Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Thursday October 22nd, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday October 22nd, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Some songs go from the writer's pen to the recording studio to the top of the
charts while others take the long road in getting there.

According to Rodney Crowell - Crystal Gayle's 1983 number one "Til I Gain
Control Again" was one of those tunes that made quite a journey before reaching
the top of the charts.

Rodney commented, "I wrote that song in 1976 while I was with Emmylou Harris'
Hot Band. That was early in my songwriting career but at the time when I moved
songwriting out of my head and into my heart which was a breakthrough for me and
my songs became more acceptable to people because our heads don't have much in
common but our hearts have a lot in common."

Before becoming a hit for Crystal Gayle - the song was recorded Emmylou Harris,
Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Bobby Bare and by Crowell.

Crystal Gayle's Elektra Record single "Til I Gain Control Again" came on the
charts November 20th, 1982 and was in the top slot on February 12th, 1983.

It was her 33rd charted song and her 11th number one. It was on the charts for
22 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

F O R S A L E: 60 vinyl album set of Chet Atkins vinyl LP's – including the
LP's recorded with Boston Pops – Hank Snow – Jerry Reed – Les Paul – Doc Watson
- his Christmas LP – The "Superpickers" album – LP with Danny Davis & Floyd
Cramer – Nashville String Band – most of these were not released on CD and have
long been out of print.

If interested – email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I've heard that Alan Jackson has a new CD. Is this new songs or just his
old hits?
A: "Genuine: The Alan Jackson Story" - a three CD set scheduled for November
6th release - contains 59 songs - including eight previously unreleased tunes -
plus Alan's biggest hits.

Q: I heard on the radio that Ray Stevens and Rhoda Vincent have some kind of
project together. Do you have any info?
A: Ray and Rhonda are among the nominees for the 2015 Inspirational Country
Music Awards - scheduled for October 22nd.

Q: My brother tells me that Aaron Tippin is going to have a TV series. Do you
have any details?
A: It's not a series but "Aaron Tippin 25" is a documentary that will air on
multiple networks. The documentary is a journey thru his 25 years in the music
business.

Q: Is Dwight Yoakam putting on a new TV show? My daughter says it was
mentioned on the TV entertainment news.
A: Dwight is set as executive producer for "Belles and Whistles," a half hour
comedy about a father who - after getting fired from his Silicon Valley tech job
- moves his family to Nashville so that he can pursue his lifelong dream of a
music career.

Q: I have heard that Willie Nelson is seriously ill. Do you know any details?
A: Willie and Merle Haggard have postponed the first few dates of their "2015:
Django and Jimmie Tour" due to a medical issue with Willie - but no information
has been released as to the illness - only that the health issue is not life
threatening - but will require several weeks to recover.

Q: My wife says the radio folks were talking about Dolly Parton having stomach
cancer. Do you know anything about that?
A: According to a recent press release - Dolly states that she absolutely does
not have stomach cancer and has no idea how that rumor was started.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1946
Divorce Me C.O.D. - Merle Travis
1954
I Don't Hurt Anymore - Hank Snow
1962
Mama Sang a Song - Bill Anderson
1970
Sunday Morning Coming Down - Johnny Cash
1978
Tear Time - Dave & Sugar
1986
Just Another Love - Tanya Tucker

^^^^^^^^^^^

MIXING THE VOCALS
By: Jack Blanchard

In Rock and Pop it doesn't seem to matter so much,
but in Country we want to hear the words.
I hear too many recordings where the lyrics are lost.

If the words aren't audible there are several possible culprits.
The singer may not be making them clear,
or the producer and engineer aren't recording them right.

Sometimes the singer tries too hard to sound Southern or Country,
and it comes out slurred and run together.

Here's a trick to get rig of Singer's Lockjaw:
Pretend you're singing to a deaf person who is reading your lips.

When Misty and I record vocalists (ourselves and other artists)
we use a soft-knee compressor on the mike
and maybe later in the mixdown.
The compressor brings out the low notes, the soft words,
and the nuances that give an artist identity.
The compressor should be used conservatively
and should be inaudible.
If a compressor is overdone it can be heard pumping.

Sometimes the voice needs presence, or edge.
To add vocal presence we boost the frequency slightly at 3kHz,
and maybe a touch at 2, 4, and kHz.
For an "airy" vocal sound, 8 to 10kHz works.
Too much presence can make the voice brassy and thin.
A little can make it sound good, and bring out the lyrics.

Enhancers like Aphex and BBE can help with general clarity,
and instrument/vocal separation,
but they are based on phasing and can cause distortion if overdone.

We try to get backup lead instruments to play in the cracks
between the singer's phrases, not during,
and we try not to have too much going on
in the singer's frequency range during the vocals.

Misty and I find it helpful to analyze the lyrics beforehand,
marking on lyric sheets where we want to take breaths,
and which words we want to punch.

If a song is good enough to record
the lyrics should be heard.

Each of us has different methods and tastes.
I'm sharing ours just in case it may help somebody.
******************************************************
A little mixing trick:
To have the string bass heard through small desk speakers
we boost the bass at 400 Hz.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

Well, in the past week I have been to my Back Surgeon, and he said I was doing
great...I've been to my High Blood Pressure Doctor and he said I am doing
incredible, and that is partly because I have lost 12 pounds in the last 30
days. Today I was examined by my Eye Doctor, who proclaimed that my Macular
Degeneration was holding stable and no sign of bleeding or fluid loss in either
eye, which is about as good as you can get with that condition. Now, you must
realize that I am a fella that had never been in a Hospital, and never had major
surgery in my long life. Other than High Blood Pressure (Inherited, my Mother
died from it at age 57) I am as healthy as a Race Horse. My Spinal problem was
the result of an injury I received in 1986, and they told me then that I needed
surgery...but, I have been living with it ever since, and in the past 6 months
it got so bad that my mobility was impaired...so, Praise The Lord, I got it
fixed and I am Pain Free and walking straight as an Oak Tree.

Several of my friends have been in painful back conditions, have had surgery and
still have pain. For those, I pray for healing and a pain free existence. When
you get to this point in the journey the climb gets more difficult, so we
realize that Senior Citizenship is not for Sissies. For all you friends who have
shown a concern for my health, and prayed for my healing...Thank you, I know
that prayer is the answer for whatever challenges we face.

There are no guarantees in this life, but we know that "Everything works
together for good, for those that love the Lord, and are called according to His
Purpose". Living a Life of Purpose and Faith is the only Lifestyle that amounts
to a hill of beans, and you really begin to realize that as you age. As Hank Sr.
sang, under the name of Luke The Drifter, "I'll Never Get Out Of This World
Alive", but my Faith tells me that to "sleep" in Christ is to be with Him for
Eternity. So, every day that we are given, is a Precious Gift, and to llve each
day Pain Free, is the Ultimate Blessing. God Bless Us All.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com


BLUEHIWAYS TV is now on Dish Network Channel 73

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you,
fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young
men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have
overcome the evil one.
– 1 John 2:14 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment