Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thursday July 21st, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday July 21st, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

According to Chet Atkins - Eddy Arnold was one of the most serious artists he
worked with while producing records at RCA Victor.

Chet commented "Eddy was serious about everything. He would always look you
right in the eye and tell you what he thought. I always admired him for that.
He was in my office one afternoon going over a song he planned to record -
"Tennessee Stud." And Jerry Reed bounced in. Jerry would just show up - open the
door and come right in. He was just that type of guy. Then he would start with
"Chief - you oughta do his and you oughta do that." We finished the meeting and
set up the session for Eddy to record "Tennessee Stud." Eddy didn't say anything
at that time but I saw him a couple of days later and he looked me right in the
eye and said, "Now when I make an appointment with you - I want it to be with
you - I don't want it to be with Jerry Reed."

"It kind of caught me off guard and I tried to explain to Eddy "Jerry Reed is a
genius. I get a lot of good albums out of him. I get hit songs and guitar licks
from him. But you're right and I apologize."

Eddy Arnold recorded "Tennessee Stud" a few days later and it came on the charts
June 22nd, 1959 and peaked at # 5. It was his 74th charted song.

^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE BOOKS FROM THE STORE ROOM:
180 page hardback "THE ORIGINAL COUNTRY MUSIC WHO'S WHO - 1960" – A Thurston
Moore publication and a country music radio collectors' item – photos and info
about almost everybody connected to country music radio in 1960 – artists and
disc jockeys - full of photos and country music history. $30 and I'll pay
shipping. PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to
djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I know the song "From A Jack To A King" has been recorded by several
artists. My dad says he heard Bill Anderson sing it on the radio years ago.
Did he record that song?
A: "From A Jack To A King" is in Bill Anderson's 1964 "Still" album

Q: Do you know anything about a Norma Jean album of Kitty Well songs? My
cousin says she had a copy years ago but I can't find any information on it.
A: Norma Jean's RCA Victor album "Norma Jean Sings A Tribute To Kitty Wells"
was released in 1966

Q: Do you know what artists had a hit record with the Hank Williams song "You
Win Again?"
A: Hank Williams (1952), Jerry Lee Lewis (1958), Charley Pride (1980), and
Jeris Ross (1980)

Q: Years ago there was a hit record about "I've been sitting in this all night
cafe." Do you know who had that record and who wrote the song?
A: "Sittin' In An All Nite Cafe" was written by Jim Glaser and was a number 4
hit for Warner Mack in 1964.

Q: I heard on the radio that Ronnie Milsap was ill. Do you have any
information?
A: Milsap was taken to a hospital shortly before a scheduled concert in
Tifton, Georgia on July 15th after suffering unspecified health problems
backstage. He reportedly was treated for dehydration and has been discharged.

Q: The radio guys mentioned another of The Browns passed away. Do you know any
details?
A: Bonnie Brown died after a battle with lung cancer at age 77. She first
revealed her cancer diagnosis in September: Stage IV Adenocarcinoma in her right
lung. Her announcement came three months after her brother Jim Ed Brown's death
on June 11, 2015, at 81 years old, from lung cancer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1946
New Spanish Two Step - Bob Wills

1954
Even Tho - Webb Pierce

1962
Wolverton Mountain - Claude King

1970
He Loves Me All the Way - Tammy Wynette
1978

Only One Love in My Life - Ronnie Milsap

1986
Until I Met You - Judy Rodman

^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

Ken Maynard, Singing cowboy, born Vevay, IN 1895. The studio press said Ken was
born in
Mission, Texas, however that was not true.

Sara Carter born Flat Woods, VA 1898. Sara and the other Original members of the
Carter Family were inducted into The Country Music Hall Of Fame in 1970.

Eddie Hill born Delano, TN 1921.

Margaret Whiting born 1924.

Junior Husky, "first team" session bassist, born Knoxville, TN 1928.

Lefty Frizzell joined the Grand Ole Opry 1951.

Wanda Jackson released "I Gotta Know," 1956.

Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line," became his first #1 record 1956.

Sidney Lawrence Cox, "Cox Family," born Homer, LA 1965.

Capitol Records released Buck Owens' single "Tall Dark Stranger" 1969.

Paul Brandt born "Paul Renee Belobersycky, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada 1972.

Jeanne Pruett joined the Grand Ole Opry 1973. Pruett was the last person to
become a member of the Opry, on the stage of the Ryman Auditorium, prior to the
move to the new Opry House.

Michael Martin Murphey's single "Wildfire," was certified gold 1975.

Charlie Daniels' #1 country hit "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" charted on
Billboard's Top 40 in 1979.

ASV released Gene Autry's album "Last Round-Up: 25 Cowboy Classics" 1998.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE OLD MAN.
By: Jack Blanchard

I woke up old this morning.
I don't mean that metaphorically, or figuratively,
or any of that.
It's just a fact: I went to bed young and woke up old.
This is Thursday, the 12th.

Yesterday, on Wednesday the 11th,
I was a strong young man with big dreams and ambitions.
It all went by in a day!

The day before yesterday was Tuesday the 10th,
and I was a child.
I looked at the powdery stuff on flowers, the veins in a leaf,
paint blisters and bent nails in a fence.
I could follow a particular ant all around the yard.

By Wednesday I was grown up.
The sounds and smells, and the touch of things
seemed less important.
Wet sidewalks,
the outdoor faucet where the hose connects,
crumbly earth, tools in the garage,
still had their distinctive aromas,
but I didn't notice.

I was too busy to listen to distant traffic.
I had even stopped lying on my back
and looking for faces in the clouds.
Wednesday was all adult "reality":
Money, status, success, entertainment...
The important stuff.

I had to learn fast, having only three days,
and no warnings,
or time to prepare for the big changes.

I dreamed that I got up out of this wheelchair
and ran right out across that field!
But here it is Thursday,
I'm old, and can barely get around.

I don't like being called a Senior Citizen.
It's a euphemism.
It's condescending, like calling a black person "colored".
Don't cushion it, my friend. I'm old.

I leave my turn signal on because I can't hear it,
not because I'm senile.
And at this age, I eat my dessert first.
You never know.

I'll tell you what...
Today I'm going to sit here on my ancient tailbone
and listen to squirrel talk.
If you listen a while to their sounds
you'll see they have a language of nuances.

I'm going to enjoy the warmth of this old wool sweater,
and pay attention to that leaf blowing across the lot.
I don't know when,
or if, I'll get to do it again.

Time is on Fast Forward,
so I offer this advice to all who pass this way:
PAY ATTENTION! LIFE IS IN THE DETAILS.
And, tomorrow is Friday, the 13th.

Jack Blanchard
Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan...
Home Page: http://www.jackandmisty.net

YouTube: www.youtube.com/jackandmisty -

http://www.youtube.com/jackandmisty


FaceBook: www.facebook.com/jackblanchard.mistymorgan -

<http://www.facebook.com/jackblanchard.mistymorgan>


Mastering & restoration studio: 352-530-2068.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock
Ever now and then I place an old recording of myself on my Timeline. Not out of
ego, not to say "hey look at me", no, I just need to go back in time and
remember where I have been and the people I have been there with. The musicians,
the songwriters, the producers of that era of music that meant so much to my
life. I realize that now I am not that person, that music doesn't bubble out of
my insides now, going to do a gig in some far distant town is not what drives me
anymore.....but,in another lifetime, years ago, I stood on the great stages of
America, I recorded with the greats in studios that will never be again, I had
musicians that will never be equalled play behind me while I sang, great
songwriters would come to me and play me their songs on guitar or piano and some
were so good that I would choke up and find it hard to speak at the end of their
song and I would take it and try to make it mine to sing as I continued to live
most of the lines of the songs they were writing. I spent nights after a gig in
some lonesome hotel room, many times with heroes of mine in the world of music
as we helped each other through another come down after a gut emptying song
marathon in some town we had come to but would never know..but remembering the
stale smell of cigarettes that the ventilation system always seemed to pull to
the stage or the smile on a pretty face in the crowd that made you sing just a
little bit stronger. The best times were the times in the studio, as you watched
the very best musicians in the world, focusing just on something you were trying
to put together, finding just the right lick, the right mood, the sound that
would then live on forever in some audio form, maybe remembered by no one but
yourself, but somehow, that is enough, to just remember the time....the
sounds...the years...and the people, that just that one time, were playing just
for you. Yes, life is more than having your picture in a Country Song Roundup
those years ago. So, understand when I play one of those special memories it's
just that music is better when it is shared with friends....and I call you
friends. stan
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with
you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. "Be strong and
courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the
land I swore to their ancestors I would give them.
– Joshua 1:5-6 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment