Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Thursday October 20th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday October 20th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Several recording artists have seen their careers take on a new direction by
changing or adding to their arrangements or the production of their recordings.

According to Eddy Arnold - his 1965 hit "What's He Doing In My World" was a good
example of that!

He commented, "I had been thinking - that up until then my records had been just
me and my guitar and a steel guitar. And every record sounded the same. There
wasn't

anything new or fresh about them. So I thought - "why not put some violins on
the record and see how that works. I had Anita Kerr to write some violin parts
for the song

- I think we used four violins on that record and it worked."

Eddy Arnold's RCA Victor single "What's He Doing In My World" came on the
country charts March 27th, 1965 and became his 88th charted song and his 22nd
number
one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

F I N A L L Y H E R E !
The E-book version of "1001 MOST ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC"
– the book I published several years ago and finally have an E-book version
available!

186 pages full of questions and answers – taken from "Country Music
Classics" newsletters – from 1998 thru 2002

This new E-book is on a single CD – just put in your computer and read the
entire book! "1001 MOST ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC" – on a

single CD – shipped postpaid for $25.00 - PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply
to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: My dad says he heard that Kris Kristofferson was named to the hall of fame.
When did that happen?
A: Kris Kristofferson was inducted into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame on
October 12th at the Moody Theater in Austin, Texas.

Q: An uncle of mine is a huge Johnny Cash fan and he tells me that Cash set
some kind of record for awards back in the 60's. Is that true?
A: On October 15th, 1969 - Johnny Cash won five CMA Awards and became the
first artist to take home that many trophies in one night. The awards included
Male
Vocalist of the Year; Album of the Year, for San Quentin; Single of the Year,
for "A Boy Named Sue;" Vocal Group of the Year, with his wife, June Carter Cash;
and the
night's highest honor, Entertainer of the Year.

Q: The guys on radio said that Tanya Tucker was seriously ill. Do you have any
information?
A: Tanya Tucker has been forced to postpone several upcoming tour dates after
being hospitalized due to an upper respiratory infection during her North
American tour.

She became ill on October 7th just before a show in Watertown, S.D., and
canceled the evening's concert. She was later diagnosed with pneumonia before
being airlifted
back to Nashville for continued treatment.

Q: I love all the recordings by Joey and Rory. My brother-in-law said one of
their records won an award. Do you know anything about that?
A: Joey & Rory won an award at the recent 2016 GMA Dove Awards. The duo earned
the Long Form Video of the Year for their final album, "Hymns That Are Important
to
Us."

Q: Did the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame award something to Johnny Cash? It was on
tv a few days ago.
A: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has selected Johnny Cash as its 2016 Music
Masters honoree, and is planning a week of events, and a tribute concert, to
honor the
Man in Black on October 21st at Cleveland, Ohio's Playhouse Square's State
Theatre.

Q: My sister talks about a song titled "Rocky" that was a hit for a singer
named Dickey Lee. I thought The Osborne Brothers had the hit on that song.
A: You're thinking of "Rocky Top," which scored a # 33 for The Osborne
Brothers in 1968 - also a # 17 for Lynn Anderson in 1970. Dickey Lee had a
number one with
"Rocky" - an entirely different song - in 1975

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.


For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com


^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1944
Smoke on the Water - Red Foley

1952
Jambalaya (On the Bayou) - Hank Williams

1960
Alabam - Cowboy Copas

1968
Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye - Eddy Arnold

1976
You and Me - Tammy Wynette

1984
I Don't Know a Thing About Love (The Moon Song) - Conway Twitty

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

Stuart Hamblen, singer/songwriter/actor, born Kellyville, TX 1908.

Grandpa Jones, born "Louis Marshall Jones" Niagra, Kentucky 1913. Inducted CMHF
1978. Member of the Hee-Haw cast.

Jerry Irby, singer/songwriter, born New Braunfels, TX 1917.

Carolina Cotton, yodeling cowgirl, born Cash, AR 1926.

Wanda Jackson, the First Lady of Rockabilly, born Maud, OK 1937.

Ray Price's "City Lights" went to #1 on the charts 1950.

Leroy Van Dyke joined the Grand Ole Opry 1962.

Capitol Records released Buck Owens single "Big In Vegas" 1969.

Merle Travis, age 65, died in an Oklahoma hospital 1983. NSHF 1970. CMHF 1977.

Clint Black and actress Lisa Hartman married in Houston, TX 1991.

Curtis Massey, age 81, of "Louise Massey & the Westerners" died 1991.

Toby Keith's album, "Greatest Hits, Volume 1" released 1998.

Capitol Nashville released Deana Carter's "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" 1998.

Warner Bros. released "Chad Brock" 1998.

Johnny Cash hospitalized with pneumonia 1999.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

HOT LONG FOOT DOGS.
By: Jack Blanchard

Almost every morning when we wake up,
I say something like this to Misty:
"Do you come here often?"
Today she said, "Not if I don't have to."

She had some Strauss waltzes playing on a CD.
I didn't comment.
I like that music once in a while.
After about ten minutes of Strauss' three-quarter time,
she got up and changed the CD, saying...
"I want some music where I don't have to count!"

Anyway...
A lot of people make me laugh:
Stephen Wright, Bob Newhart, Mark Twain,
Homer Simpson...The list is endless,
but the one who makes me laugh most often lives right here.

At first I thought it was a tendency toward spoonerisms,
years ago, when Misty read a roadside sign to me as :
"Hot long foot dogs",
and "Look at the Clydes up in the skow!"
(Clouds up in the sky.)

After a while I began to notice the little smile she had
when saying one of these things.
She knows she's funny,
but she doesn't care if people think she's mixed up.
Mixed up like a fox!

Over the years I wrote most of them down for posterity
on the inside covers of legal pads.
I now have hundreds of these
which I plan to go through someday,
to put her sayings into a book.
In the meantime, here are a few I can remember:

"He's watching me like I'm a hawk."

"Bleeding like a stuffed pig".

"Life is a three-way street."

"Let the guy without sin pass the first stone."

I said "Who's that singing?"
She said "The Elderly Brothers."

She once said to me:
"You could charm the women right out of the trees."

"Running around like a chicken with its hat off."

We were mixing down a recording session
and she picked out a little flaw.
The engineer told her she could really hear well,
and she said this: "Like a mink".

Over morning coffee...
Misty was telling me a story from her childhood,
and after a while I jumped in.
She said "I'm still talking."
I said "I've been trying to get a word in for three days."
She said "I was just trying to finish my paragraph."
We laughed, and then she finished her paragraph.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The Front Porch-Stan Hitchcock

Just sitting here drinking my coffee and thinking about sayings that people used
when I was growing up.

If you were at the market, or met one of the friends and neighbors that you
hadn't seen for awhile, you'd say "HowsurMom'nthem?", as if it were one word.
After you had
caught up on their current events, you would say, "Y"uns come see us ,
hear?"...I don't know if they still talk like that in the Ozarks…but, in my
childhood, it was never
Y'all…it was always Y'uns…or Us'ns…or We'uns. Back in the deep hollers of the
Southern Ozarks, it's like they made up their own special language. Funny thing,
most
of them Ozarkers came from Appalachia, moving on when they could see the smoke
of their neighbors cabin and figured it was getting too crowded. So, they all
had to
have the same language origins in the beginning. But, when they got to the Ozark
hills, they dropped Y'all and started using Y'uns. My Mothers people, the Wallis
Clan,
moved to the Arkansas Ozarks in the 1830's, leaving a barely settled part of
Tennessee, and traveling by covered wagon to Arkansas, when it was still a wild,
untamed
back of beyond, full of renegade Indians, outlaws and general desperadoes of all
make and manner. They homesteaded on top of Boat Mountain, close to the Buffalo
River, and began to breed like rabbits, building up the Clan to have enough
Manpower to defend their homesite. And that is how they talked, when I first
heard them in
1941, when I was 5 years old. We had gone down to Valley Springs, and then up
the old logging road to the top where Great Great Grand Daddy had first built
his log
cabin, when he arrived from Tennessee. As I stood there in the Smoky, dim light
from the fireplace, and listened to my kinfolks talk, it was like being in a
foreign country
where you do not understand the language.

Through the years of growing up, on a farm 14 miles North of Springfield, out by
Pleasant Hope, I continued to listen to the Native Ozarker, with their dialect
and rhythm
of speaking. They were, and I'm sure still are, some of the finest people that
ever lived. They were fiercely Independent, with a "Makin' Do" outlook on life.
Through the long years, the Ozarks became more settled, and a lot of the old
language went away and fell out of use. But, if you go deep enough down into
Taney or
Stone Counties, or on down into Arkansas, along the Buffalo River, you will
still find some small remote areas where the old ways are still practiced. They
still ask, "Hey,
howsurMom'nthem?" stan

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
– Mark 8:36 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment