Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Thursday November 3rd, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday November 3rd, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

According to Sheb Wooley, he thought that Faron Young's hit song "Hello Walls"
would be a good idea for a parody song.

Sheb commented "I did my parody version of "Hello Walls" as a drunk. And it
seemed to work. From there - all my Ben Colder records were done as a drunk. I
took on the drunk personality. I guess that gave me an excuse to drink - because
back in those days - I did drink some - some days - more than others."

Sheb Wooley's MGM record of "Hello Walls No. 2" came on the country music charts
March 2nd, 1963 and peaked at number 30.

It was his 3rd charted country song.

Sheb was born Shelby Wooley in 1921 in Erick, Oklahoma. He placed 13 songs on
the country music charts between 1962 and 1971.

He was named Comedian Of The Year (as Ben Colder) by The Country Music
Association in 1968.

Sheb Wooley died in 2003 at age 82.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

F I N A L L Y H E R E !
The E-book version of "1001 MOST ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC"
– the book I published several years ago and finally have an E-book version
available!

186 pages full of questions and answers – taken from "Country Music
Classics" newsletters – from 1998 thru 2002

This new E-book is on a single CD – just put in your computer and read the
entire book! "1001 MOST ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC" – on a
single CD – shipped postpaid form $25.00 - PayPal – Check or Money Order –
reply to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: According to my dad - Vince Gill is nominated for a hall of fame - but not
the country music hall of fame. Do you know anything about that??
A: Vince Gill has been nominated for induction into the Songwriter's Hall of
Fame in 2017.

Q: I heard on the radio that Randy Travis is back on an awards show.. I
thought he was unable to sing.
A: Randy Travis performed during the 2016 CMA Awards which aired live from
Nashville's Bridgestone Arena on November 2nd.

Q: The radio folks said that Alan Jackson is doing some project with Walmart.
Do you have any information?
A: Alan Jackson's "Precious Memories" gospel albums are available as part of a
new, expanded box set exclusively at Walmart. The collection pairs Jackson's
"Precious Memories" and "Precious Memories Volume II" together in one set plus
two new tunes: "It's All About Him" and "That's the Way."

Q: Is the Grand Ole Opry moving to New York City? My daughter says she heard
it on the radio.
A: According to Ryman Hospitality - Opry City Stage, a new multi-level
entertainment venue and restaurant will bring the Grand Ole Opry to Times Square
in 2017 and will feature a four-story country entertainment venue - at the
heart of Times Square, on Broadway. The venue will feature live performances and
will simulcast shows from the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.

Q: My dad says that Hank Locklin's "Please Help me I'm Falling" was on the
record charts for 25 weeks. Is that true?
A: The Locklin single was on the charts for 36 weeks and was number one for 14
weeks.

Q: Have you ever heard of a Charley Pride record titled "Mama Don't Cry For
Me?" My dad says it was on the radio years ago
A: That song was in Charley Pride's 1967 "The Country Way" album

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1950
I'm Moving On - Hank Snow

1958
City Lights - Ray Price

1966
Open Up Your Heart - Buck Owens

1974
I Overlooked an Orchid - Mickey Gilley

1982
Close Enough to Perfect - Alabama

1990
You Lie - Reba McEntire

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

Fabor Robison, record company executive/talent manager born Beebe, AR 1911.

Leon Huff, "Light Crust Doughboys," born Whitesboro, TX 1912.

John Maddox, of "Maddox Brothers & Rose," born Boaz, AL 1915.

Ray Edenton, studio musician, born Mineral, VA 1926.

Marty Robbins recorded "Singing the Blues" in 1955. It became his fifth chart
record, and first #1.

Johnny Bush released "Your Kind Of Love," 1958.

Merle Haggard was paroled from San Quentin Prison, after serving two years and
nine months of a five year sentence, 1960. The remaining two years and three
months of the sentence were served on parole.

Jimmie Rodgers, Fred Rose, and Hank Williams, are the first inductees into the
CMHF 1961.

Duane Eddy's single "Dance With The Guitar Man" charted 1962.

Dolly Parton's "Jolene," debuted on the chart 1973.

Reba McEntire's "You Lie" topped the charts 1990.

John Denver's final album "The Unplugged Collection" was released in the UK
1997.

Dream Works released Linda Davis' album "I'm Yours" 1998.

Mercury released Billy Ray Cyrus' album "Shot Full of Love" 1998.

Bob Dylan, Shel Silverstein, and Dean Dillon, inducted NSHF 2002.

Sammy Kershaw and Lorrie Morgan petition the court for Orders of Protection
against each other in 2003. The couple was married in 2001.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

HECKLERS.
By: Jack Blanchard

This column reaches a fairly large number of readers,
between the Internet, email, newspapers, and even radio.
Some DJ's read them over the air.

I get feedback in the form of comments, public and private.
Most of them are very nice,
and I try to respond to them as time and my workload will allow.
Occasionally there's an angry one
when I seem to have stepped on a reader's opinion
that he got from his mama,
and he doesn't want it tampered with.

I got one today,
and out of curiosity I've scanned my most recent articles,
trying to find what could have gotten up this guy's skirt.
I couldn't find anything on politics or religion,
which are the usual suspects.
My last few columns have been pretty harmless,
so what prompts a grown person
to sit down, type out, and send a snippy email?

This is sort of like being on stage,
when you're trying to show everybody a good time,
but there's a guy in the back row who would rather heckle you.
But, on stage it's easier,
because entertainers have lines for hecklers, like these:
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
"Why don't you get a toupee with a brain in it?"
"Is that your voice or is our boat leaving?"
"Why don't you climb up on your nose
and give us the weather report?"

That's all good clean fun,
but but a columnist doesn't have a microphone.
We just have to cry it out and keep on being angelic.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock

My dad, Walker Stanley Hitchcock, started it all with the Hot Pepper Sauce.
Every day, first thing, he would take a couple of tablespoons of Hot Pepper
Sauce...smack his lips and go, "Ahhhhhhhhhhh...that's good" I reckon you can't
grow up in a house with that going on without it rubbing off on you. By the age
of 10 or 12, I started doing the same thing. My dad's favorite restaurant, in
Springfield, Missouri, was the Steak and Shake on St. Louis Street. He liked it
because on every table there was a bottle of Hot Pepper Sauce. He would ask the
waitress for a spoon and first thing, would take two spoons of Hot Pepper Sauce.
I do the same thing, today, carrying on the tradition of my dad, and every time
I go to the jar or bottle, I think of him.
Dad lived a strong, healthy life until he reached 92 years of age. My brother
Sam called me one day and said that dad had gotten sick and was in Saint Johns
Hospital. I drove up to Springfield and me and Brother Sam stayed by his bedside
for the next week. On the last day of his life, dad opened his eyes and asked me
to go get him a big jar of Olives. Dad liked anything briney, I reckon. I
brought the jar of Olives back, unscrewed the top and held his head up as he
sipped the Olive juice.

Sure enough, when he got a good swallow, he smiled at me, smacked his lips and
said, "Ahhhhhhh....that's good"....one last time. He lay back on the pillow and
one hour later, breathed his last.
You know, some folks drink whiskey...some drink soda pop....some drink beer or
wine...But, the Hitchcock Boys drink Hot Pepper Sauce....it's better for you and
it don't make you do stupid things like the rest of that stuff...I've never
known of a single case of someone getting in trouble under the influence of Hot
Pepper Sauce.
For the last few years, I have been raising my own Hot Peppers and then making
my own Hot Pepper Sauce. I try to have some every day, just to keep the Family
Tradition alive.
You can try a little on your beans, your spinach, your chili, your soup...or
just turn it up and drink it down like a Man!
Choke...cough...sputter...spit....okay, okay...maybe not turn it up and drink it
down...maybe a couple of spoonsful at a time will do it. Whew...man that stuff
will take the skin off your tongue. I'll tell you, it the heat don't kill you,
drinking my Pepper concoction can cure about anything that ails you...like
worms, scurvy, baldness, ticks, corns and other maladies that commonly occur in
man and beast. Yes sir, I stand by my Hot Pepper Sauce, and believe that a sip a
day keeps the Buzzards away. Hmmm...I may have to come up with another slogan
one of these days...that one paints a pretty bad picture. stan

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and
petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
– Philippians 4:6 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment