Thursday, October 29, 2015

Thursday October 29th, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday October 29th, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of co-written hit songs came about when one of the partners brought a
title or an idea to the table.

According to Bobby Braddock - T. G. Sheppard and Karen Brooks' 1983 number one,
"Faking Love" was one of those songs.

Braddock commented, "The title was Matraca Berg's idea. She brought it in and we
sat down and wrote the song. T. G. heard the song just a few days after we
finished it and thought it would make a good duet. He called Karen Brooks and
they recorded it."

The T. G. Sheppard - Karen Brooks Warner Bros single, "Faking Love," came on the
country music charts November 29th, 1982 and was at the top of the charts on
February 19th, 1983.

The song was written by Bobby Braddock and Matraca Berg. The single was produced
by Buddy Killen and was on the charts for 20 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

F O R S A L E: 60 vinyl album set of Chet Atkins vinyl LP's – including the
LP's recorded with Boston Pops – Hank Snow – Jerry Reed – Les Paul – Doc Watson
- his Christmas LP – The "Superpickers" album – LP with Danny Davis & Floyd
Cramer – Nashville String Band – most of these were not released on CD and have
long been out of print.

If interested – email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I heard that Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton have a project together. Do you
know anything about it?
A: Kenny Rogers recent Dollywood concert raised over $60,000 for Dolly's
Imagination Library - which provides free books to children up to five years
old.

Q: The radio folks mentioned a country Christmas special on TV. Do you know
when and where?
A: The 2015 CMA Country Christmas special will be taped at The Grand Ole House
on November 7th and will air December 3rd on ABC-TV.

Q: I heard on TV that The Oak Ridge Boys have received another award. Do you
have any information?
A: The Oaks received the Country Song Of The Year award at the Gospel Music
Association's 46th annual Dove Awards for "Sweet Jesus," written by Merle
Haggard and Kenny Vernon.

Q: Whatever happened to the new Hank Williams movie?
A: The new Hank Williams movie "I Saw The Light," featuring Tom Hiddleston as
Hank - premiered October 17th in Nashville and is set for official release in
March 2016.

Q: Years ago I heard a song n the radio about "Where Do I Go From Here." I've
asked a couple of music stores and they don't know anything about it. Do you
know?
A: That song was in Hank's 1969 "Songs my Father Left Me" album.

Q: Have you ever heard a song about "I Found Yesterday While I Was Looking For
Tomorrow." This was on the radio back in the 70's.
A: "Lookin' For Tomorrow- And Findin' Yesterdays" was a number 16 hit for Mel
Tilllis in 1975.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1945
With Tears in My Eyes - Wesley Tuttle
1953
I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know - The Davis Sisters
1961
Walk on By - Leroy Van Dyke
1969
The Ways to Love a Man - Tammy Wynette
1977
Heaven's Just a Sin Away - The Kendalls
1985
Touch a Hand, Make a Friend - The Oak Ridge Boys

^^^^^^^^^^^

ENOUGH ABOUT ME.
By: Jack Blanchard

Misty Morgan, my wife and partner,
has a photographic memory for music.
I call it a "phonographic" memory.

She can play any piece she hears once,
even if it's just background Muzak in a store, but she does not read music.
She has never sung a single note off key.

Her first underage jobs were with pickup combos
around Tonawanda, New York.
They played standards, dance music, and a little country.
As a piano single, she played and sang mostly standards,
Broadway, and popular songs.

When I met her she was playing with a country band
at The Corral Barbecue in West Hollywood, Florida,
under the name "Mary Male".

One night, when we had only been together a short time,
we went to a club to hear an all female jazz quintet.
Somebody asked her to sit in on piano, and she accepted.
I was embarrassed. I said, "Honey, you don't play jazz."
She just said, "I can do it."
As she went on-stage, I went to the rest room.
I didn't want to see it.

Then I heard this great jazz piano,
a mix of Oscar Petersen, Erroll Garner, and Ramsey Lewis.
I went out and looked and it was Misty.
She brought down the house.
I said, "Where the hell did you learn that?"
She just calmly said, "I told you I could do it"

She can play all kinds of music,
and she never plays anything the same twice.

She is the first female entertainer I know of
to play six stacked keyboards onstage.
Sometimes the strings, guitars, fiddles,
and many sounds on our records
are really Misty and her magic keyboards.
She can blend them with Buddy Spicher, Johnny Gimbel,
Vassar Clements, and other musicians,
so that you can't tell. unless you were there.

Her ear for sound is a valuable tool I use when mixing sessions.
I can write the songs,
and we work out the arrangements together,
but she has the final word on the mixdowns.

When I write a new song I sing it to her first.
She never says it's bad.
If she says, "That's really nice" I know it isn't.
I have go back and work on the song until she gives the right reaction.
It's sort of an excitement in her eyes... sometimes even tears.
She's always right. My final editor.

Everybody remarks about her unusual harmony when we sing duets.
I have no idea what she's doing and I don't want to know.
It just works.

On top of all this, she is the perfect straight man to my funny stuff.
She folds her arms and gives me a look that says this:
"Whenever you're through, dummy.
We're trying to do a serious show here."

The audiences love her,
and so do I.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

6:05...Pulled into J&J RV Park, just South of Springfield, Illinois. We hit rain
in
Daveport, Iowa, and the further South we went the heavier it got. Then about an
hour ago the fog started forming. We decided to not try to dog-it-on-in like in
the past, but stop and rest awhile. Sure glad we did cause that bed looks mighty
good. Denise is fixing up some hot soup and cheese sandwiches and we will just
have a merry little picnic right in the middle of the rain storm. That is what I
like about traveling in our RV...our own bed...our own shower and bathroom...our
own kitchen. Shoot, anywhere you stop and park is home. The rain on the tin roof
will lull us to sleep quickly.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com


BLUEHIWAYS TV is now on Dish Network Channel 73

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen,
the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds,
that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So,
because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my
mouth.
– Revelation 3:14-16 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment