Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Thursday September 22nd, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday September 22nd, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

A lot of songs are written because of inspiration and some are written because
of necessity. According to Willie Nelson - his 1980 number one "On The Road
Again" was
one of the latter!

Willie commented "I wrote "On Te Road Again" when I was on a plane with Sydney
Pollack and Jerry Shatzberg. Sydney was the producer and Jerry was the director
for
the "Honeysuckle Rose" movie and they told me they needed a song for the movie.
And I asked them what they wanted the song to say. Sydney replied, "We need a
song
about being on the road." So I asked him "How about this: On the road again -
on the road again - I just can't wait to get on the road again. The life I love
is making music
with my friend - and can't wait to get on the road again." They looked at each
other and after awhile Sydney said "But what about a melody" And I told him I
would come
up with one before we got into the studio. They weren't that knocked out with
the song in the beginning but they just couldn't hear the song like I could hear
it. They
were very nice and gentlemanly about the whole thing. I think they were trying
to keep from hurting my feelings and didn't want me to know that they were
worried but I think they were."

Willie Nelson's Columbia Record single "On The Road Again" came on the charts
August 30th, 180 and made it to number one.

It was his 63rd charted song and was on the charts for 16 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^

A NASHVILLE SONGWRITER'S JOURNEY WITH THE STARS

A collection of Nashville songwriter John Riggs' stories and experiences with
country music's top recording artists – including George Jones , Hank Snow,
Marty
Robbins, Conway Twitty and over 40 more!
John Riggs reveals the real personality of the biggest names in country music
– and a few surprises!
John was also Ralph Emery's assistant on Ralph's all night radio show on WSM –
Nashville for five years and offers an insight to the top stars in country
music that few
people ever experience.
$20 for either the printed book or E-book on CD OR $35 for a copy of both.
Check – Money Order or PayPal – email: selectiverecords@comcast.net
for PayPal – or mail check or money order to: Selective Records – P.O. Box 90574
– Nashville,
Tennessee 37209

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I heard about some new Roy Orbison music being released. Do you have
any information?
A: A new collection of Roy Orbison's hits - compiled by his sons - is set for
release on October 28th. "The Ultimate Collection" contains 26 tracks from
throughout

Orbison's career and is available for pre-order on Amazon.

Q: The radio folks talked about a CMA record being released. What is that?
A: The Country Music Association is celebrating the 50th annual CMA Awards
with a tribute release "Forever Country," a new single featuring 30 of the
biggest names

in country music. "Forever Country" is a medley of John Denver's "Take Me Home,
Country Roads," Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" and Dolly Parton's "I Will
Always

Love You." The project is a moving tribute to country music, country music fans,
and the artists who have built this format into what it is today," according to
CMA CEO

Sarah Trahern. " The full list of performers on "Forever Country" includes
Alabama, Dierks Bentley, Luke Bryan, Alan Jackson, Lady Antebellum, Reba
McEntire, Kacey

Musgraves, Tim McGraw, Nelson, Brad Paisley, Parton, Rascal Flatts, Darius
Rucker, Blake Shelton, Randy Travis, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban and Trisha
Yearwood.

Q: Hank Williams Jr. had a hit record back in the 70's titled "All For The
Love Of Sunshine" which is still my favorite. Do you know who wrote that song?
A: The 1970 Hank Jr. number one was written by Lalo Schifrin, Harley Hatcher,
and Mike Curb

Q: I remember that old song "Waiting For A Train" was recorded by several
singers and I remember hearing part of it on the radio by Dave Dudley. Did he
record that

song?
A: Dave Dudley's version of "Waiting For A Train" is in his 1964 "Travelin'
With Dave Dudley" album

Q: Do you remember the Bob Luman record of "Still Loving You" - which sounded
like Elvis? I bought that record in 1974 but my friend says it was released
earlier. Is

that true?
A: Luman's first release of "Still Loving You" peaked at # 56 in 1970. He
re-recorded the song in 1973 which went to # seven.

Q: Have you ever heard of a Waylon Jennings record of "Singer Of Sad Songs?"
My brother says it was popular in the early 70's
A: The song was written by Alex Zanetis and scored a # 12 hit for Waylon in
1970.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.


For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1948
Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way) - Eddy Arnold

1956
Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog - Elvis Presley

1964
I Guess I'm Crazy - Jim Reeves

1972
When the Snow is on the Roses - Sonny James

1980
Lookin' for Love - Johnny Lee

1988
Joe Knows How to Live - Eddy Raven

^^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of our readers are going thru – or - have gone thru - health problems –
some of them life threatening. And a lot of you believe in alternative or
natural approaches to
health problems.
Well - whether you believe in them or not – I urge you to check out this
website:
www.lynncapehartwellness.com -

http://www.lynncapehartwellness.com

– a site which strives earnestly to
provide cutting edge wellness information not available any place else.

www.lynncapehartwellness.com -

http://www.lynncapehartwellness.com


The site contains blogs about everything from sleep problems, to hair and
eyebrow loss, heart disease, asthma, high cholesterol, cancer, morning sickness,
erectile
dysfunction, hangovers, bad breath, fatigue, flu, sports injuries, allergies,
body sculpting exercises, and much more.

So - P L E A S E - take the time to check it out !
www.lynncapehartwellness.com -

http://www.lynncapehartwellness.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

Roy "Pop" Lewis Sr., of "The Lewis Family" born Pickens, SC 1905.

Eddy Arnold's "Just A Little Lovin'," topped the charts 1948.

June Forester "Forester Sisters," born Lookout Mountain, GA 1952.

Debbie Boone, recording artist/daughter of Pat Boone, born Hackensack, NJ 1956.

Jim Reeves' "I Guess I'm Crazy" was # 1 in 1964.

Sonny James topped the charts with "When The Snow is on the Roses" 1972.

Jimmy Bryant, guitarist/songwriter/actor, died 1980.

Johnny and June Carter Cash began filming "Murder in Coweta County" 1982.

Everly Brothers played their first concert together in ten years, 1983.

Willie Nelson's "Farm Aid," debuted on the campus of the University of Illinois
1985. The concert was televised on TNN, and $9,000,000 was raised. Fifty-four
acts

performed.

Eddy Raven's "Joe Knows How to Live" went to #1 in 1988.

Wiley Morris, Bluegrass recording artist/multi-instrumentalist, died 1990.

Hank Thompson, Wayne Carson, and Roger Cook inducted NSHF 1997.

Varese Records released "The Very Best of Johnny Bond" 1998.

Dolly Parton, Johnny Bond, and Conway Twitty, inducted CMHF 1999.

33rd annual CMA Awards 1999. Shania Twain, Entertainer of the Year, and
International Artist Achievement Award. Martina McBride won Female Vocalist. Jo
Dee Messina
won the Horizon Award. Tim McGraw won Male Vocalist. George Jones refused to
appear, after the CMA insisted he perform a shortened version, of his nominated
single
"Choices." Alan Jackson surprised the CMA by singing George's song instead of
his own, and he then left the building.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

THE BOOGIE MAN.
By: Jack Blanchard

My first instrument was a ukulele.
I played it and sang "Little Brown Jug"
in front of my second grade class, in my little high voice,
and they clapped politely.
That's how classes acted then, kids.
I was ok on the uke,
so a while later my dad bought me a Gibson guitar.

I missed my ukulele with the four gut strings.
They were easy for a kid my age to hold down.
The steel strings on the guitar were painful.

The Mel Bay book went into my comic book drawer,
and the guitar stood in the corner... like a planter.
I still listened to loud records
until it killed the neighborhood real estate value,
but I played no instrument for a number of years.

Though I was an honor student in grammar school,
I hated high school, and skipped a lot of classes.
I was sneaking around the halls one day
when I heard music coming from the auditorium.
I looked in the door
and saw a bunch of kids gathered around the piano,
and somebody playing what sounded like Jimmy Durante music.

The player
was a guy a year or two ahead of me named Johnny Molay.
I not only liked the music, but I liked all the girls it attracted.
I thought "Hmmm."

I spent my whole Summer vacation
at my grandparents' upright piano.
I taught myself the Durante style, but boogie piano took over.
There were old boogie-woogie piano records around the house,
Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson, Pinetop Smith, Freddy Slack,
and other pioneers in this form of jazz.
It was the beginnings of Rock & Roll.

First I practiced the intricate left hand patterns,
so that I wouldn't have to think about it.
Then I learned the right hand licks and put them together.

I started playing saloon piano when I was about sixteen...
the only boogie piano guy in the area.
The room would get rockin'
and I might play one song for a half hour non-stop.
I got a lot of attention, especially from the girls.
I like attention.
Isn't that why we go into the music business?
It can't be the financial security.

Last week
Misty and I were listening to boogie piano players on YouTube,
some of the old timers, and some of the new ones.
The new boogie players seem to be mostly European.
They copied the old records and then expanded on them,
adding their own touch.
Here is one artist I recommend that you go see.
His name is Johan Blohm.

I wasn't born in Country Music,
but I got here as fast as I could.

Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THE GIRL IN THE BLUE DRESS
By Stan Hitchcock

On December 2, 1984, I was participating in one of cable television's premiere
events, "The Western Show", held in the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim,
California. I was heading up a new start-up cable television network called
Country Music Television (CMT) and I had brought Conway Twitty to the convention
to focus
attention on CMT. That night, in the middle of the lobby of the Anaheim Hilton,
I was introduced to my future wife, a beautiful woman in a blue dress by the
name of
Denise Thornburg. Now, I didn't know she was my future wife but God had a real
special blessing in store for me. I was just recovering from a pretty rough
divorce and
the last thing I believed I needed was a WIFE. Now when I say we were
introduced, I mean a very quick intro and hand shake and then "poof" she's off
in a whirlwind of
activity. I just kinda stood there in a daze, thought, "hmmmmm, very nice", and
went on about my business of cable television.A couple of months later, in
February, 1985,
a friend of mine that worked with me at CMT was in California for some meetings
and in one of the meetings he ran into Denise, who was a Vice President of a
Cable
Television PR and Marketing company located in California. Denise gave him her
business card to bring back to me and wrote on the back, "the girl in the blue
dress".

When I was given the card a few days later I immediately picked up the phone in
my office and called Denise in California. We chatted awhile and I told her that
I would be
making a business trip to California soon and maybe we could get together.In
April of 1985 I checked into the Beverly Hills Hotel, made my way up to my room
and called
Denise at her office and told her I was in town....and how about some supper
tonight. That evening I slicked up some (put on clean Levi's, and shined my
boots) and went
downstairs to meet Denise. I must have looked quite the hillbilly come to town,
my black Levi's, black silk shirt and Pink (yeah, that's right PINK....you got a
problem with
that?) raw silk sport jacket, and my yellow Tony Lama's shined up and looking
good. Hey, I spent most of my life on stage and we dress funny. Now, if you have
ever been
inside the Beverly Hills Hotel it's all decorated in Green and PINK, so I looked
like I was camouflaged, especially for the Hotel. I stepped off the elevator and
there stood
"the woman in the blue dress" that I would spend the rest of my days
with...Denise Thornburg...wow, what a woman she is too...sure she's beautiful,
but that is not what
strikes you first about Denise...it's a certain glow that she seems to
carry....a glow of goodness that is so evident that everyone who meets her
senses it. I may be a
hillbilly, but son, I can spot a thoroughbred when I see one, and when I stepped
off that elevator, in the Beverly Hills Hotel, gaudy in my hillbilly finery and
with a wounded
heart that needed healing....my life changed forever. Miss Denise was fixing to
make me whole and prove that everyone really does have a soul mate....it just
takes some
of us a little longer to find 'em.What followed was a whirl wind romance (no,
I'm not gonna give you the details of it all, what, you think I'm crazy?) After
the weekend in
Beverly Hills, a month later, we spent the week at the National Cable Television
Convention in Las Vegas....how nice that they schedule these industry events to
coincide
with my romance. At the end of the week in Vegas, I proposed, she accepted.....I
went back to Nashville and bought an engagement ring and had it FedEx'd to
Hollywood,
where her office was located. The FedEx man, with me on the phone, got down on
his knees and gave Denise the ring. We were married September 21st of 1985, on
stage
at Music Village USA, in Conway Twitty's backyard with all my music buddies
coming and wishing us well....it was a glorious event.We bought a log house in
Sumner
County and a little patch of land to keep a few horses and we had a life...some
would say, 'bout dang time. I adopted a scripture as my daily creed: "THOSE WHO
WAIT ON THE LORD, SHALL RENEW THEIR STRENGTH, THEY SHALL MOUNT UP WITH WINGS
LIKE EAGLES, THEY SHALL RUN AND NOT BE WEARY, THEY SHALL WALK AND
NOT FAINT." Isaiah 40:31 New King James Version. Most of the unhappiness in my
life has been my inability to wait.....I am driven to run ahead, hey, I can do
it by myself,
no sweat, uh-huh....ok, how come you just fell on your butt then? Because, we
are all basically selfish and self-centered...wanting to do it our way, like
Elvis and Sinatra
sang about…but, if we will wait and be patient, and really seek the way the Lord
would have us go....well, then we can be eagles, the sky's the limit. I had a
real bad track
record in my personal life but I was learning to wait on the Lord, and Denise is
my prize and my joy…and our son Scott is 30 years old this year!
31 years today of sharing life with The Girl In The Blue Dress…It just don't get
no better than that.

Today we live in the Old Farm House on the hill above the Chuckling Creek
forever embracing each other and the life that is Blessed. Thank you Lord for
this Life Partner
who came to me as a gift...wrapped in blue. stan

www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
– Ephesians 4:2-3 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment