Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Thursday December 15th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday December 15th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

According to Sheb Wooley - a tune he wrote titled "Peekin Thru The Keyhole -
Watching Jole Blon" was one of the first songs he recorded and also one of his
first songs
to be recorded by another artist.

Sheb commented, "I had recorded some songs in Dallas, Texas and they were out on
Bluebonnet Records. And "Peekin' Thru The Keyhole Watchin' Jole Blon" was one of

them. Then I went to Nashville and while I was there I called Steve Sholes at
RCA Victor. He told me his office was closed that day but when I told him I had
come all the
way from Fort Worth, Texas to see him - he told me to come on over. So I played
him some songs and he said he wanted the "Peepin' Thru The Keyhole" song for an
artist
in California."

"In the meantime Cliffie Stone had found my copy of that song in a record shop
and took it back to California and recorded it. He sold 400,000 copies and this
was in 1948."

Cliffie Stone's Capitol American single "Peepin' Thru The Keyhole - Watchin'
Jole Blon" came on the country music charts March 6th, 1948 and peaked at number
4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE STORAGE ROOM FINDS:
If you're a CHET ATKINS fan – this one's for you:

2001 edition of "FINGERSTYLE" magazine – featuring an eight page CHET ATKINS
feature – includes letters from Chet to several friends – including the one in
which he

talks about no longer being able to play guitar - bio information – 26 photos
– magazine in mint condition – PLUS: 12 page 11 x 11 inch "CHET
ATKINS-LEGENDARY

PERFORMER" –60 photos – many of Chet with other performers in the studio – bio
information – this oversize booklet was marketed by RCA Victor along with
Chet's

1977 album of the same title – both publications for $25.00 – postage paid -
PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to djdclassics@gmail.com -
PayPal – Check or Money

Order – reply to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: Do you know anything about a Randy Travis tribute concert. It was
mentioned on the radio.
A: "1 Night. 1 Place. 1 Time: A Heroes & Friends Tribute to Randy Travis" is
set for February 8th at Bridgestone Arena and will feature Alabama, Kenny
Rogers, Rodney
Atkins, Chris Janson, Jamey Johnson, Montgomery Gentry, Michael Ray, Ricky
Skaggs, Michael W. Smith, the Randy Travis Band, Tanya Tucker, Josh Turner and
more.

Q: There was something on the radio about Roy Acuff and The Kennedy Center. I
didn't hear all of it and was wondering what that was about.
A: The radio folks were probably talking about December 8th, 1991 as the date
of Ray Acuff receiving The Lifetime Achievement Award at the Kennedy Center
Honors
ceremony in Washington, D.C., becoming the first country artist to achieve that
honor.

Q: Do you know if Johnny Cash ever recorded the George Jones hit song
"Accidentally On Purpose?" My mom says it was on the radio a few times.
A: The Cash version of that song is in his 1970 "The World Of Johnny Cash"
album

Q: I have read that Cal Smith's "Country Bumpkin" was snubbed in Nashville but
won some awards. Do you have any info?
A: The writer - Don Wayne - was reportedly told by some music publishers that
nobody wanted songs about "frost on the pumpkin" but "Country Bumpkin" went on
to
become the CMA "Single Of The Year" and "Song Of The Year" in 1974.

Q: A friend of mine used to sing a song about "Go Back Fool" and he said it
was on the radio by Faron Young years ago. Do you have any information on that
song?
A: "Go Back You Fool" was a number 11 hit for Faron Young in 1955. It was the
flipside of "All Right" - which peaked at number 2.

Q: There was a song on the radio back in the 60's about "Love's Gonna Happen
To Me." Do you know who had that record?
A: The song was number seven hit for Wynn Stewart in 1967.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.


For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1944
Smoke on the Water - Red Foley

1952
Back Street Affair - Webb Pierce

1960
Wings of a Dove - Ferlin Husky

1968
Born to Be with You - Sonny James

1976
Thinkin' of a Rendezvous - Johnny Duncan

1984
Nobody Loves Me Like You Do - Anne Murray (with Dave Loggins)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

A. P. Carter born Maces Springs, VA 1891.

Nudie the Tailor, born Kiev, Ukraine 1902.

Kenneth Pitts, fiddler, born in Arizona 1913.

Red River Dave, singer/songwriter/ born Dave McEnery in San Antonio, TX 1914.


Mitchell Burt Lilly, of "The Lilly Brothers" born Clear Creek, WV 1921.

Ernie Ashworth, a.k.a. "Billy Worth," singer/songwriter, born Huntsville, AL
1928. Member Grand Ole Opry.

Jerry Wallace born Guilford, MO 1928.

Hank Williams, age 19, and Audrey Sheppard Guy, were married in a gas station in
Andalusia, AL in 1944.

Randy Parton born Sevierville, TN 1955.

The Everly Brothers recorded "Let It Be Me" 1959.

Skeeter Davis was fired from the Opry in 1973. Davis expressed her rage, and
editorialized to the Opry radio audience, her support for the protesters she
observed being arrested on her way to the Ryman Auditorium earlier that evening.
She was reinstated as an Opry member eighteen months later.

Joey Castle, a.k.a. Cliff Rivers, Rockabilly vocals, died of cancer 1978.

Alan Jackson married wife Denise in Newnan, GA 1979. After a brief separation
and reconciliation in 1998, they renewed their vows on their nineteenth
anniversary, on
December 15th.

Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton released a holiday duet album, "Once Upon a
Christmas," 1984.

Tiny Moore, age 67, died 1987.

Shell Point released Larry Cordle's album "Murder on Music Row" 1999.

David Ball's "Riding With Private Malone" debuted on Billboard's Top 40 Chart
2001.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE HUSH.
By: Jack Blanchard

I know a lot of folks will always picture me as the guy
with the long hair and weird clothes
who wrote that bird song. Misty Morgan's husband. That's it.
But, we set it up that way to attract attention to our music.
We did our best to stand out from the crowd.
I've been onstage in motorcycle cop boots,
big chrome sunglasses, and a leather cape.
So, if that's all they remember, I can't complain.

We were leaving our Milwaukee hotel,
on the way to do an all-star show
for an audience of almost 50,000 young people.
We were the only country act,
up against a bunch of pop and rock legends.

The elevator doors opened at the lobby, and we stepped off.
Misty wore red sequins from head to toe,
and a black top hat with red sequins.
I wore my Captain America suit.

There was a very dignified elderly couple in the group
waiting to get on the elevator.
I heard him say this: "Somebody wants to be noticed".
Well, DUH!

At the stadium there were almost as many cops as kids.
About a dozen famous acts like Chicago and The Mamas and Papas
were being ignored.
The teens jumped around, screamed at each other,
and threw toilet paper.
It was like singing into a bucket of live bait.

When Misty and I walked onstage there was a hush.
The first and only hush of the day.
We were as unexpected as an auto accident,
and the hyperactive teens just had to stop and stare at us.
They were confused. They'd never hushed before.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From A Warm Farm House-Stan Hitchcock

Every year, bout this time, when Winter becomes a reality, the cold chases the
Southern breeze way down around Cuba somewhere, the Skies are cloudy all day,
and the

deer and the antelope shiver when the cold winds blow....yeah, that time of
year, well, I always have to retell some of my "Stupid Things To Never Do"
stories, as a Public

Service to all you folks who may need reminding. So, here we go again:

December 13th, 1946, Route 1, Pleasant Hope, Missouri. My 10 year old dumber
than a rock self has another adventure.....
Grandma Johnson's rooster crowed again, waking me up after a night of sleeping
deep in the feather bed covered with blankets and a comforter that kept the
heavy chill
away during the cold night in the Ozarks. The old farm house where Grandma and
Grandpa lived was originally a two room log cabin, but through the years it had
been
covered with lap siding, extra rooms added and modernized in some small way, but
still pretty crude and rough. The only heat was from the big wood stove in the
living
room, with some help from the wood cook stove in the kitchen. Still, the bedroom
where I had burrowed into the feather bed was so cold that frost was on the
inside of
the windows. I had stayed the night with Grandma and Grandpa Johnson, as I did
frequently in my young years, just wanting to be around these people who I loved
and
listen to the stories Grandpa could tell.

Sleeping in your long johns in the winter cold was a matter of survival, adding
heavy wool socks for that extra edge, so I jumped out of bed and into my clothes
as quickly
as I could, heading for the kitchen and the smell of breakfast cooking on the
wood cook stove. Grandpa was sitting at the table in the kitchen, saucering his
coffee, that
is pouring a little hot coffee from his cup into his saucer, holding it up and
blowing on it a little and then sipping the black liquid, smacking his lips and
putting the
saucer back down on the table. This style of drinking coffee has passed with a
lot of other customs of that generation, but it seemed to be in common use in
our part of
the Ozarks.
When I came into the kitchen, Grandma asked me to go out to the well and pump a
bucket of water for her. I put on my coat and headed out the door. The pump was
in the
back of the house, and as I got up to it, I realized it was covered with frost
from the night before. It looked just like a popsicle, and boy, I did love
popsicles. Easing up to
the pump handle, I just kinda stuck my tongue on the cold metal. The operative
word here is "stuck", and I realized I was frozen solid to the pump handle.
Grandma finally
heard my hollering…."ooooommmmphwwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" …yeah, it is hard to holler
with your tongue froze…she probably just looked out to see what was taking me so

long….she came out with warm water and unstuck me. That was a hard lesson to
learn.
Then there was the time when I was about 7 years old, that I peed on an electric
fence….another hard lesson learned. It is something a young boy only does once.
But, evidently, I didn't learn that lesson good enough. Later, as an adult, I
was wading in a creek, fishing for smallmouth bass, when I came to a water gap
fence across
the water. I did not examine the fence near as close as I should have, or I
would have noticed that there were white insulators holding the lower wire to
the posts. What I
was noticing was that the fence was about three feet out of the water…shoot, no
problem, I can just stoop down and get under that easy. Uh huh, with my wet self

squatting down and duck walking under the wire….the electric fence did arc and
connect to my body, popped like a firecracker, and knocked me about three feet
face
first into the water, ears ringing and eyes teared up from the jolt, I sat there
like the idiot that I was and realized that I still had a lot to learn.

It's little lessons like that which make life interesting, I reckon, but really
they should furnish operating manuals to kids, and then make adults read them
again to refresh
themselves. You could call the manual "STUPID THINGS TO NOT EVER DO!"

I still sometimes get the urge to put my tongue on frost to see if it tastes
like a popsicle, but I fight that urge successfully every time. However, I have
never wanted to play
with an electric fence, ever, ever again.

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in
our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the
face of Christ.


– 2 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment