Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Thursday July 7th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday July 7th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of hit songs became hit songs because someone heard a recording of the
song by someone else. According to Eddy Arnold - his 1965 hit "Make The World Go
Away" was such a song!

Arnold commented, "After the success of "What's He Doing In My World," my record
producer Chet Atkins thought I should record an album with that "world" theme
and I suggested we title it "My World."

"I had heard Ray Price and Jim Reeves singing a song titled "Make The World Go
Away" and I hadn't paid much attention to it. But then I heard a girl named
Timi Yuro singing it and it got my attention. So I found a copy of her recording
and took it to Chet Atkins and he liked it and agreed that we should include it
in the new album. But after we recorded the song and were listening to the
playback - we all decided it should be a single. So it was released as a single
and was a big hit"

Eddy Arnold's RCA Victor single "Make The World Go Away" came on the country
music charts October 9th, 1965 - -made it to number one and stuck there for
three weeks. It was Arnold's 90th charted song and was on the charts for 25
weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE BOOKS FROM THE STORE ROOM:

223 page oversize hardback "HISTORY OF COUNTRY & WESTERN MUSIC"- from the
days of The Carter Family thru the 1980's – loaded with photos- color and black
& white – lots of full page portraits; PLUS; 96 page oversize hardback "BEST OF
COUNTRY MUSIC" – foreword by Don Williams – over 90 color photos – remembering
classic country – western swing – and bluegrass music – PLUS: 120 page oversize
hardback "COUNTRY MUSIC REVEALED" –described as "true stories of boozin' –
cheatin' – stealin' – dodgin' – and divorce – lots of photos - ALL THREE BOOKS
FOR $35 and I'll pay shipping. PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to
djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: According to my daughter - the folks on radio said that another member of
The Browns is seriously ill. Do you have any details?
A: According to a post on Jim Ed Brown's official Facebook page - Bonnie Brown
— who is battling lung cancer and is Jim Ed Brown's younger sister —
"experienced complications from a blood clot" and is in a critical care unit.
Bonnie Brown first revealed her cancer diagnosis in September; specifically, she
has Stage IV Adenocarcinoma in her right lung. Her announcement came just
slightly more than three months after Jim Ed Brown's death on June 11, at 81
years old, from lung cancer.

Q: I have heard that there is a controversy about a new book on Elvis Presley
that was written by his step-brother. What is that all about?
A: According to Elvis Presley's stepbrother, David E. Stanley, a story that
claims his upcoming new book includes allegations that "the King of Rock and
Roll" deliberately overdosed on pills, killing himself, is taking his words out
of context. Stanley has commented, "Yes, My Brother Elvis is a sad story of pain
and loss dealing with the final years of his life and the time I spent with him,
but it's not without compassion and love … As far as his passing, only he and
God knows what happened in those final moments that took him from us all,"
Stanley says, adding that he wrote the book to raise awareness of prescription
drug abuse. "My Brother Elvis" is set for release on Aug. 16th, the 39th
anniversary of Presley's death.

Q: The radio folks were talking about Trace Adkins receiving some kind of
award. Do you know anything about it?
A: Trace Adkins has been awarded the 2016 Dwight D. Eisenhower Award from the
National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA) for his "long-standing and
extraordinary support and advocacy for America's servicemen and -women." The
Dwight D. Eisenhower Award, created in 1979, is given to one individual each
year who "best reflects President Eisenhower's beliefs and support for a strong
national security and industrial base." It is the NDIA's most prestigious award,
and it recognizes "leadership and strategic impact at the highest levels of
National Security."

Q: Have you ever heard of a George Jones record titled "Jonesy?" My brother
says it was on the radio years ago.
A: "Jonesy" was in Jones' 1964 "The Best Of George Jones" album

Q: My grandpa used to sing that old song "Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette" all the
time. Do you know who wrote that song?
A: It was written by Merle Travis and Tex Williams

Q: My mom says that Randy Travis recorded the Ronnie Milsap song "Stranger In
My House." Is that true?
A: Don't think Travis recorded that song but he did have a hit in 1999 titled
"Stranger In My Mirror."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1948
Bouquet of Roses - Eddy Arnold

1956
Crazy Arms - Ray Price

1964
Together Again - Buck Owens

1972
Eleven Roses - Hank Williams, Jr.

1980
He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones

1988
If It Don't Come Easy - Tanya Tucker

^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

John Sullivan, "Lonzo" of Lonzo & Oscar, born Edmonton, KY 1917

Mary Ford, of "Les Paul & Mary Ford" born Iris Colleen Summers in Pasadena, CA
1924.

Charlie Louvin born near Section, AL 1927. Member Grand Ole Opry Inducted NSHF
1979, CMHF 2001.

Doyle Wilburn born in Hardy, AR 1930.

Johnny Cash joined the Air Force 1950.

Eddy Arnold debuted his NBC-TV show 1953.

Sun Records owner Sam Phillips gave Memphis disc jockey Dewey Phillips, a copy
of Elvis Presley's debut Sun recording in 1954. Phillips played the record
"That's All Right Mama/Blue Moon of Kentucky," over a dozen times that day on
his show.

Johnny Cash debuted on the Grand Ole Opry 1956. He met June Carter backstage for
the first time.

Jean Shepard released "He's My Baby," 1958.

Marty Robbins released "Sittin' In A Tree House/She Was Only Seventeen" 1958.

George Morgan, age 50, died in Nashville after bypass surgery, 1975. George
joined the Grand Ole Opry on September 25, 1948, and was inducted into the CMHF
in 1998.

Toby Keith's single "Whiskey Girl" topped the charts 2004.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR WHAT AILS YOU.
By: Jack Blanchard

I don't like hospitals...
I've hated wearing gowns ever since the prom.

MY ATHLETIC CAREER...
I played hunchback for Notre Dame.

In Miami there was a guy that played accordion while tap dancing.
He could do two things I don't like at the same time.

I admire paralegals.
No feeling from the waist down and yet they practice law.

I had a chance to go straight, but I went into music instead.

The Florida rainy season is in full swing.
Severe thunderstorms every afternoon and evening.
Our idea of a nice day is when the lightning strikes somebody else.

Never wear a tutu in a biker bar.
I learned that the hard way.

Left to my own devices,
I would just screw around and have fun all my life.
I like those devices.

A group of rabbits walking backwards is a receding hare line.

THE LITLE ENGINE SAID...
"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. Aw screw it!"

911 operator: "Calm down, sir.
Let's make sure your friend is dead."
A shot is heard. Caller: "OK. What next?"

Since I stopped playing piano in clubs,
piano bars have disappeared.
I didn't know I was that important.

I've seen clothes on Antiques Road Show that I'm still wearing.

I said, "I think the world is getting overpopulated."
Misty said, "I wonder what's causing it?"

ETIQUETTE...
A gentleman never hits a lady with his hat on.

I've been gaining and losing the same 7 pounds for 10 years.
Where does it go?

The nurse was so mean that she made a patient cry,
and that patient was in a coma.

Misty and I were on the road in our motorhome.
It was about 2 AM and we pulled in and parked in a Walmart lot,
and turned out the lights.
A watchman pounded on our door
and yelled, "YOU CAN'T SLEEP HERE!".
We both shouted, "WE'RE NOT SLEEPING!"

I said this to Misty: "Fancy meeting you here."
She said: "Fancy-schmancy."
It was a slow night.

Marriage requires commitment.
So does insanity.

THE DOCTORS' OATH...
"I will not unplug someone in a coma just to charge my phone.

I said, "What are we having tonight?"
Misty said, "Macaroni."
I said, "Mickey Rooney?"
She said, "With cheese."

Why would anybody put mosquitoes and alligators on the Ark?

I'm unusually healthy for my age.
I only eat foods that contain preservatives.

My uncle wasn't crazy
except for occasionally thinking he was a penguin.

I said, "I think that thunderstorm is gonna miss us."
Misty said, "That's what it wants you to think."

BIKER STORY...
He rode into town on a big hog.
He couldn't afford a motorcycle.

Misty teased her hair and it bit her.

Scientists have found a gene for shyness.
It was hiding behind another gene.

He said, "You're looking effervescent tonight."
She said, "Did you effer see me ven I effervasn't?"

I'm waiting for walking on all fours to come back.

He could do two things I don't like at the same time.

Give me immortality or give me death.
Jack Blanchard
Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan...
Home Page: http://www.jackandmisty.net

YouTube: www.youtube.com/jackandmisty -

http://www.youtube.com/jackandmisty


FaceBook: www.facebook.com/jackblanchard.mistymorgan -

<http://www.facebook.com/jackblanchard.mistymorgan>


Mastering & restoration studio: 352-530-2068.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The River Bank-Stan Hitchcock

Well, we came through the storm with no damage that I can find. Pretty spooky
there for awhile, as the fierce wind and heavy rain came across the River and
pummeled us. I'll tell you these Wisconsin folks do know how to put on a
thunderstorm that comes across Iowa and Minnesota, sweeps across the Upper
Mississippi River and blasts Western Wisconsin like a Sandblaster gone wild.
Peaceful, now this morning, with only limbs blown off the trees to testify that
we even had a storm.
Reminds me of growing up in the Ozarks, the storms coming out of Oklahoma and
Kansas, Mom sheparding us kids into the basement
like a mama hen with her chicks...making us stand in the Southwestern corner so
when the wind blew the house away it wouldn't squash us like Betsy Bugs (no, I
still don't know what a Betsy Bug is, but Mama knew). Thankfully, the house
never blew away and we managed to not get squashed...but, Mama lived her whole
life watching the Western skies for that special storm. Thank God for good Mamas
who try to shelter their children from the storms of life...although, sadly,
most of us have to learn about how hot that stove is with our own fingers
touching it...or how cold that pump handle is with the frost that looks like a
popsicle and you just want to put your tongue on it and taste it to find out
that now you are stuck to the icy handle. We try our best with our children,
but, ultimately they have to learn life lessons the hard way...just as we all
did. God Bless The Children, keep them safe, even in a World that has no mercy,
no justice and where common sense seems to be a lost art. Bring a child up in
the way of the Lord, and when they are old they shall not depart from it. stan
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to
proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to
proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to
comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on
them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and
a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of
righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.
– Isaiah 61:1-3 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment