Wednesday, May 3, 2017

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS Thursday May 4th, 2017

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday May 4th, 2017

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

There have been times when a singer had to re-record a song just to get it right
and such was the case of Patsy Cline number one "Crazy."

Cline reportedly didn't like "Crazy" the first time she heard it - because of
Willie Nelson's demo of the song. Willie sometimes sang in front of the beat
and sometimes behind the beat - which sometimes made the song hard to grasp -
hard to decipher. Patsy could not conquer the song after a four hour recording
session - but she agreed to come back later and over dub her vocals over the
instrumental tracks. And it worked on the first take.

Patsy Cline's Decca Records single "Crazy" entered the country music charts
November 13th, 1961 and peaked at number two. It was her 4th charted song and
was on
the charts for 21 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

STORAGE ROOM FIND:

FROM THE STORAGE ROOM: 583 page hardback "TELEVISION GUEST STARS" – an
illustrated career chronicle for 678 performances of the sixties and seventies.
Vital
information on each performer with a biographical sketch and career profile PLUS
television series episode credits for 1960 – 1979 dramatic series along with
series
regular roles and telefilm credits shown for each performer. Hundreds of photos
– published in 1993 – sold new for $75.00 – one of a kind reference book – yours
for $30
– FREE SHIPPING - PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to
djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I heard the radio folks taking about a Leroy Van Dyke highway. Do you have
any info on that?
A: A portion of Highway 50 - west of Sedalia, Missouri - has been designated
the Leroy Van Dyke Highway.

Q: Is Dolly Parton teaching a college course? My daughter says it was mentioned
on TV.
A: "Dolly Parton's America: From Sevierville to the World" is a new course
being taught at The University Of Tennessee in Knoxville. Dolly is not teaching
the course which is part of the honors history program.

Q: I have a copy of the Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter record "Suspicious
Minds" that I bought in 1976. My dad says that record came out long before that
time. Is that true?
A: Waylon and Jessi's first recording of that song peaked at # 25 in 1970. It
was re-released in 1976 and made it to # two.

Q: My mom says she heard Vern Gosdin sing the Waylon Jennings song "The
Chokin' Kind" on the radio. When did he record that song?
A: Vern's version of that song is in his 1977 "Til The End" album.

Q: Back in the 60's there was a song on the radio about "How come your dog don't
bite nobody but me." Who wrote that song and who had the record?
A: Mel Tillis and Wayne Walker wrote the song. Webb Pierce and Mel Tillis duet
recording peaked at number 25 in 1963.

Q: I know the song "I Love You Because" was a big song several years ago. Who
had the hit on that song?
A: Leon Payne, Ernest Tubb, Clyde Moody, Johnny Cash, Carl Smith, Jim Reeves,
Don Gibson and Roger Whittaker all had chart versions of that song.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.


For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1948
Anytime - Eddy Arnold

1956
Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins

1964
My Heart Skips a Beat - Buck Owens

1972
Chantilly Lace - Jerry Lee Lewis

1980
Are You on the Road to Lovin' Me Again - Debby Boone

1988
It's Such a Small World - Rodney Crowell & Rosanne Cash

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison.

1905 - Al Dexter 1905~1984, singer, songwriter, and guitarist was born Clarence
Albert Poindexter, in Jacksonville, Texas.

1929 – Bob Money founding member of the "Jordanaires" (1948~1951) was the
groups' first piano player. Bob was born today in Mount Vernon, Missouri. He was
replaced

by Gordon Stoker in 1951.

1933 - Bobby Austin singer, songwriter, was born in Wenatchee, Washington.

1949 - Stella Parton was born in Sevierville, Tennessee.

1952 - J.L. Joe Frank 1900~1952, promoter and talent manager, died at age 52.
Inducted into the CMHF in 1967.

1956 - Gene Vincent recorded "Be Bop A Lula," in Nashville.

1956 - Carl Perkins topped the country charts with "Blue Suede Shoes."

1959 - Randy Travis was born Randy Bruce Traywick in Marshville, North Carolina.

1959 - The 1st Annual Grammy Awards were presented this evening. The Kingston
Trio won the first ever Country Music Grammy for "Tom Dooley,"

1963 - The Wilburn Brothers nationally syndicated television show debuted.

1966 - Ray Pillow joined the Grand Ole Opry.

1974 - Merle Haggard's self-penned Capitol single "Things Aren't Funny Anymore"
sat atop the Billboard magazine chart.

1975 - Marty Robbins wrecked his racecar in the Winston 500 at Talladega,
Alabama.

1987 - Warner Records released Randy Travis' second album "Always & Forever."
The album charted on May 30th, and climbed the chart to #1 where it remained for
43

weeks. The album contained four #1 singles "Forever And Ever, Amen" "Too Gone
Too Long," "I Won't Need You Anymore" and "I Told You So." This was Randy's
biggest
selling album.

1988 - Rodney Crowell & Rosanne Cash went to # 1 with "It's Such A Small World."

1991 - Travis Tritt made his debut appearance on the Grand Ole Opry.

2003 - The Country Music Foundation's annual medallion ceremony, which honors
new Hall of Fame inductees, saluted Porter Wagoner and Bill Carlisle at the Hall
of Fame in 2003.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

A SONG WITH A SEQUEL.
By: Jack Blanchard

This is the first instance in which I wrote a song
and later continued the story with another song...
a sequel.

The first one concerning this couple was
"There Must Be More to Life (Than Growin' Old)".
They were caught in a familiar life trap.

Part 1. "THERE MUST BE MORE TO LIFE
(Than Growin' Old)".

(He sings:)
Sky full of factory smokestacks...
Hot cinders paint the snow black.
Turn up my collar to the cold.
My old boots are wet and dirty.
Missed my bus at seven thirty.
Aw, There Must Be More To Life Than Growin' Old.

(She sings:)
Each day seems like the last one;
Each year, just like the past one;
As if they stamped them from a mold.
Somehow it seems to be
The only change is you and me.
There Must Be More To Life Than Growin' Old

(Together:)
There Must Be More To Life Than Growin' Old.
What happened to the dreams we used to hold?
We never asked for cities paved with gold.
There Must Be More To Life Than Growin' Old.

* * *
In the second song they are "breaking out"...
as painful as the process is.
They aren't angry at each other,
just tired and disappointed.

I think sad songs can help troubled people
by showing them they aren't alone.
We hope the man and woman in these songs
find their way to better times.

Here's Part 2. "SECOND TUESDAY IN DECEMBER."

(He sings:)
Second Tuesday in December,
Icy rain is falling down
I took the bus out to the city line,
And then I watched it turn around.
Now as I walk down past the junkyard
By the closed-up drive-in show
I realize that really leavin'
Is the only way I'll ever go

(She sings:)
It was the seventh of September,
Nineteen hundred sixty nine
Ninety-five degrees and rising,
We crossed the Pennsylvania line.
We paid a judge our last ten dollars
To bless us with his legal seal.
I guess that puttin' love on paper
Doesn't always make it real

(Together:)
Second Tuesday in December,
Icy rain is coming down.
All the snow that's left from Monday
Lies gray and frozen on the ground
It's hard to understand this feeling
That a part of me is gone
Second Tuesday in December,
Looks like winter's comin' on.
Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock

I've worked, at one thing or the other, ever since I was about 10 years old.
Forking corn silage out of the silo to feed the cattle and horses on our farm,
or shocking oats
behind the Binder cutting the oat field to feed the horses in the barn during
the Winter, or walking the miles of fences to make repairs…just general stuff
that all farm kids had to do.

The job that I loved best was driving the old 1930's Ford flat-bed truck in the
Alfalfa field, while the men and larger boys would load the bales of hay,
stacked as high as they could go, to be taken to the barn and bucked up into the
hay loft. I had been doing this job since I was 8 years old, so by 10 I was an
old hand at it.
Starting out, at 8, I had to sit on my knees to see over the steering wheel, and
when we would get to the end of the row of bales, dad would have to run around,
open the
door, push me over, and turn the truck around for the next row. By 10, I could
wrestle the wheel around and pretty much turn it myself, but I still could not
reach the pedals. There was that one time when I kinda run through the fence and
almost ran it into the creek before dad could get there to stop it. But, such is
life on the farm…stuff happens.

I think of the year of 10 years old as a particularly free and wonderful year.
By the time I reached 12, I was expected to toughen up and be responsible, not
run free like a
young savage. The year of 10 was a woods running, creek wading, wild animal
raising kind of life that only lasted a short time, but was very memorable.
In 1946, ten years old is an age in between. You are still treated like a little
kid, by your Mother, your Dad is so busy with his work that he hardly notices
that you follow
him, every where he goes, just wanting to be around to learn Man things, 'cause
in your own mind you are starting to feel pretty dang big.
In the early Summer, after school is out, and before the hay fields start
producing, and causing everyone to be doing their jobs to get it cut, baled and
in the barn…I would
run free, ranging across the woods and mountains that surrounded our valley.
I had an old black and white shepherd dog named Laddy, that was my constant
companion in whatever adventure might develop, whether it be snake killin',
ridge runnin',
tree climbin' or meeting in the woods with some of the other boys that lived on
nearby farms. Our secret society of farm boys knew every inch of the heavy
woods, the
meadows and the flowing creek that ran the length of our 400 acres
Our favorite Spring time adventure was climbing up into the tall trees, looking
into the nest we found up there, if there was babies in the nest that were big
enough, we
would bring them back to our farm house where my dad had built me a very large
cage for my captured animals. Now, I'm talking BIG cage, four foot square,
covered in
heavy duty wire screen, with a big door that allowed me to walk in. At any given
time, in the Spring and Early Summer, the cage, sitting under a big elm tree in
the back
yard, would be home to: Owls, Hawks, Gray Squirrels, Red Fox Squirrels, Flying
Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums…almost had a baby Fox once, but it outrunned all of
us. I
would keep these babies, feeding them with eyedroppers 'til they got big enough
to eat and make pets of them. By the end of Summer they would be big enough to
turn
loose back in the woods. Some of the Squirrels I would keep for long time pets.
I had one Flying Squirrel that I would put in my denim shirt pocket and take to
school with
me, he would stay in my pocket, occasionally poking his head out to get a piece
of nut, and then settling back down to snooze some more. It was a great way to
grow up,
running free, and then learning to work like a man as you got older. I loved
growing up on our Ozark farm.

Deep inside this old body, still lives that Ozark boy, eager to run and search
out all the exciting mysteries of the World I live in. and today, when I get
into my truck, I almost
want to get up on my knees to see over the wheel again, experience that thrill
of first discovery…..but, first discoveries only happen to 10 year olds, and
after that they are
only old man memories. The picture is like I remember of our Pleasant Valley
Farms, on H Highway near Pleasant Hope, MO where I grew up. stan

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;


– Psalm 66:18 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment