Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Thursday May 18th, 2017 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday May 18th, 2017

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

According to the record books - a lot of hit songs became hits after being
turned down by other artists and Patsy Cline's number one "I Fall To Pieces" was
one of those tunes!

The song was written by Harlan Howard and Hank Cochran. Howard's wife at the
time - Jan Howard - urged the pair to record a demo on their song and shop it
around. They played the song for Roy Drusky who liked it and took it to his
producer - Owen Bradley would not let Drusky record the song - but insisted that
it needed a female singer. Patsy Cline reportedly came into Bradley's office as
Drusky was being turned down to record the song.

Cline was not that crazy about the tune - she called it a "hand-me- down" - but
agreed to record it. And the rest is country music history.

Patsy Cline' Decca single "I Fall To Pieces" came on the country charts April
3rd, 1961 and made it to number one where it stayed for two weeks. It was her
3rd charted song and was on the charts for 39 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From the storage room: 350 page oversize 10&1/2 X 13 inch hardback "COUNTRY
MUSIC – PEOPLE – PLACES & MOMENTS THAT SHAPED THE COUNTRY MUSIC SOUND" – 2006
– Story of self-made stars – from singing cowboys to tough hillbilly women to
the latest redneck sensations – hundreds of photos – color and black & white -
$25.00 and I'll pay shipping.

PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: Is there a new Charley Pride album on the market? According to my daughter,
the radio folks were talking about it.
A: "Music in My Heart" - Charley Pride's first record since 2011 - is
scheduled for release on July 7th.

Q: Any more news concerning Loretta Lynn
A: Loretta is reportedly out of the hospital and in rehab and continues to
improve from a stroke she suffered May 5th.

Q: Why isn't Steve Wariner a member of The Grand Old Opry? I think he is a
great singer.
A: Steve Wariner was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry on May 11, 1996

Q: My son tells me that Johnny Cash had a doctorate degree. Is that true?
A: Johnny Cash received an honorary degree from National University in San
Diego, California in 1976.

Q: I thought "Move It On Over" was Hank Williams first number one but my son
says that it was "Honky Tonkin". Can you clear that up?
A: "Move It On Over" was Hank's first charted song and peaked at number 4 in
1947. His first number one was "Lovesick Blues" in 1949.

Q: A friend of mine talks about a Roger Miller song he loved titled "Lock and
Stock." Have you heard of that record?
A: "Lock, Stock & Teardrops" was a number 26 hit for Roger Miller in 1963

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1946
Two Step - Bob Wills

1954
I Really Don't Want to Know - Eddy Arnold

1962
She Thinks I Still Care - George Jones

1970
My Love - Sonny James

1978
It's All Wrong, But It's All Right - Dolly Parton

1986
Ain't Misbehavin' - Hank Williams, Jr.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison.

1933 - Jimmie Rodgers recorded "Last Blue Yodel (The Women Make A Fool
Out of Me.)"

1936 - Leon Ashley was born Leon Walton in rural Newton County, Georgia. Leon
was the first artist to write, publish, record, and distribute his own songs.

1942 - Rodney Dillard of "The Dillards," was born in East St. Louis, Illinois.
The Dillards appeared frequently on the Andy Griffith Show as the Darling
Family.

1946 - Bob Wills topped the charts with "New Spanish Two Step."

1948 - Joe Bonsall member of the "Oakridge Boys," was born in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania.

1949 - Gary Scruggs, member of the "Earl Scruggs Revue," was born in Knoxville,
Tennessee.

1952 - George Strait a.k.a. "King George" was born in Poteet, Texas. He was
inducted into the CMHF in 2006.

1954 - Eddy Arnold topped the charts with "I Really Don't Want To Know."

1957 - Rusty and Doug Kershaw made their debut on the Grand Ole Opry.

1959 - Waylon Jennings released "When Sin Stops," on Brunswick Records.

1959 - Johnny Horton's Columbia single "The Battle of New Orleans," went to #1.
The record remained at the top of the chart for 10 weeks. Johnny Horton is not a
member of the Country Music Hall of Fame.

1968 - Jerry Wallace's Liberty single "Another time, Another Place, Another
World" charted today. The song was written by Eddie Dean and Buddy Landon. This
was Mr. Smooth's 6th single to make the Billboard magazine chart.

1970 - Capitol Records released Buck Owens' single "The Kansas City Song."

1975 - B. J. Thomas' "Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song," topped the
charts.

1978 - "The Buddy Holly Story," premiered in Dallas, Texas.

1985 - Vice President George Bush and First Lady Barbara, visited with the
artists backstage at the Grand Ole Opry.

1986 - The made-for-TV movie "Stagecoach," starring Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash,
Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and John Schneider, debuted on CBS.

1993 - Curb released Tennessee Ford's "Best Sacred Memories."

1999 - Arista released Radney Foster's album "See What You Want To See."

2003 - The funeral for June Carter Cash was held at First Baptist Church in
Hendersonville, Tennessee. June was laid to rest in Hendersonville Memory
Gardens next to her mother Maybelle, her father, Ezra, and her sister, Anita.
1800 people attended the ceremony. Rosanne Cash was the only family member to
speak at the funeral. John Carter Cash's wife Laura played the fiddle during the
service.

2004 - Johnny Cash's new authorized biography "Cash, An American Man," was
released.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE TEAR.
By: Jack Blanchard

There's something about a photograph.
Many people believe
that having your picture taken steals some of your soul.
I look at pictures of friends and relatives who have died,
and I can see that soul, especially in the eyes,
the expression, and even the body language.

I have a picture of my mother
taken at a holiday gathering during her later years.
She was smiling, and seemed to be in the Christmas spirit.
I've looked at that picture many times,
but a few weeks ago, I enlarged it,
and thought I saw something.

I hit the 200% button, made it really big,
and zoomed in on her face.
The smile was still there,
but in her eye I saw something unexpected:
A tear.

I sat back in shock and took a deep breath.
What could she have been thinking?
Was it a tear of joy or sadness?
Did she know that it may be one of her last family moments?
I asked her that question aloud,
but the photograph didn't answer.

I'm sure we were all enjoying the moment together,
but at the same time, taking it for granted.
You always think there will be many more.
Now I realize my mother was not taking that moment for granted.

I keep going back to look at the photo,
even though it's burned into my mind,
and my heart.

When I discovered the tear behind her smile,
I had tears to match hers.
We spoke to each other beyond the limits of time and space.

There is soul in a photograph.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock

Well, on the Front Porch, a gentle morning breeze lifts the Flag, in a proud
way, to meet another day. As I take another gulp of good strong coffee, it
reminds me of the Blessing of living in this Great Country, still Free, still
Strong...and in spite of those that would change it all for the worse...still
The America that we love and support.
This Country has always been in a fight against those that would destroy it, and
it truly is a Country worth fighting for. I openly say that I love Jesus,
without the fear of a mob stoning me to death for my belief, I am free to raise
my family in the ways that our Forefathers and mothers passed on down to us, I
am free to write or say whatever is on my mind, to oil and keep my guns in tip
top condition, along with my fishing gear and to wade the creeks or fish the
Lakes when ever I choose. The basic rights, given by God to all, I will always
fight to protect.

Seems there will always be some Self-named group of rabid fanatics that hate us
simply for the Freedom that we enjoy, nothing new about that. And now we are
threatened by home-grown terrorists who have sworn to kill us all, but Mountain
Folks have always had a willingness to protect themselves and their clan, I
'spect those Urban Terrorists might find it a little difficult to root out the
Country people up in the hills and hollers, most of whom are dead shots, and
know how to slip through the woods like their Great Grandfathers had to do on
occasion when someone threatened them.

So, I sit here with my coffee, long past my prime, but still with the Fire of
Liberty burning in our chest. Yessir, I can still answer any call that comes our
way. So, wave on old Flag, be proud of what you stand for, and of the people
that will always stand by you.

Yessir, there is just something about the Flag waving in the morning breeze that
charges your battery. Always has, always will. stan

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord
are trustworthy, making wise the simple.


– Psalm 19:7 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment