Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Thursday October 15th, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday October 15th, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Most songwriters think every song they finish is or should be a super-hit while
other writers sometimes doubt that their song will ever make it out of the
starting gate.

According to Mike Reid - he had his doubts that Ronnie Milsap's 1983 number one
"Inside" would ever be recorded.

Reid commented "I love songs of one-word. and the word - or idea - for that song
came to me while I was grocery shopping one afternoon. Of course we call it love
but the song is actually about the way we internalize our feelings toward one
another. The more I thought about it - the more I thought it was something I
could write about. But I really doubted that the song would be recorded but it
just happened to be something that Ronnie Milsap was looking for."

Ronnie Milsap's RCA Victor single "Inside" came on the country music charts
November 20th, 1982 and was in the number one seat on February 5th, 1983.

It was his 36th charted song and his 22nd number one. The single was on the
charts for 19 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

F O R S A L E: 60 album set of Chet Atkins vinyl LP's – including the LP's
recorded with Boston Pops – Hank Snow – Jerry Reed – Les Paul – Doc Watson - his
Christmas LP – The "Superpickers" album – LP with Danny Davis & Floyd Cramer –
Nashville String Band – most of these were not released on CD and have long been
out of print.

NO DELIVERY – album collection would have to be picked up. If interested –
email me at djdclassics@gmail.com and make an offer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: The radio folks mentioned some George Jones recordings with T. G. Sheppard.
Do you have any details?
A: George Jones is one of several artists included in Sheppard's newest
project - "Legendary Friends & Country Duets" - and set for October 30th
release.

Q: According to my daughter - Ronnie Milsap is into some kind of project with
Rhonda Vincent. Do you know anything about that?
A: Ronnie Milsap is included in Rhonda's new "Christmas Time" album - to be
released at the end of October.

Q: I'm aware of Dolly Parton's Imagination Library which provides free books
to children. It was mentioned on TV that she is now giving CD's with the books.
Do you have any info?
A: Dolly is now providing a CD of a song " I Believe In You," a song she wrote
based on some of the Library's most popular books - along with the free books.

Q: Some radio d.j.'s were talking about a new Grand Ole Opry photo album. Do
you have any details and where I can order one?
A: "The Grand Ole Opry 90th Anniversary Family Album" was released as part of
the Opry's 90th birthday celebration. It is available at Opry.com

Q: We were going to attend George Strait's 2016 Las Vegas shows but were told
they were sold out. Is it possible to find some on online from ticket scalpers?
A: I wouldn't know about the ticket scalpers but more dates are reportedly
being added to Strait's 2016 Las Vegas schedule.

Q: Did Ray Price ever record the Buck Owens song "Together Again?" My sister
says she heard him sing that song on the radio many years ago.
A: The Ray Price version of "Together Again" is in Ray's 1965 "Burning
Memories" album

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE
1947
Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) - Tex Williams
1955
The Cattle Call - Eddy Arnold
1963
Talk Back Trembling Lips - Ernest Ashworth
1971
How Can I Unlove You - Lynn Anderson
1979
Last Cheater's Waltz - T.G. Sheppard
1987
The Way We Make a Broken Heart - Rosanne Cash

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE MUSICIAN'S LIFE.
By: Jack Blanchard

I started playing saloon piano when I was about sixteen...
the only boogie piano guy in the area.
The room would get rockin' and I might play one song for a half hour non-stop.
I got a lot of attention, especially from the girls.
I like attention. Isn't that why we go into the music business?
It can't be the financial security.

ON THE ROAD...
It was getting dark and the exit sign said Casper, Wyoming.
The Holiday Inn was full,
so we started cruising around town looking for someplace to stay.
I went into one motel and heard cowboys yipping and yelling in the lounge.
The clerk said, "I can rent you a room,
but you wouldn't want to bring your wife in here. It's rough on Saturday nights"
We finally found a place and then drove back to the Holiday Inn for dinner,
and had Cherries Jubilee for dessert.

My grandfather was an engineer on the Pennsylvania Railroad.
My grandmother was a telephone operator.
They met over the telephone,
which indirectly resulted in my being here.

TWO HIGH SPOTS IN MY MUSIC LIFE...
1. Roger Miller visiting our recording session.
I walked over to say I was a fan of his,
and he offered his hand and said, "Hi, I'm a fan of yours."
2. I was talking to some songwriters on 16th Avenue, South,
and Harlan Howard said to me, "You're my favorite songwriter."
I bring these up every chance I get.

THE MUSIC CAREER...
There are factors at work we can't control.
Besides change, there are chaos and luck, all wild cards.
If you are really good at what you do,
work hard, and are lucky, you've got a chance.
A chance has always been enough to keep me going.
A ticket in the race.

The Leesburg riots have been cancelled due to a lack of interest.

Misty is proud of her spaghetti sauce and I like it a lot.
I brought home a jar of Paul Newman's sauce a couple of weeks ago,
but she hasn't served it.
I think she's jealous of Paul Newman.
I feel like I'm cheating on her... with Paul Newman.

Groucho Marx sent me an autographed picture, saying "Keep trying, Jack".
I was a big fan of his, and had sent him a humorous little book I'd written.
Groucho was wheelchair bound and I was Alabammy bound.
I know that's cruel but Groucho would have liked it.

Orlando is building a $155 million soccer stadium
in an area where many children are going hungry.

Misty just came from Publix.
She told me a guy said this to her:
"I saw you over there giving the bananas a dirty look.'
She said, "They started it."

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock
Got an early Doctors appointment in Nashville so we are up and stirring around
before daybreak. In less than a week Denise and I head off for Prairie du Chien,
Wisconsin where she has some family business to take care of and I have a fish
meeting, once more before the ice sets in.
I've been toughnin' up with the exercises the Physical Therapist recommended and
it's working good. In the 40 days since my cuttin' I have lost 12 pounds of
ugly, so I'm getting slicker than a wet possum. Don't count the old timer out
yet, boys, I'm coming back lean and meaner than a Mama Grizzly. Well, maybe that
is a slight exaggeration...maybe not a Mama Grizzly...maybe more like a Fighting
Jack Rabbit. Yeah, that's me alright...meaner than a riled-up bunny. Now that is
mean.
Thank the Lord for the Gift of another day.
Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity! It is like
precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on
Aaron's beard, down on the collar of his robe.
– Psalm 133:1-2 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment