Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Thursday April 27th, 2017 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday April 27th, 2017

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of hit songs were actually written for a certain artist but wound up being
recorded by someone else!

The Conway Twitty / Loretta Lynn hit "As Soon As I Hang Up The Phone" was one of
those songs!

Loretta commented, "Conway gave me that song and asked me to take it to our
producer Owen Bradley for my sister - Crystal Gaye to record. When Owen played
the song

he told us it was too country for Crystal. So I told Conway that he and I would
record the song. He didn't like the idea at first cause he thought the song
wouldn't work for

us until I showed him that he should do the talkin' part and he didn't like that
at all! When we recorded it - he was in one room and I was in another. "

The Conway Twitty / Loretta Lynn duet "As Soon As I Hang Up The Phone" came on
the country charts June 15th, 1974 and made it to number one and was on the
charts

for 15 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

STORAGE ROOM FIND:

350 page oversize 10&1/2 X 13 inch hardback "COUNTRY MUSIC – PEOPLE – PLACES &
MOMENTS THAT SHAPED THE COUNTRY MUSIC SOUND" – 2006 – Story of

self-made stars – from singing cowboys to tough hillbilly women to the latest
redneck sensations – hundreds of photos – color and black & white - $30.00 and
I'll pay

shipping.
PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: My mom is a big Elvis Presley fan and she has mentioned several times that
he bombed the first time he was in Las Vegas. This is hard to believe but is it
true?
A: Elvis appeared in Las Vegas in April 1956 but was canceled after one week.

Q: Is Willie Nelson doing his July 4th Picnic this year?
A: Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic will be held, for the third year in a row,
at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas

Q: My daughter tells me that she heard that Rosanne Cash has been inducted
into the hall of fame. Is that true?
A: Rosanne Cash has been announced as one of the 2017 inductees into the
Austin City Limits Hall of Fame and will be inducted in October.

Q: The radio guys were talking about a Dolly Parton Christmas movie winning an
award. Do you have any info?
A: Dolly Parton's 2016 made-for-TV movie "Christmas of Many Colors: Circle of
Love" has recently earned two awards: a Christopher award and the Movieguide

Epiphany Prize for Television. "Christmas of Many Colors: Circle of Love"
received a trophy in the TV and Cable category at the 68th annual Christopher
Awards, which

honor media that positively influences its audience and "affirms the highest
values of the human spirit." From Movieguide, "Christmas of Many Colors" has
received the

Epiphany Prize for Television which goes to "popular, entertaining movies and
television programs that are wholesome, spiritually uplifting, inspirational,
redemptive

and moral."

Q: I saw on TV that Reba McEntire has some type of Music Busines award. What
is that?
A: Reba McEntire and Maren Morris will both be receiving honors at this
year's Music Biz Awards in Nashville on May 18. McEntire will be receiving the
Music Business

Association's 2017 Chairman's Award for Sustained Creative Achievement, in
recognition of her long and successful music career.

Q: Have you heard about an "outlaw festival?" My son says it was on the radio
A: The second annual Outlaw Music Festival features Willie Nelson for six
shows over two weeks July 1st thru 16th kicking off in New Orleans, La., on July
1, before

heading to Dallas, Texas, on July 2; Rogers, Ark., on July 6; Detroit, Mich., on
July 8; Milwaukee, Wisc., on July 6; and Syracuse, N.Y., on July 16.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.


For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1949
Candy Kisses - George Morgan

1957
Gone - Ferlin Husky

1965
This is It - Jim Reeves

1973
Superman - Donna Fargo

1981
A Headache Tomorrow (Or a Heartache Tonight) - Mickey Gilley
1989

The Church on Cumberland Road - Shenandoah

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison.

1890 - Lennie Aleshire 1890~1987, WAS born Leonard Harrison Aleshire in
Missouri. Lennie and friend Floyd Rutledge entertained as "Flash and Whistler"
when they

joined the vaudeville act of "The Weaver Brothers and Elviry" in the 1920' s.
They performed as "Lennie and Goo Goo" while cast members of Red Foley' s "Ozark

Jubilee" from 1955~1961. Considered by many as pioneers of country music, the
duo had influenced many country music performers who would come to stardom in
later

years.

1909 - Jimmie Skinner WAS born in Blue Lick, Kentucky.

1929 Tommy Hill 1929~2002, brother of Goldie Hill, artist, songwriter, A&R man
and record label owner, wrote "Slowly" and "Teddy Bear," was born near Coy City,
Texas.

1929 - Francis Craig and His Orchestra made their final appearance on the Grand
Ole Opry.

1931 - Maxine Brown of "The Browns" and member of the Grand Ole Opry was born in
Campti, Louisiana.

1944 - Herb Pedersen, singer, songwriter, and session-musician, member of the
Desert Rose Band was born in Berkley, California. a.k.a. Looney Tunes,
California.

1950 - Bob Wills recorded "Faded Love."

1971 - The Opryland USA theme park opened the gates for the first time in
Nashville, Tennessee.

1972 - Tom T. Hall recorded "Willy The Wandering Gypsy And Me."

1974 - Waylon Jennings' single "This Time" hit the country charts.

1974 - Charlie Rich' s albums "Very Special Love Songs" and "There Won' t Be
Anymore," were #1 and #2 on the country album charts.

2006 - The 19th annual Merlefest was held at the Wilkes Community College
campus in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, beginning today through the 30th.

2007 - Irving Waugh 1912~2007, WSM executive, and a World War II correspondent
reporting from the Pacific Theater of operations, died at the age of 94. Waugh
was

executive producer of the CMA Awards Show for twenty-five years.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

HOT LONG FOOT DOGS.
By: Jack Blanchard

Almost every morning when we wake up,
I say something like this to Misty: Do you come here often?"
Today she said... "Not if I don't have to."

She had some Strauss waltzes playing on a CD.
I didn't comment.
After about ten minutes of Strauss' three-quarter time,
she got up and changed the CD, saying...
"I want some music where I don't have to count!"

Anyway...
A lot of people make me laugh:
Stephen Wright, Bob Newhart, Mark Twain,
Homer Simpson... The list is endless.
But the one who makes me laugh most often lives right here.

At first I thought it was a tendency toward spoonerisms,
years ago, when Misty read a roadside sign to me
as "Hot long foot dogs",
and "Look at the Clydes up in the skow!"
(Clouds up in the sky.)

After a while I began to notice the little smile she had
when saying one of these things.
She knows she's funny,
but she doesn't care if people think she's mixed up.
Mixed up like a fox!

Over the years I wrote most of them down for posterity
on the inside covers of legal pads.
I now have hundreds of these
which I plan to go through someday to put her sayings into a book.
In the meantime, here are a few I can remember:

"He's watching me like I'm a hawk."

"Bleeding like a stuffed pig".

"Life is a three-way street."

"Let the guy without sin pass the first stone."

I said "Who's that singing?"
She said "The Elderly Brothers."

She once said to me:
"You could charm the women right out of the trees."

"Running around like a chicken with its hat off."

A woman on TV was using a lot of big words.
Misty said. "Go play with your brain!"

We were mixing down a recording session and she picked out a little flaw.
The engineer told her she could really hear well,
and she said, "Like a mink".

Misty was telling me a story from her childhood, and after a while I jumped in.
She said "I'm still talking."
I said "I've been trying to get a word in for three days."
She said "I was just trying to finish my paragraph."
We laughed, and then she finished her paragraph.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock

The Winter of '72, I was booked into a performance venue in Valentine, Nebraska.
On the same show was a friend from my home state of Missouri, John Hartford. The

folks that booked the venue had put John and I up in a two bedroom house and we
had just got unloaded and settled in when the Blizzard hit. I've seen a lot of
snowy

weather in my travels, but a blizzard across the rolling plains of Nebraska was
a whole new experience. John and I were stuck in the little house for two days
until the

storm blew itself out. Those two days were a special time for me…marooned with
one of the greatest songwriters and performers in any kind of music. So, for two
days

and nights, John and I entertained each other with our music. Him, with his
banjo and fiddle, me with my old J45 Gibson…John with his genius with lyrics…me
with my

love for the song crafter…It was a wonderful time to make a memory. With the
wind howling outside the windows like a wild animal…John picked up his banjo and

began:
"It's knowing that your door is always open
And your path is free to walk
That makes me tend to leave my sleeping bag
Rolled up and stashed behind your couch
And it's knowing I'm not shackled
By forgotten words and bonds
And the ink stains that have dried upon some line
That keeps you in the backroads
By the rivers of my mem'ry
That keeps you ever gentle on my mind…"
A fragment of words, strung together as only John Hartford could string them
together…in his soft, understated delivery of his masterpiece…the raging
blizzard no

longer mattered…I was exactly where I wanted to be…doing what I loved to
do…listening to a songwriter pour out the creativity inside. A memory was made
during that

snow storm, and those memories keep running across the screen inside of me, like
they was on one of those old Movieola things you used to put a penny in and
watch

the cards flip by so fast it looked like a Movin' Picture Show. Ya'know music
and the people associated with it in a lifetime kinda way tend to stick in our
minds and come

out to play in the late night or early morning hours.

My heroes always stay "Gentle On My Mind"…..

stan
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end. Give
me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.



– Psalm 119:33-34 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment