Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Thursday September 3rd, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday September 3rd, 2015

Email: djdclassics@gmail.com


STORY BEHIND THE SONG

Lots of songs are written from personal experience and according to David
Bellamy - the Bellamy Brothers 1982 number one "Redneck Girl," was one of those.

David commented "I got the idea for that song when we were building our home
studio. One of the carpenters wives showed up each day at noon with his lunch in
a paper bag and a Mason jar of iced tea and she stayed while he ate. That woman
reminded me of some of the redneck girls we'd see at our concerts out on tour.
They would come up after the shows and take off their belts for us to autograph.
And they always had their names on the back of their belts. And that's where I
got the idea for that song."

The Bellamy Brothers Warner Bros. single "Redneck Girl" showed up on the country
music charts September 25th, 1982. Eleven weeks later - it was in the top slot
as their sixth number one single. And it was their 17th charted song.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: I have heard that Ralph Stanley is still on the road. Isn't he a little old
for that?
A: Ralph Stanley was born in 1927 and will hit the road in 2016 with his
grandson for his "Man Of Constant Sorrow" tour.

Q: I haven't heard about Hank Williams Jr. lately. Is he still in the music
business?
A: Hank Jr. is still in the business and is readying for a fall tour to
promote his upcoming album which is to be released on his new record label Nash
Icon Records.

Q: The radio guys were talking about the Judds getting back together Do you
have any details?
A: Naomi and Wynonna will reunite for a 9-show residency at the Venetian in
Las Vegas October 7th thru October 24th

Q: Years ago I was into pop and rock music and somebody had a big pop hit on a
song titled "Sugar Shack." And I remember someone had a hit on the song that
made the oountry charts. Do you know who those singers were?
A: "Sugar Shack" was a number one pop hit for Jimmy Gilmer and The Fireballs
in 1963. Bobby G. Rice took the song to number 32 on the country charts in 1970.

Q: My grandpa used to sing a song about "Smoke That Cigarette." He said it was
on the radio all the time back in the 40's. Do you know anything about such a
record?
A: "Smoke Smoke Smoke That Cigarette" was a number one for 16 weeks for Tex
Williams in 1947. He re-recorded the song in 1968 and released it as "Smoke
Smoke Smoke - 68" - which peaked at number 32.

Q: A friend of mine is a huge Eddy Arnold fan. He says that every record
Arnold made went to number one. Is that true?
A: Eddy Arnold placed 146 singles on the country record charts but only 28 of
them made it to number one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, "Story Behind The Song" is now
available to radio
stations.

NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com

^^^^^^^^^^

NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE

1945
You Two-Time Me One Time Too Often - Tex Ritter
1953
A Dear John Letter - Jean Shepard & Ferlin Husky
1961
Tender Years - George Jones
1969
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash
1977
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle
1985
Love is Alive - The Judds

^^^^^^^^^^^

HOME SPUN WISDOM.
By: Jack Blanchard

We don't watch the CMA Awards anymore.
It's all twirl and no Merle.

When trouble arises and things look bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a solution
and is willing to take command.
Usually that person is crazy.

I live in an area that used to have a lot of bands, piano bars,
and other live entertainment.
Now about ninety percent of the places are automated
with canned music, karaoke, or TV.
The singers, waitresses, bartenders, and club owners are still there. Still
happy.
Can you find who is left out of this picture?

Misty makes all the small decisions, like buying a house or car,
and I handle the big problems
like world hunger, the ecology, and the possibility of life on Mars.

Jokes you can't use anymore...
Let's go into the darkroom and see what develops.

I was playing at a piano bar in Hollywood.
On a break, a woman at a table alone, called me over.
She motioned to me to lean down so she could whisper something to me.
She said softly "You think you're so hot playing up there being the center of
attention.
Well, I think your music stinks and I don't like your hair."
I jumped back and shouted "FIFTY DOLLARS?"
Then SHE was the center of attention.

I'm gonna have to read my email more carefully.
I just donated $20 to Save The Rich.

You can not sneeze with your eyes open.
Nature's way of keeping our eyeballs from flying out.

We don't usually discuss politics with strangers,
even when offered candy.

BUFFALO FACTORIES...
I had a perfect record:
I never worked anyplace I could go back to.

I don't think the charity of the rich can be depended upon.

This from MAYF NUTTER:
"I had to clear out my closet
so my mother-in-law would have a place to hang upside-down and sleep."

I want to get so rich I can live in the world's most expensive trailer,
dine on roast mink with gold sauce,
donate my organs to the Republican party,
and hire an illegal immigrant to write my songs.

All of us piano players have been replaced by canned music now,
and although I know that change is inevitable,
I still complain.

The new air conditioner is working fine.
Before we got it Misty put a big floor fan in the kitchen doorway
to blow some cool air back to me in the studio,
to prevent me from going naked in front of the dog.

Young people are wearing their pants around their knees,
saluting the flag with one finger, and having more sex than we did.
Soon they will run the world unless we are allowed to hunt them.

To those who have never paid much attention to country music,
all country singers sound alike.
To some of them we all sound like Willie Nelson.

There are people who are good arguers,
and they jump at every opportunity to show off the facts, figures,
and "history" they have either gained second-hand or made up.

Money does not disappear.
It just changes hands, and maybe leaves the country altogether.

Music killed my uncle. He was trying to play "Flight of the Bumblebee" on a
tuba,
and blew his liver out the horn.

I got this from a friend in Buffalo last Winter:
"It's bitter cold with strong winds and blowing snow. Nothing to do.
My wife has just been staring through the window all day.
If it gets any worse I'll have to let her in."

A lot of jazz musicians are key snobs,
and like to play in difficult keys to show off,
especially guitarists
who only have to move up or down a fret to drive the piano guy crazy.

Musicians that can play three chords
don't like those who can play four chords.
Chord Envy.

In ancient Rome they said this about the new year:
"I can't believe it's 4 BC already!
In four years it will be Nothing!
I can't believe how fast the years are subtracting!"

When the DEEP TURTLE crawls over sneezy garden walls,
And the stars begin to snicker in the sky,
A bar mitzvah in memory, cucumberectomy,
Breathing chow mein with a sigh ah-ee ah-ee, whoa yeah.

My self-help books:
"Learn Magic: Pull a Flaming Rabbit Out of Your Pants"
"Neuter Your Pet with Common Kitchen Utensils."
"Appear Taller by Clenching Your Foot Muscles."
"Teaching a Ferret to Whistle."
"Drive Without Your Glasses."

This is either an old map or we're in Carthage.

Jack Blanchard
http://jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY

Compiled by Bill Morrison

Johnnie Lee Wills, the second of four Wills brothers, born Jewett, TX 1912.
Younger brother of Bob Wills.

Charlene Arthur born "Charlene Highsmith" Henrietta, TX 1929.

Grady Nutt, Hee Haw Cast, born 1934.

Margaret Whiting and Jimmy Wakely's, "Slippin' Around," charted 1949.

Kitty Wells topped the charts with "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels"
1952.

The Everly Brothers released "Wake Up Little Susie," 1957.

Paul Wylie Deakin "The Mavericks," born Miami, FL 1959.

Cowboy Copas topped the charts with "Alabam" 1960.

Connie Smith and Bob Luman joined the Grand Ole Opry 1965.

Shell Smith, age 72, guitarist/recording artist, died 1968.

Ronnie Milsap topped the charts with "I'm A Stand By Your Woman Man" 1976.

Fabor Robison, age 74, record company executive, died 1986.

Travis Tritt's single "Country Club" debuted on the charts 1989.

Randy Travis' crossed Las Vegas Musicians Union picket lines, during a
three-night engagement at Bally's in 1989.

Lester Wilburn died of a heart attack in Nashville, TN 1990.

Mark Chesnutt entertained at a party hosted by the Texas delegation of the
Republican National Convention in NYC 2004.

<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalendar.html>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock

Well, it is a beautiful morning in the Tennessee hills, still cool before that
"Lucky Old Sun gets to roll around heaven all day" (words and music by Beasley
Smith and Haven Gillespie). Yessir, it is so pretty that only the words of a
song could describe it properly. This weeks cool spell ends today as the temps
and humidity come back, but the few days of cool weather were sure nice.

The Black Crows have settled back in the trees by the creek and their noisy
proclamations of Bird Power drown out all the other Morning sounds. Even the
Jackass braying cannot cut through all that commotion.

The Coffee is strong and doing its job of getting all my body parts woke up and
functioning, as it does every morning. Coffee, The Elixir of the Common Folk. I
may not "saucer" my coffee like Grandpa did, but, my intake is about the same as
his...now, I'm ready to hook up the horse and go plow the bottom 40 acres, as he
did. Yeah, I reckon I would make it about ten feet of wrestling that old double
shovel plow behind that giant Work Horse we used to have. No, I'm afraid that
there will never be that tough a generation to come again. Those men and women
of the Depression and two World Wars were just the last of the Pioneer
Americans. Those men who could clear a field of trees with a doulble bitted axe,
a cross cut saw and then build a home from the cut down trees that had been
shaped up into square logs, and notched on the ends to fit like a jig saw
puzzle. Who left the farms and went to Europe to fight in the trenches of World
War 1, ruining their lungs with the gasses that the Krauts were using against
them..and then, 30 years later having to fight a new generation of Nazi's on one
hand and screaming hordes of Japs on the Islands of the Pacific. I'm not even
sure that the Schools teach all that in their History classes today, but those
of us who were blessed to be alive during their time know what they did and the
Life that they lived.

So, I lift my Coffee Cup toward the Morning sunrise, in a salute to Grandpa's
generation, those Stalwart men and women who built a new start for a Country
that had just been torn apart by a Civil War. There will never be another like
ye, and I'm glad I got to know you, The Heroes born in the late 1800's who never
gave up living their life of Freedom. I got to spend my early years walking
behind you, bare toes sinking into the fresh turned Earth, as you
plowed the straight furrow in the Ozark dirt, me watching for the big earth
worms you were turning up and I was snatching up to put in my Folgers Coffee Can
to later head to the creek for some fishing. Guess some things never
change...I'm still always ready to head for the creek, it seems. God Bless Us
All.

Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
"No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will
pull away from the garment, making the tear worse. Neither do people pour new
wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out
and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and
both are preserved."
– Matthew 9:16-17 (NIV)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:

country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com

^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment