Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Thursday June 30th, 2016 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday June 30th, 2016

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Most songwriters will admit that they started several songs they never completed
and according to Bonnie Owens – she was no exception!
She commented, "Yes - I've started a lot of songs that I never completed – some
of them I just never got back to and some others I just completely forgot
about."
Bonnie was married to Merle Haggard for 13 years and says, "I wrote some stuff
with Merle. But he wrote "Today I Started Lovin' You Again" by himself. I never
heard him say it but I think that was his favorite of all the songs he wrote. I
remember when he was writing it and I did convince him to leave out four more
lines he wanted to put in the song. I thought those four lines actually took
away from the song instead of adding to it. I didn't work on that song but he
gave me half of it anyway. There are actually only eight lines in that song."
"Today I Started Loving You Again" was released as the flip-side of "The Legend
of Bonnie and Clyde." The song was later recorded by Al Martino, then by
Charlie McCoy, David Peters, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, Bettye Swann,
Sammi Smith, Bobby Bland, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton. More recently it was
recorded by Jeff Carson and Merle Haggard for Carson's 1997 Album "Butterfly
Kisses."

^^^^^^^^^^^

MORE BOOKS FROM THE STORE ROOM:

300 page "HANK WILLIAMS – THE BIOGRAPHY" - inside story of the rise and fall of
Hank with lots of photos : PLUS: 338 page hardback "DOLLY – MY LIFE AND OTHER
UNFINISHED BUSINESS" – Dolly Parton's own story of her life – the hard times and
the good – lots of photos PLUS: 300 page hardback "CREATING COUNTRY MUSIC" –
behind the scenes story of the development of country music as an art form –
several photos -

ALL THREE BOOKS FOR $35.00 and I'll pay shipping.
PayPal – Check or Money Order – reply to djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I heard on the radio that Rosanne Cash is doing something with gun control.
Do you know anything about that?
A: She is one of several artists who have put their signatures to an open
letter to Congress regarding gun violence in the United States. The document
demands a change in laws to curb gun-related deaths and injuries.

Q: My dad says that Ferlin Husky recorded his big song "Gone" more than one
time. Is that true and if so - when?
A: Ferlin originally recorded "Gone" under the name "Terry Preston" in 1952.
His hit version was recorded in 1957.

Q: There was a song on the radio years ago by a guy singing about "baby had
blue jeans on." Do you know who had that record and who wrote the song
A: "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On" was written by Bob McDill and was a # one
for Mel McDaniel in 1984.

Q: My favorite Willie Nelson song is "Blackjack County Chain." Did he write
that song?
A: "Blackjack County Chain" was written by Red Lane.

Q: George Strait's "Amarillo By Morning" is one of my favorites. My mom
says that song was a hit for someone else before Strait. Is that true?
A: The song was a # 31 hit for Terry Stafford in 1974. Strait's version peaked
at # 4 in 1983.

Q: My dad says he remembers hearing Buck Owens sing the old song "Sally Was A
Good Ole Girl" on the radio several years ago. I can't find any info on it. Do
you know?
A: The song was a track in Buck's 1964 "On The Bandstand" album

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio stations at no
charge.

For information, email me at djdclassics@gmail.com

^^^^^^^^^^


NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1949
One Kiss Too Many - Eddy Arnold

1957
Four Walls - Jim Reeves

1965
Before You Go - Buck Owens

1973
Don't Fight the Feelings of Love - Charley Pride

1981
Blessed are the Believers - Anne Murray

1989
I Don't Want to Spoil the Party - Roseanne Cash

^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Courtesy: Bill Morrison

Bill Chitwood, "The Georgia Yellow Hammers," born Resaca, GA 1888.

Doyle Holley born Perkins, OK 1936.

Donna Hilley, music industry executive, born Birmingham, AL 1946.

R. W. Blackwood and Bill Lyles, of the Blackwood Brothers Quartet, killed in a
plane crash in Clanton, AL 1954.

Dwayne Keith O'Brien "Little Texas" born Ada, OK 1963.

Vivian Liberto Cash filed for Divorce from Johnny Cash 1966.

Merle Haggard's single "Everybody's Had the Blues Sometimes" went to #1 1972.

Vern Gosden charted his #1 single "I Can Tell By The Way You Dance," in 1984.

Starday released Jim Eanes album "Your Old Standby" 1998.

Black Jack Wayne died 1999.

Sara Evans "I Could Not Ask For More" charted on Billboard's Top 40 in 2001.

Chester Burton "Chet" Atkins, age 77, died in Nashville 2001. In 1973, Chet
Atkins, age 49, was the youngest person ever inducted into the Country Music
Hall Of Fame. He was inducted into the R&RHF in 2002, as a sideman.

Courtesy: <http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^

A NUDE TALK WITH THE MAYOR.
By: Jack Blanchard

Did I ever tell you about my nude conversation with the mayor?
But, before I get into that, let me give you some facts you should be aware ofin
order to understand my state of mind
during the time of the nude exchange.
First: Central Florida is the lightning center of the world.
Scientists come here to study it.
Several of them are now sopranos.

Also, bear in mind that I have a serious death fear.
I lie awake nights worrying about earthquakes.
I'm afraid to fly, and afraid to take a train because a plane might hit it.
I do occasionally take a plane when my greed gets stronger than my fear.

I know that in the event of a catastrophe,
I'll be the only one prepared.
I check exits when entering a building,
sniff for gas fumes, and watch for high ground in case of flood.

I lay out my shoes, clothes, and hat before retiring,
in such a way that I'll be able to leap directly from the bed
into a fully dressed condition... ready for action.
If there's ever a fire I'll have to save everybody.

I bought a bunch of burglar alarms that look like doorstops.
These are wedge shaped gadgets that you slide under the door,
and when somebody tries to open it,
it holds the door shut and lets out a bloodcurdling noise.

I had just slid the first one under the kitchen door,
when Misty drove into the carport.
Aha! She would be my test pilot.
She opened the door, walked right past me, and said this:
"Hi. What are you doing on the floor?"
The door had opened OUTWARD!

People who don't think about nuclear attack,
ptomaine poisoning, tidal waves, etc., are idiots.
They don't understand the seriousness of the situation.
They'll be the first ones I'll have to save,
after I get my shoes, clothes, and hat on.

As for lightning, there are certain rules we must follow to avoid death or
walking funny.
Don't Be On a beach; near water; near bed springs; near a fireplace;
near plumbing; on top of a house or hill; in a bathtub; near a cow;
talking to a republican; under a flagpole; or in a draft.
I was in the shower, hurrying to get out because it was thundering outside.
I was sort of jumping lightly up and down
to break the ground connection.
Lightning always seeks a ground connection.

I keep a phone in the bathroom
in case of the big break call from Hollywood
I've been expecting all my life.
Anyway, it was thundering, I was washing and jumping,
and the phone rang. I thought I'd been struck!

"Hi! This is the mayor", he said as I sprawled on the floor,
the back half of me still in the shower.
"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time."
"Oh, no!", I assured him. I had met the mayor a couple of times,
and I thought he might be calling to offer me a big job with the city.
I had often wondered why they never asked me.

"Hold on a second, will you, mayor?",
I said cheerfully, as lightning struck a tree in the backyard.
I put down the phone long enough to get my back end out of the bath.
I realized that talking on the phone
is another thing you're not supposed to do during a storm,
but how often does the mayor call?

I picked up the phone again and heard him say something and hang up.
"Jeez!", I said. "If you couldn't wait one lousy minute!"

I sat there, dripped, and stared at the phone.
"To hell with him and his lousy job!", I thought.
Misty later asked me if something was wrong.
She said I had a funny expression.
I told her about the strange call from the mayor,
and we hoped he wasn't hitting the sauce.

At eleven o'clock I turned on the news
to see if I could JUST ONCE pick out tomorrow's forecast
from the weather guy's meteorological lecture, and I missed it again.
Then they showed the tape recorders.
They told how everybody got a RECORDED call from the mayor,
concerning some stupid issue that was up for a vote.

They played the tape: "Hi! This is the mayor", it said,
"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time." "Bite me", I said.

Jack Blanchard
Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan...
Home Page: http://www.jackandmisty.net
Awards: Grammy, Billboard, CMA, BMI, ASCAP.

CD catalog: www.elvinsystems.com/jm/catalog.htm -

http://www.elvinsystems.com/jm/catalog.htm


CD order form: birdwalk2.tripod.com/jandmorder.htm -

http://birdwalk2.tripod.com/jandmorder.htm


CD Baby: www.cdbaby.com/cd/jackmisty -

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jackmisty



YouTube: www.youtube.com/jackandmisty -

http://www.youtube.com/jackandmisty


FaceBook: www.facebook.com/jackblanchard.mistymorgan -

<http://www.facebook.com/jackblanchard.mistymorgan>



Mastering & restoration studio: 352-530-2068.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

View From The River Bank-Stan Hitchcock
Just got back in after a great day on the water. 74 degrees at the high point
and 54 during the night. Caught some good size Bass today working a plastic frog
in the Lily Pads and slop where the fish lay up all day staying out of the
bright Sunshine. Fishing by myself and since I don't talk to myself much, very
Peaceful. Mighty pretty country. stan
Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through
the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord's
people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches
of Christ, and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery,
which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.
– Ephesians 3:7-9 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment