Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Thursday August 21st, 2014 Country Music Classics

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS*

*


Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/

Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer


Thursday August 21st, 2014


CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT www.countrymusicclassics.com


*

STORY BEHIND THE SONG*

*

Most songs are picked days and even weeks before they're actually recorded - but
some were picked just minutes before the session or during the actual session.

According to record producer Bob Montgomery - Razzy Bailey's 1981 number one "I
Keep Coming Back" was one of the latter.

Montgomery heard the song on the radio while on the way to the recording
session.

He thought the song could be a hit for Bailey and after hearing the song - Razzy
agreed.

Razzy Bailey's RCA Victor single "I Keep Coming Back" came on the country music
charts November 22nd, 1980 and was at the top of the charts on February 7th,
1981.

It was his 8th charted song and his second number one.

Bailey placed 31 songs on the country music charts between 1976 and 1989.*

*

*

^^^^^^^^^^*

*

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS


Q: I heard that Asleep At The Wheel is recording some Waylon Jennings songs.
Do you have any information?
A: Asleep At The Wheel's Ray Benson and Willie Nelson have recorded "It Ain't
You" for Benson's current solo project. The song was written by Waylon Jennings
and Gary Nicholson.

Q: Heard on the radio that Reba McEntire is going overseas for some kind of
fight night. Do you have any details?
A: Reba will take part in next month's "Celebrity Fight Night" in Florence,
Italy. The annual event benefits the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center and the
Andrea Bocelli Foundation.

Q: The radio guys were talking about Alan Jackson doing something at the
hall of fame. Do you have any information?
A: Alan Jackson will perform at The Country Music Hall Of Fame and Museum
on October 8th and 22nd as the 2014 Artist In Residence.

Q: Hal Ketchum is my favorite singer but I haven't heard anything about him in
a long time. Is he still singing?
A: Hal is returning to the music business after a five year hiatus dealing
with multiple sclerosis. He plans to release a new CD on an Austin, Texas label
this fall.

Q: On one of the old country music TV shows - Mel Tiliis sang the Mel Street
song, "Borrowed Angel." Did he ever record that song?
A: Mel's version of "Borrowed Angel" is a track in his 1973 "Sawmill" album

Q: Do you know anything about a Loretta Lynn song about "Stepping Out On Me?"
My sister in law says it was one of Loretta's best!
A: You've Just Stepped In - From Stepping Out On Me." was a number 2 hit for
Loretta in 1968.


^^^^^^^^^

Your comments, suggestions, gripes, etc. concerning this newsletter---are
welcome. Email *to:
*Classics@countrymusicclassics.com



* ^^^^^^^^^^*



* NUMBER ONE ON THIS DATE:*



*1948*
/Bouquet of Roses/ - Eddy Arnold *

*1956*
/I Walk the Line/ - Johnny Cash *

*1964*
/Dang Me/ - Roger Miller *

*1972*
/Bless Your Heart/ - Freddie Hart & The Heartbeats *

*1980*
/Tennessee River/ - Alabama *

*1988*
/Bluest Eyes in Texas/ - Restless Heart*





^^^^^^^^^*

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:*

Our short form daily radio feature, *Story Behind The Song* is
*now available to radio
stations.
NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)

The feature is available at *no charge*.*

For information, email me at
*classics@countrymusicclassics.com

*

^^^^^^^^^^*

AROUND OUR HOUSE.*

By: Jack Blanchard

Misty brought in a rose she grew in the yard.
It's beautiful, but it has no smell.
She calls it her Monsanto Rose.
I said, "'Monsanto Rose' sounds like a song."

We've been watching the news
and I've come to this conclusion:
If you shoot first and ask questions later
you won't get many answers.

I had a little problem today and tried to figure it out.
Like a riddle, it became an obsession and I spent an hour on it.
I took a break and explained it to Misty, and she said this:
"Soften up on the goofy stuff."

I'm for the little guy.
Although I have wealthy friends,
I wouldn't do anything to hurt them.
I think rich people do OK without my support.
I'm not running the world, so who cares what I think?
I'm always surprised when somebody does.

There are only about a dozen basic dramatic situations
in all of literature.
The rest are variations on these...
Saying the same things in different ways.

Here are a couple of pictures you might find interesting...
THE GRAND OLD OPRY SET LIST
posted backstage at The Ryman Auditorium, April 4th, 1970.
Click here:
<http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae7/m_morgan/Pictures%20in%20Progress/OPRYSETLIST2_zps8f34138e.jpg>

1964. ANOTHER LIFE:.
When this picture was taken we had no idea we'd be on major labels.
We were playing lounges all over the map
for just enough money to get to the next gig.
Click here:
<http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae7/m_morgan/LEXINGTONC_zps7d523565.png>

There's a voice in my head. It's mine.
I don't know if it's normal,
narrating everything that's going on, but I'm used to it.
I'm glad nobody else can hear it.
It's like peeing in the pool
with an innocent smile on your face.

Jack Blanchard*

*_http://_www.jackandmisty.net* - http://www.jackandmisty.net-UNAS
-





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

*

T*ODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY*

Compiled by Bill Morrison*

*

Luches Kessinger of the Kessinger Brothers, born Kanawha County, WV
1896.


Kenny Rogers, born "Kenneth Donald Rogers," in Houston, TX 1938.


Harold Reid of the "Statler Brothers" born Agusta County, VA 1939.


James Burton, born Dubberly, LA, _1939_. Played guitar for Elvis
Presley, Ricky Nelson, Emmylou Harris and many other top names.


Eddy Arnold's single "Hep Cat Baby" charted in 1954.


Nick Kane of "The Mavericks" born "Nicholas James Kane" in Jerusalem, GA
1954.


Patsy Cline recorded "Crazy" 1961.


Waylon Jennings debuted on the charts with "That's The Chance I'll Have To Take"
1965.


Sam McGee, age 81, long time Grand Ole Opry member, died in a tractor accident
on his Tennessee farm 1975.


Hoyle Nix, age 87, fiddler/bandleader/songwriter, died 1985.


Johnny Cash signed with Polygram Records 1986.


Johnny Cash recorded his final song "Engine 143" at Cash Cabin Studio in
Hendersonville, TN, three weeks prior to his death 2003.


Tim McGraw's single "Live Like You Were Dying" topped the charts
2004.


Johnny Lee, Mac Davis and J.P. Richardson, "The Big Bopper" were inducted into
the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, in Carthage, TX 2004.


Courtesy Bill Morrison:
*<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html*> -

<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html>

*






^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*

*

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH

By: Stan Hitchcock*

*

*Late Night At The Old Farm House-Stan Hitchcock *

*Well, I stumbled on out of the old farm house, facing the World unafraid
today. After the Hummingbird rejection I had to go out and get my MoJo
back...it's just like when you fall off of a horse...you gotta get up and crawl
back on right then. So, I drove on down to Gallatin and went to the Super Kroger
Store...yessir, just jumped right in the middle of it all...going up one aisle
and down another...braving the old purple haired women that tried to run me over
with the Kroger cart...made it through unscathed...not a mark on me...so I
started feeling my old confidence returning...shoot if I can make it through
these crazy cart daredevils careening around corners and down aisles at
breakneck speed, their jaws clenched in grim determination...I can make it
anywhere. *

*So, I am back to my old confident self, tonight...I got to remembering,
shoot I am a Pickle Mogul now...I've got two big jars of Million Dollar Pickles
in my fridge that I made yesterday...$2,000,000.00 worth of pickles! Yep, after
all this time I finally hit the Pickle Jackpot! Thinking about running a Pickle
Special...buy one jar...get the other one FREE! That ought to do'er. *

*Stan Hitchcock*

www.hitchcockcountry.com* -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com





*

*

^^^^^^^^^*

*

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:*

*

If anyone has caused grief, he has not so much grieved me as he has grieved all
of you to some extentnot to put it too severely. The punishment inflicted on him
by the majority is sufficient. Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort
him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you,
therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. *

* 2 Corinthians 2:5-8 (NIV)*

*



*

^^^^^^^^*

*

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:


*country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com*-UNA
S-

*

*

^^^^^^^^^^^*

*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment