Saturday, August 2, 2014

Friday August 1st, 2014 Country Music Classics

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS*

*


Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/

Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer


Friday August 1st, 2014


CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT www.countrymusicclassics.com


*

STORY BEHIND THE SONG*

*

You would think that using or adding hand-clapping and finger-snapping to a
record would be as simple as falling off a log but according to record producer
David Malloy such was not the case for Eddie Rabbitts 1981 number one I Love A
Rainy Night.*

*

Malloy commented, First of all the idea for the song came from Eddie Rabbitt. He
was going thru some old tapes he had kept in a foot locker and found a melody
with the repeating phrase of I love a rainy night. *

*

He mentioned it to Malloy and co-writer Even Stevens and the three of them wrote
the song.*

*

Malloy had an idea for snaps and claps - using alternating finger-snaps and
handclaps within a rhythm pattern which became the centerpiece for the record -
but also became a nightmare in the studio. They tried various combinations of
the pattern with very little success and finally brought in percussionist
Farrell Morris to finish the job.*

*

Eddie Rabbitts Elektra Records I Love A Rainy Night came on the country music
charts November 8th, 1980 and made it to the top of the charts January 17th,
1981.*

*

The single also scored a number one on the pop music charts.*

*

The song was written by Eddie Rabbitt, Even Stevens and David Malloy. The single
was produced by David Malloy.*

*

*

*

^^^^^^^^^^*

*

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS


Q: I heard that Alan Jackson has some project at the hall of fame. Do you have
any details?
A: The Country Music Hall Of Fame will unveil an exhibit highlighting Alan
Jackson's 25 year career August 29th thru March 2015.

Q: There was an item on the TV news about a guy named Silverstein. I never
heard of him. Who was he?
A: Shel Silverstein was a children's author and songwriter - who wrote Johnny
Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" and Loretta Lynn's "One's On The Way." He died in 1999
and will be remembered in an upcoming biopic titled "A Boy Named Shel: The Life
And Times Of Shel Silverstein"

Q: I heard the radio guys talking about a new Randy Travis album. Do you have
any information?
A: August 19th is the release date for Travis new album: "Influence Vol. 2: The
Man I Am."

Q: I was listening to a classic country station while driving thru Memphis late
one night and they played the song "Pass Me By" by Ronnie Milsap. I didn't he
recorded that song. Do you have any information?
A: Milsap's version of "Pass Me By" is a track in his 1973 "Where My Heart
Is" album.

Q: I heard a song on the radio years ago about "You Can't Judge A Book By The
Cover." Do you have any information on such a song?
A: The song was a number 96 hit for Troy Seals in 1974

Q: Reba McEntire's "What Am I Gonna Do About You" is one of my favorites. My
Mom says that song was on the radio by someone else before Reba's record. Is
that true?
A: Con Hunley had a number 48 hit on the song a year before Reba's number one
in 1987


^^^^^^^^^

Your comments, suggestions, gripes, etc. concerning this newsletter---are
welcome. Email *to:
*Classics@countrymusicclassics.com



* ^^^^^^^^^^*



* NUMBER ONE ON THIS DATE:*



*1952*
/Are You Teasing Me/ - Carl Smith *

*1960*
/Please Help Me, Im Falling/ - Hank Locklin *

*1968*
/Folsom Prison Blues/ - Johnny Cash *

*1976*
/Teddy Bear/ - Red Sovine *

*1984*
/Angel in Disguise/ - Earl Thomas Conley*







^^^^^^^^^*

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:*

Our short form daily radio feature, *Story Behind The Song* is
*now available to radio
stations.
NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)

The feature is available at *no charge*.*

For information, email me at
*classics@countrymusicclassics.com

*

^^^^^^^^^^*

*Government.*

By: Jack Blanchard*



*Most people are honest at times.*



*Politicians and corporate pirates enjoy being honest when there's a profit
in it.*



*Lawyers find it refreshing to defend an innocent client.*



*Governments don't work as planned because it requires people to be
honorable *

*even when it's inconvenient and nobody's looking.*



** * **



*Good government is not natural to our species. *

*Attempts at it just turn into something more natural, *

*like a pecking order. A food chain.*



*The main function of government is to gather power, *

*and keep the poor from attacking the rich.*



*A free market system, if we're not careful, *

*can evolve into a winner-take-all system.*



*The minority with the power makes the laws, *

*and each law, by its nature, is a restriction of freedom.*



** * **



*I wouldn't mind any of this if I were in with the bigshots.*

*

Jack Blanchard*

*_http://_www.jackandmisty.net* - http://www.jackandmisty.net-UNAS
-





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

*

T*ODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY*

compiled by Bill Morrison*

*

Leon Chappelear, singer/bandleader, born Tyler, TX 1909.


The Carter Families first recording session was held in Bristol, TN,
_1927_, for Ralph Peer and Victor Records.


Ramblin' Jack Elliott born New York City 1931.


The American Federation of Musicians "AFM," called a nation wide strike against
record labels, 1942.


Charlie & Ira Louvin recorded "My Baby's Gone" 1958.


Johnny Cash left SUN Records, and signed with Columbia in Nashville,
1958.


Buck Owens' released "Excuse Me (I Think I've Got A Heartache)/I've Got A Right
To Know" _1960_. The record peaked at No. 2 on the charts.


Roy Orbison recorded " Pretty Woman" 1964,


Johnny Burnette, age 29, died in a boating accident in California
1964.


Merle Haggard recorded his first #1 record "The Fugitive," 1966.


George Ducas, singer/songwriter, born Texas City, TX 1966.


Howdy Forrester, age 65, Country fiddle virtuoso, Smokey Mountain Boys, died
1987.


Brooks & Dunn's "Boot Scoot Boogie" was #1 on the charts 1992.


RCA released "The Essential Floyd Cramer" 1995.


Pam Tillis' "Greatest Hits" album certified platinum 2001.


Gary Allan's CD "Alright Guy" certified gold 2002.

*

Courtesy Bill Morrison:
*<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html*> -

<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html>








^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*

*

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH

By: Stan Hitchcock*

*

*I'm a mountain person, been in them all my life except the 4 years in the
Navy in the 50's. I'm never comfortable for very long in flat land, I long for
the shelter of the mountains around me. *

*Our home farm in the Ozarks where I grew up was called Pleasant Valley
Farm. It is a beautiful valley surrounded by the hills of the Ozark plateau. I
lived there until 4 months after my 18th birthday when I left for the Navy. I
have lived for a longer period of time in the mountains of Tennessee, and have
enjoyed the same feeling of surrounding comfort. *

*I suppose it is something in your heritage that draws you to certain areas
where you feel at home, and with me it's not just mountains because I don't get
the same feeling in the Rockies although i love to go there and think they are
beautiful, and I had no special feeling when I stood at the foot of Mt Fuji in
Japan....beautiful, but no comfort. No, it is the subliminal knowledge, ancestry
placed in some part of your inner being, many, many generations ago, starting
maybe in the Scotch Highlands, moving to the Appalachian Mountains and finally
on to the Ozark Mountains, that your place in this universe is in the subtle
mountain ranges of the center of our great country. *

*One branch of my family tree, The Proctors, were mountain men who came
through the Cumberland Gap in the 1700's with the Dan'l Boone party and looked
out across the beautiful valleys of Kaintuck, wild, untamed and bountiful with
game and gently rolling grasslands that seemed to stretch as far as the eye can
see. These men were settling land that had never been settled and they had to
fight hard to do it. *

*It's almost like the situation during the Civil War, when kin fought kin.
Most of the Appalachian settlers, at some point in their history had kin that
met, mingled, bred, married into the Cherokee Nation that had lived in this same
paradise longer than anyone knew. Very few Southern Appalachian families, that I
know, that do not have some Cherokee running through them. And fight both
cultures did, and the Proctors were strong Indian fighters with Boone. *

*The McAlister side of my family, on my Grandma Hitchcock's side, were from
the Carolina Mountains, but moved West, like all of my people, first into
Kentucky and then into Illinois, around Peoria County, Illinois. And, by the way
there are some beautiful rolling hills in that part of Illinois. *

*The Hitchcock's came over from England and Wales and settled in the
Carolina's. They moved through Tennessee and on to Illinois also around Peoria,
and married some beautiful McAlister girls. *

*While on my mothers side, The Wallis men were headed into Indian Territory
in Arkansas in 1840, leaving Tennessee and headed farther West, to be some of
the first into that Ozark Plateau. None of them got very far from the hills and
my branch moved to the Ozark Mountains just in time for me to grow up in them,
which I thought was mighty thoughtful of Mom and Dad. So my stage was set, my
preference checked, my decision made and here I am, an Ozark Mountain boy,
living in the Rolling Hills of Middle Tennessee. I watch the Sun come up over a
Mountain, here, just like I did as a kid in the Ozarks. Sunrise through the
mountains has always been a special time of day for me. *

*Stan Hitchcock

www.hitchcockcountry.com* -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com





*

*

^^^^^^^^^*

*

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:*

*

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye and pay no
attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother,
Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye, when you yourself fail to see
the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye,
and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brothers eye. *

Luke 6:41-42 (NIV)



*

^^^^^^^^*

*

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:


*country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com*-UNA
S-

*

*

^^^^^^^^^^^*

*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment