Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Thursday April 2nd, 2015 COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS



Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/
Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Thursday April 2nd, 2015



CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT www.countrymusicclassics.com -

http://www.countrymusicclassics.com


Email: Classics@countrymusicclassics.com

STORY BEHIND THE SONG



A lot of songs are written from a title or in some cases - the hook line or part
of it becomes the title but in the case of Rosanne Cash's 1982 number one "Blue
Moon With Heartache," the song's title was the last thing to come.



According to Rosanne, where the idea for the song came from remains a mystery.



She commented, "The idea for the song just came along and I caught it."



And after several attempts to title the tune, it was Rodney Crowell's suggestion
to go with "Blue Moon With Heartache."



It was the third single released from her "Seven Year Ache" album - which became
her first gold LP.



"Blue Moon With Heartache" came on the country music charts February 21st, 1982
and was in the top slot on March 13th, 1982.



The single was produced by Rodney Crowell and was her 4th charted song and her
first number one.



^^^^^^^^^^



QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS



Q: I have heard that Reba McEntire is now in the cosmetic business. Do you
have any info?
A: The Reba Beauty Cosmetic line launches April 7th - with the introduction of
the new lipstick color called "Reba Deluxstick." More products will be
introduced over the next year. Reba already has a line of clothing and
home-goods available at Dillard's stores nationwide and her website.



Q: I have heard that George Strait is getting another award but the radio guys
didn't say what for. Do you know?
A: Strait is one of several artists to receive The Academy Of Country Music's
50th Anniversary Milestone Award - which commemorates an artists career
achievements that have advanced the popularity and acceptance of country music.
Other artists include Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, and Brooks & Dunn. The golden
anniversary celebration will be broadcast live from AT&T Stadium in Arlington,
Texas on April 19th on CBS-TV.



Q: The radio folks said that someone named Grady Martin was going into The Hall
Of Fame. Who is he?
A: Grady Martin was one of Nashville's premier guitar pickers - and played on
dozens of hit records - including Marty Robbins' "El Paso" and Loretta Lynn's
"Coal Miner's Daughter."



Q: Emmylou Harris is my favorite singer and I haven't heard anything about her
in a long time. Has she retired?
A: Emmylou has not retired. She and Rodney Crowell will release a second album
together on May 12th titled "The Traveling Kind." Their first duet album - "Old
Yellow Moon" won a Grammy in 2013.



Q: The radio guys said that Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson are recording
together. Do you have any information?
A: A new Haggard and Nelson album titled "Django & Jimmie" - referencing
guitarist Django Reinhardt and Jimmie Rodgers. The first single from the new
project will be released April 20th titled "It's All Gone To Pot."



Q: I have heard that Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" is being re-released.
Why is that?
A: Glen's "Rhinestone Cowboy" album has been re-mastered and re-released in
both CD and vinyl in celebration of the LP's 40th anniversary. The re-release
includes five bonus tracks .



^^^^^^^^^
A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:
Our short form daily radio feature, Story Behind The Song is now
available to radio
stations.
NOT AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)
The feature is available at no charge.
For information, email me at
classics@countrymusicclassics.com
^^^^^^^^^^



NUMBER ONES ON THIS DATE



1948
Anytime - Eddy Arnold
1956
Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
1964
Saginaw, Michigan - Lefty Frizzell
1972
My Hang-Up is You - Freddie Hart
1980
Id Love to Lay You Down - Conway Twitty
1988
Love Will Find Its Way to You - Reba McEntire



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



LIFE AND MUSIC.
By: Jack Blanchard



I was rereading a very complimentary review of one of our records.
The reviewer said this:
"It's one of the best songs Jack has written
in his long career as a songwriter."



I read the write-up about a dozen times
due apparently to a self-esteem problem.
Then I started to think "What's wrong?
I should be happier than this."



Digging through my cluttered ego,
I think I found the problem.
It was the phrase "his long career".



That's it? That was the career?
Somehow I've always thought of myself as an up-and-comer,
expecting to break into a career at any moment.
I didn't know I was actually having one...
a long one.



I guess any musician who gets through life
without resorting to a day job,
can call it a career.



How could I have had this alleged long career
when I still feel 27 years old inside?
It must be insecurity when I take a compliment as an obituary.



Peggy Lee sang a famous song titled "Is That All There Is?".
I know the song is good,
but I always avoided listening to it.
When it comes on, I mentally cover my ears and sing Jingle Bells,
fake a coughing fit, or just leave the room.
Some songs cut too close to the truths we don't want to hear.



I write sad songs about life and death, so who am I to talk?
But if I'm in the later chapters of a long career,
where's my mansion? My big bank account?



Misty and I were never Nashville insiders,
and we never got paid for most of our efforts,
but for some reason we still love our work, and will never retire.
We're waiting for some excitement... a tour...
the Big Break.



Full retirement, to me, would be like endless recess.
We have too much left to do.



We'd like to move to Cortland, New York.
It's beautiful country, they have a Country Music Hall of Fame,
and there's an apple named after the town.
So why not?



Or maybe Tennessee or California, Australia or Buffalo.
Somewhere to see new or old things.
Have an adventure.



I know Misty and I have been doing this for a lot of years,
and yet it seems like one year.
We've had unbelievable fun, and some real hell along the way.
The bad times made the good times taste better.
It's the contrasts.



We still want more. We're addicted to life and music.
Is that all there is?
Not if I can help it.



Jack Blanchard
http://www.jackandmisty.net

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Compiled by Bill Morrison



1908 - Buddy Ebsen was born Christian Rudolph Ebsen in Belleville, Illinois.

1911 - Mose "Moses" Rager 1911~1986, guitarist, born in Muhlenberg County,
Kentucky.

1931 - Kenneth Ray "Thumbs" Carllile, 1931~1987, songwriter, guitarist born St.
Louis County, Missouri.

1935 - Warner Mack, singer, songwriter, and guitarist was born "Warner
MacPherson" in Nashville, Tennessee. Mack's early career included stays at the
Louisiana Hayride and the Ozark Jubilee, and his self-penned Decca single "Is It
Wrong (For Loving You) was a Top Ten single in 1957. Warner almost lost his life
on November 29, 1964 after he was involved in a serious traffic accident, in a
snowstorm in Indiana. It would be six months before Decca released another
single for Warner, and it was a dandy. "The Bridge Washed Out" became his first
#1 record, and 8 of Warner Mack's original 9 Decca releases were Top Ten
records.

1941 - Sonny Throckmorton, singer, songwriter, born in Carlsbad, New Mexico.
Other artists have recorded more than 1,000 songs written by Sonny. He was
inducted into the NSHF in 1987.

1942 - Leon Russell was born in Lawton, Oklahoma.

1947 - Emmylou Harris was born Emmy Lou Harris in Birmingham, Alabama.

1949 - George Morgan's Candy Kisses sat atop the country charts.

1952 - Chris Frank member of the "Red Clay Ramblers" born in Omaha, Nebraska.

1955 - Cowboy Copas released "Pledging My Love."

1956 - Johnny Cash recorded "Get Rhythm" and "I Walk The Line" in Memphis, at
Sun Studio. John wrote both songs, and Sam Phillips produced the session. I Walk
The Line went to #1, and has been named a Grammy Hall of Fame recording. The
session personnel included: John Cash~vocals & guitar; Luther Perkins~guitar;
and Marshall Grant~bass. Otherwise known as Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.

1959 - Dean Townson member of "Pirates of the Mississippi," born in Battle
Creek, Michigan.

1961 - Buddy Jewell was born in Lepanto, Arkansas. The former Nashville demo
singer won the first Nashville Star competition in 2003.

1962 -Billy Dean singer, songwriter, and guitarist was born in Quincy, Florida.

1964 - Lefty Frizzell topped the charts with "Saginaw Michigan."

1969 - Wendell Hall 1896~1969, 1920' s recording artist "It Ain' t Gonna Rain No
Mo' ," died at the age of 72.



1969 - Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Flip Wilson, and the Vogues were featured guests
on The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour. Joining the guests were regular cast members
John Hartford, Pat Paulson, and of course The Rhinestone Cowboy.



1977 - Grand Ole Opry stage manager Vito Pellettieri worked his last Opry show.
Vito suffered a stroke and died on April 14th. He was the only stage manager the
Grand Ole Opry ever had. Vito was 87 years old.

1979 - Doyle Lawson formed the bluegrass group "Quicksilver." The group played
their first performance today.

1983 - Cliff Carlisle 1904~1983, age 79, singer, guitarist died in Lexington,
Kentucky.

1983 - Andy Griffith and wife Cindi were married today.

1984 - Dan Fogelberg's Epic album "Windows and Walls" was certified Gold.

1984 - Alabama's RCA Victor album "Roll On" was certified Gold & Platinum by the
RIAA.

1987 - Patsy Cline's MCA "Sweet Dreams" Soundtrack album was certified Gold.

1988 - Reba McEntire topped the charts with "Love Will Find Its Way To You."

1991 - Garth Brooks' Capitol album "No Fences" was certified 3 x Platinum.

1996 - Capitol Records released Rosanne Cash' s album "10 Song Demo."

Courtesy Bill Morrison:
<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html>





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



VIEW FROM THE FRONT PORCH
By: Stan Hitchcock



OVER THE HILL..
What's that you said, kid? You say something about "over the hill?" Yeah, well
you're right, I've been over some alright, and I've been throwed more times than
I've stayed on, but, I always got up, dusted off my jeans and stuck a boot back
in the stirrup...cause I'm ole timey, I'm rough, I ain't slick, I'm tough enough
to stay, wise enough to ease away when the cards are stacked against you. I'll
be a friend you can count on, and I'll pray for you when you're down. You see it
ain't how many hills you been over, it's how many hills you are still ready to
try. 'Cause the old timers just never did learn how to give up. We like our old
cars, our fishing boats, a favorite horse, a tractor that always starts, the
sweet woman that hangs with you like a rusty fishhook, cause she looks beyond
the wrinkles and the almost white hair and loves the man inside. We carry our
pocket knives that are sharp enough to shave with, an old arrowhead that we
found by the creek, the King James Bible is our daily road map on how to live
life in a troubled World. Son, I've got underwear older than you are, boots that
have been half soled since before you were born, my generation has gone to War
several times, and far as we are concerned...would go again in a minute. My
friends and I made music that meant something to the ones that came out and
supported us...and that was back in another Century. So, yeah, I've been on the
trail a long time now...and I ain't there yet... so long kid, I got more hills
to climb.
Stan Hitchcock
www.hitchcockcountry.com -

http://www.hitchcockcountry.com



^^^^^^^^^



SOUTHERN STYLE
By: Randall Franks
Randall Franks is a film and TV actor best known as: Officer Randy Goode
(1988-1993) in the television series In the Heat of the Night. He is also an
author, and a bluegrass singer and musician who was inducted into the
Independent Country Music Hall of Fame in 2013; recognized by the International
Bluegrass Music Museum in 2010 as a Bluegrass Legend; inducted into the Atlanta
Country Music Hall of Fame in 2004; and has been designated the "Appalachian
Ambassador of the Fiddle".
A fiddle, a fireplace, and the Grand Master Fiddle



I recently attended my family reunion and was reminded of this story I shared
some years ago. Some say it was a coalmine cave-in, while others say it was the
fever that took his folks leaving orphans; while others say it was simply a
family squabble that placed my great grandfather on the road a young age.
Whatever the reason my Grandpa Harve found himself forced to strike out on his
own in a time when children were lucky if some relative or caring neighbor took
them in.



I dont know much about his childhood, although I am told his tales of life on
the Tennessee River rivaled those of Mark Twains Huckleberry Finn.



When my dad was a boy, Harve gathered the children around the fireplace and
before bed told a story of an orphaned boy named A.J. (his real initials),
filled with intrigue of riverboat gamblers and the dangers of riding the rapids
on a handmade raft.



By this point in his life Grandpa Harve had become what my late cousin, Reece
Franks, called demanding. Of course, Reece often found himself out tending to
his horse and buggy after he came in from a visit to the general store where he
sat and reminisced with his friends.



For some reason, as Harve became a man the waters of time brought him to Catoosa
County where he courted a young girl named Emily Jane Bandy.



Already a talent at the fiddle, he brought the fiddle along while he courted.
Although I think Grandma Emmer often thought he spent more time a fiddlin than
he did a courtin.



He eventually won her heart and the couple settled into a life of farming and
raising children.



The love of music was something he shared with several of his children, teaching
the fiddle to his son Tom. Henry took up the banjo, Ethel learned the piano,
Jesse played along on the harmonica and the juice harp, while another one of the
boys took up guitar.



As the sun lowered itself behind the hills, the clan would often gather in the
parlor after supper and play a few tunes like Turkey in the Straw, Leather
Britches, and Camptown Races.



Lester and Griff would roll back the rug and, although shed probably not admit
it the next Sunday at the Baptist church, Emmer and Harve danced a jig or two.



Harve had already passed his love of music along when a farming accident injured
his left hand, making him unable to play anymore. That was probably one thing
that pained him deep within his soul.



Henrys death would eventually take the strains of the frailing banjo from the
group, and as the family grew and the boys and girls married they took their
music with them.



As the grandchildren came buzzing around, I know he would have given anything to
pick up his old black fiddle and play them a tune but instead Harve entertained
them with his stories of a youth making his way into adulthood in the
reconstruction-era South.



I wish some of them had written the stories down but, alas, they are lost with
time and even the memories that they ever existed are about gone.
It was from my great-uncle Tom, who made his life in Gordon Countys Sugar
Valley, that I first heard play the fiddle close-up. He played some of the same
licks that his father played before him.



While Grandpa Harve was not there, I could imagine him sitting at the fireplace,
his old black fiddle in hand, playing with all his great-grandchildren gathered
around him.



While many gather their earthly musical inspiration from the pop icons of this
era that parade across the Grammy Award stage, I still draw my strength from
family musical roots that run deep into the Appalachian soil.



As I reflect back on the fiddling my ancestors shared, I wonder what Grandpa
Harve and Uncle Tom would think to know one of their folks hosts the forty-third
annual Grand Master Fiddler Championship on Saturday and Sunday, September
27-28, 2014, at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville,
Tennessee. This is an event I competed in as a youth before my days guest
starring for the Grand Ole Opry and now I am honored to continue in the
tradition led by Roy Acuff and Porter Wagoner before me as celebrity host. The
program is included in museum admission. For more information about competing,
visit www.grandmasterfiddler.com -

http://www.grandmasterfiddler.com

.
Randall Franks
http://www.randallfranks.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:



Then Jesus told them, This very night you will all fall away on account of me,
for it is written: I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will
be scattered. But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee. Peter
replied, Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.
Matthew 26:31-33 (NIV)



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



To unsubscribe from this newsletter: send an email to:



country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com



^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment