songs on the country music charts between 1975 and
1980.

Q: I heard that Merle Haggard is recording with The Eagles. Do you have any
details?
A: Haggard makes a guest appearance on Eagles member Don Henley's solo project
titled "Cass County."

Q: The radio folks mentioned a new Alan Jackson song titled "Hank." Do you
know about that?
A: The title of his new single is "Jim And Jack And Hank" and is from Alan's
new album "Angels And Alcohol," set for July 17th release.

Q: I heard on TV news that Steve Wariner and Vince Gill are now working on
something for a hospital. Do you have any information?
A: Vince and Steve recently help raise over $220,000 during a celebrity golf
tournament for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.
.
Q: Have you ever heard of a song titled "Yellow Pages?" It was on the radio
several years ago.
A: "Yellow Pages" was a number 30 hit for Roger Bowling in 1980

Q: Do you know if Ronnie Milsap recorded the Jim Reeves hit song "Four Walls?"
My brother in law says Ronnie sang the song during a concert years ago.
A: Milsap's version of "Four Walls" is in his 1974 "Pure Love" album.

&&&&&&&&&&&

ATTENTION: our old email address
classics@countrymusicclassics.com is no more. Please delete that
address from your contact list and replace it with
djdclassics@gmail.com

&&&&&&&&&&&

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^

NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1944
Straighten Up and Fly Right - King Cole Trio
1952
The Wild Side of Life - Hank Thompson
1960
Please Help Me, I'm Falling - Hank Lockin
1968
Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
1976
El Paso City - Marty Robbins
1984
When We Make Love - Alabama

^^^^^^^^^^^

LIFE IN PARADISE.
By: Jack Blanchard

I know this is Heaven because every day here is Sunday.

It's 96 here today. The heat index is 100.
When I was a kid we didn't have heat indexes and that made it cooler.

It's pretty damn hot when you pray for a thunderstorm.
The rain cools it off and the lightning keeps you amazingly alert.

All the TV shows in Central Florida tonight are preempted by storm reports.
I don't understand why the safety of others
is more important than my entertainment.

The area where we live is completely surrounded by six lakes.
It's sort of like an island with five ways on and off.
I think the lakes cool off some of the storms before they get here.
That's a good thing.

On my walk this evening I heard somebody shout "Help!".
It came from the house on the corner.
I knocked on the door and they told me it was just the dog barking.
I said, "You should teach that dog a different word."

REMEMBERING...
Remember when men wore maroon pants with white belts and shoes?
Cool!

I was talking with Grandpa Jones about a mutual friend...
a country music star.
Grandpa was worried that our friend was taking a lot of drugs.
I said, "He takes drugs?"
Grandpa said, "Why, he'd take a overcoat button!"

Misty and I and a drummer once played on a three hour cruise.
We spent the whole evening
chasing the drums and piano around the dance floor.

For years I drove our 47 foot rig all over the US mainland
with a paper cup of Coors Light on the dashboard
and a supply of diet pills to break off pieces to maintain a nice balance.
That was the healthiest period of my life. I was in great shape.
Now I take no pills, two beers is my limit, and I'm dragging around.
It doesn't seem fair.

We were having dinner with Major Schwab at the Shaw AFB Officers' Club.
The waiter poured a tiny bit of wine in Misty's glass for her to okay it.
She had such a disappointed expression!
Misty looked up at him and said, "Is that it?"

At a concert at Walt Disney World, the stagehands lowered the stage
at the BEGINNING of our closing number!
We watched the audience disappear.
We must have looked like "Kilroy was here".
Stagehands don't always watch the show.

Syd Nathan, founder of King Records, said this to me in the 1960's:
"There are lots of people to pick your friends from,
so why not pick friends who can make me money?"

When Misty was six years old she sang "Cabin in the Sky"
on a radio talent program.
That's a tough song to sing even for an adult.
The winner was a kid that tap danced. On the RADIO!
The announcer, Colin Male, later became her brother-in-law,
and he was the announcer on The Andy Griffith Show.

FUN AT HOME...

Misty says, "You're growing old with grace.
And Grace is getting sick of it.

I just asked her what we're having for dinner.
She said, "Eggs Quarantine."

I said, "Why do you love to yell at the newscasters?"
She said, "Can you read fingers?"

I said, "Do you ever have deja vu?"
Misty said, "Didn't you just ask me that a minute ago?"

AND IN CLOSING...

The elections are still about a year and a half away
and the maroons are already posting their cheap shots.
I'll be under the sink if you need me.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ATTENTION: our old email address classics@countrymusicclassics.com
is no more. Please delete that address from your contact list and replace it
with djdclassics@gmail.com


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Compiled by Bill Morrison

Bud Davis born 1921.

Glenn Tubb born 1935.

Billboard magazine retitled its Hillbilly Music Chart "Country & Western," in
1949.

Eddy Arnold's single "Cattle Call" hit the charts 1955.

Marty Robbins & Lee Emerson released "I'll Know Your Gone/How Long Will It Be"
1956.

Lew Dewitt retired from the Statler Brothers 1982.

Jenifer Strait, age 13, daughter of George and Norma Strait, died in a car wreck
1986.

Boudleaux Bryant, age 67, master songwriter, died in Knoxville, TN 1987.
Inducted NSHF 1972, CMHF 1991.

Warner Brothers released David Ball's album "Starlite Lounge" 1996.

The Ryman Auditorium was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2001.

Courtesy Bill Morrison:
<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html>


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

Y'know, all my life I been pushing, struggling, squirming around waiting 'til I
was "growed folks"....searching for the answer to the eternal question everybody
has of "what'cha gonna be when you grow up?" I have pondered this question,
turning it everywhich way...and I finally come to the conclusion, "I don't have
a clue, so why grow up?" That is the answer! As long as you can keep on
slip-slidin' along, keeping your head down and kinda just avoiding looking in
the mirror more than is just absolutely necessary, you can fool yourself into
believing that you still got a long way to go before they close the lid on you,
and folks is filing by saying things like "Don't he look natural?", and "He was
alright I reckon, but he just never did grow up." At which time I want to rear
up and shout, "That is the whole point, you Idiot!
This is what happens when you finally gorw up!" So, I hope to continue my happy
little life, thinking, "Shoot, I can still jump as high as ever...I just can't
stay up as long!" Huh, I just might grow up and be a cowboy...yeah. Or a
Sailor?.....or maybe a fisherman?

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com




&&&&&&&&&

ATTENTION: our old email address classics@countrymusicclassics.com
is no more. Please delete that address from your contact list and replace it
with djdclassics@gmail.com

&&&&&&&&&

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The wicked band together against the righteous and condemn the innocent to
death. But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the rock in whom I take
refuge. He will repay them for their sins and destroy them for their wickedness;
the Lord our God will destroy them.
– Psalm 94:21-23 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment