Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Thursday June 18th, 2015 Country Music CLassics

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday June 18th, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com

STORY BEHIND THE SONG

As the story goes - Hank Williams Jr.s 1982 hit "Honky Tonkin'" was intended to
be a duet with Tanya Tucker - but Hank was reportedly unhappy with Tucker's
performance - so he saved the instrumental tracks and recorded a solo version.

The recording was a part of Hank Jr.s' "High Notes" album before being released
as a single and becoming his sixth number one single - highlighted by a couple
of lines from his dad's hit record "Hey Good Lookin'."

Hank William's Jr.'s Elektra/Curb single "Honky Tonkin'" entered the country
music charts June 5th, 1982 and was in the number one slot on August 7th.

It was his 60's charted song and was on the charts for 15 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: The radio guys were talking about Alan Jackson winning some kind of new
award. Do you have any info?
A: Alan Jackson was voted "Live Act Of The Year" in the 2015 Golden Boot
Awards - with 70% of votes in the category. The Golden Boot Awards are voted on
by viewers of country music website The Boot.

Q: I heard that the Ryman Auditorium is being remodeled. Do you know anything
about that?
A: The Ryman has just finished a $14 million expansion project - including a
refurbished entrance, and a new lobby, gift shop, and restaurant.

Q: I have heard that Loretta Lynn was inducted into The Hall Of Fame. I
thought she was already in the Hall Of Fame?
A: Loretta Lynn was inducted into The Country Music Hall Of Fame in 1988. She
was recently inducted into the Music City Walk Of Fame that placed a permanent
plaque in the sidewalk that stretches from downtown Nashville to the city's
famous Music Row - about a mile away.

Q: Do you have any information about a Waylon Jennings celebration in Austin,
Texas? The radio folks mentioned it.
A: "Outlaw: Celebrating The Music Of Waylon Jennings" will feature Willie
Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joe Shaver and Jessi Colter on July 6th at
Austin's Moody Theater.

Q: My dad used to sing a song about "Look What Thoughts Will Do." he said it
was on the radio years ago. Have you heard of such a song?
A: "Look What Thoughts Will Do" was a # 4 hit for Lefty Frizzell in 1951. It
was on the flipside of "I Love You A Thousand Ways."

Q: Was Glen Campbell in any movies?
A: Glen appeared in "True Grit," "Norwood, " Strange Homecoming," and his
voice was heard in the animated movie, "Rock-A-Doodle."

&&&&&&&&&&&

ATTENTION: our old email address
classics@countrymusicclassics.com is no more. Please delete that
address from your contact list and replace it with
djdclassics@gmail.com

&&&&&&&&&&&

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^

NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1945
At Mail Call Today - Gene Autry
1953
Take These Chains from My Heart - Hank Williams
1961
Hello Walls - Faron Young
1969
Running Bear - Sonny James
1977
Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) - Waylon Jennings
1985
Country Boy - Ricky Skaggs

^^^^^^^^^^^

MAKING THINGS HAPPEN.
By: Jack Blanchard

"How can you believe in something with no proof?"
That question is the basis for agnosticism and atheism.
It has occurred to me that we can start by suspending disbelief.
Whether we realize it or not, we do it every day.
It's easy.

Every time we watch a movie or a play, we suspend our disbelief.
We push it into a corner of our mind
so it doesn't get in the way of our enjoyment of the story.

During the opening credits we are more aware that it's just a movie,
and the people are only actors.
After a few minutes our disbelief fades,
and we begin to believe the drama playing out in front of us.
We get into it because we want to.

Good movies can stick with us for life,
almost as though they are memories of our own experiences.
In a way they are.

In 1969 we were feeling pretty insecure
and were helped by a book titled:
"The Magic of Believing", by Claud Bristol.
The author lays out a formula for suspension of disbelief in real life.
He claims that if we can convince ourselves of something
it increases the odds of it coming true...
that it generates a psychokinetic energy that can change things.
Pushing aside our disbelief, according to Bristol,
shifts our mind into a more powerful gear.

OK. Back to us in 1969.
We were renting a comfortable old house, driving an old car,
and worrying about old bills.

As prescribed in the book,
I started picturing things I wanted to happen.
I even practiced by looking at the sky and moving clouds
by picturing them moving in a way I chose.
I thought I could do it.

Sometimes I would draw pictures of things
to help embed them in my brain.

On Christmas morning 1969
(about three months before our first big hit "Tennessee Birdwalk")
we had a new Corvette in our carport,
wrapped in a red holiday ribbon.

A couple of years later, while moving to a different house,
I was going through boxes of papers,
and found the worn copy of "The Magic of Believing".

Inside the back cover of the paperback
I was surprised to find a drawing of a new Corvette.
I must have drawn it months before it became reality,
in an effort to cram it into my head.

Over the years
I've just about lost the knack of making myself believe.
I went back and read the book again,
but the impact of first discovery was gone.

This morning I was scanning some pictures
to load into my computer
and I came across the photo of Misty and me with the new car.
It made me think.

I'm going to try harder to get that feeling back.
I think that sometimes miracles can happen.
Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

&&&&&&&&&

ATTENTION: our old email address classics@countrymusicclassics.com
is no more. Please delete that address from your contact list and replace it
with djdclassics@gmail.com

&&&&&&&&&
Longtime Grand Ole Opry member Jim Ed Brown - who had solo and group hits and
was a prominent figure on country music television shows, died last week.. He
was 81.
In the mid-1950s, Brown and his two sisters, Bonnie and Maxine, formed the trio
known as The Browns, and had the No. 1 hit "The Three Bells" on both the pop and
country charts in 1959. The three recorded for RCA Records from 1954 to 1967.
Bonnie and Maxine left the group in the mid-1960s to raise their families. Jim
Ed Brown then had a solo career, beginning with the hit "Pop-A-Top Again" in
1967. Others were "Morning" in 1970 and "Southern Loving" in 1973. His last
chart record as a solo was in 1979.
Also in the 1970s, he teamed up with Helen Cornelius on hits including "I Don't
Want to Have to Marry You," ''Saying Hello, Saying I Love You, Saying Goodbye"
(both in 1976); "Lying in Love With You" (1979); "Fools" (1979); and "Don't
Bother to Knock" (1981).
Brown and Cornelius were voted the Country Music Association's duo of the year
in 1977.
The Country Music Hall of Fame announced in March that Brown and his sisters had
been selected for induction along with vocal quartet The Oak Ridge Boys and
longtime session guitarist Grady Martin. The induction ceremony is in October,
but Brown received his Hall of Fame medallion early.
A week before he died, Hall of Fame musician Bill Anderson, Country Music
Association CEO Sarah Trahern and Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum CEO Kyle
Young visited Brown in the hospital to present the medallion to him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Compiled by Bill Morrison

Slim Newman, of "The Georgia Crackers" born Cochran, GA 1910.

Dick Foran, singer/actor, born 1910.

A.P. Carter, age 23, married Sara Dougherty, age 16, in 1915. Both were elected
to the CMHF, along with Maybelle, in 1970.

Zeke Turner of "Zeb and Zeke Turner" born Lynchburg, VA 1923.

Bill Morrison, TNT Recording artist, born Mattoon, IL 1940. Inducted Rockabilly
Hall of Fame 7/1/2003.

Hank Williams made his second appearance on the Grand Ole Opry, this time on the
NBC network portion of the show, in 1949.

Marty Haggard, singer/guitarist, son of Merle Haggard, born Bakersfield, CA
1958.

Marty Robbins released "The Last Time I Saw My Heart/She Was Only Seventeen"
1958.

Eddy Arnold's single "The Last Word In Lonesome Is Me" debuted on the charts
1966.

Henry Maddox, age 46, of "Maddox Brothers & Rose" died 1974.

Paul Howard, age 75, died Little Rock, AR 1984. Member Grand Ole Opry.

Cecil Campbell steel guitar/banjo died 1989.

Davis Daniel released his third album "I Know a Place" on A&M Records 1996.

RCA released "The Essential Chet Atkins" 1996.

The L.A. Times reported, the following country music stars, were honored with a
star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1998: Reba McEntire, Charlie Pride, Freddy
Fender, Alabama and Patsy Cline.

Exile released their album "All the No. 1 Hits" 2002.

Lonestar debuted on daytime TV as they made a guest appearance on Days Of Our
Lives 2004.

Ray Charles, buried in Inglewood Park cemetery in California 2004.

Courtesy Bill Morrison:
<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html>


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

Heading up to the Cumberland Plateau region this morning to meet my partner and
friend, Chuck Lowrance, for some business of Chuck and Stan Classic Country
Foods. Of course, in the conversation we will also be discussing our next big
fishing adventure. Y'know, business is important, but fishing is our life and
has to be tended to. Back in '62, when I first arrived in Nashville with my
guitar, a pair of boots, three pair of Levi's, some well worn underwear,
assorted shirts and my old Navy shaving kit (which my son Scott still uses) and
not much coin to rattle in my jeans, one of the first people I met was Chuck
Lowrance. Chuck was a big time Country DJ in Nashville and we became fast
friends. Chuck went on to other stations in Orlando, Little Rock, Atlanta, Saint
Louis and Wichita, Kansas, while I carried a guitar full of songs around the
World singing my songs and living the life of a Music Gypsy and television guy.
Chuck and I have been best friends all these years, growing up, growing out and
growing ancient. Through the years we have also become fishing partners. We go
all over, me usually dragging my Bass Boat behind, he keeping up his endless
chatter (like any good dj) and entertaining me on our trips. Every year, one of
our big deals is the trip to the Upper Mississippi River in Wisconsin, and that
time of year has arrived agin. Once again I will drag my Bass Boat the 750 miles
of chug hole highways, hot Interstates and Truck Stop coffee. Chuck will fly
into LaCrosse and I will meet him at the Airport and two hours later we will be
on the water heading for one of our secret backwater spots where we will fish
from can see to can't see. It's just what we do. So I been polishing up the old
boat, new carpet put in, motor tuned up and already hooked up behind the RV. My
rods have all been relined, reels oiled and cleaned, tackle boxes sorted out and
assorted Cargo Shorts gathered (my fishing costume). After a week or 10 days of
that schedule, Chuck will fly back to East Tennessee, fish exhausted and needing
to recover (hey, serious fishing is hard work) and I will continue my pursuit of
the elusive Large and Small Mouth Bass, Walleye and the Ferocious Northern Pike.
At some point in my Wisconsin stay, my friend and music collaborator Dan Berger
of LaCrosse, is planning on taking me North of LaCrosse on the Upper Mississippi
River, in an area where I have not fished before. New water, new fish to find.
So, my Summer on the Upper Mississippi River, at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin is
looking good. Denise will enjoy being back in her home State, her and her Sister
MaryJane love to go out to the Sand Bars of the River, which form little Islands
of clean sand and trees to enjoy the water and sun and friends. It is one of the
wonderful things that I got in my marriage to Denise...a wonderful family of
Thornburgs and an introduction to the Great State Of Wisconsin. That reminds me,
our 30th Anniversary is coming up in September of this year, and we plan to
spend it wandering the Scotland countryside. Our actual Anniversary date will be
spent in a Castle that was connected to my McAlister family Heritage. So, all in
all, what's not to like about this Summer of 2015? A storyteller needs to have
new adventures to make memories to talk and write about.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com




&&&&&&&&&

ATTENTION: our old email address classics@countrymusicclassics.com
is no more. Please delete that address from your contact list and replace it
with djdclassics@gmail.com

&&&&&&&&&

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world
gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
– John 14:27 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment