Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Thursday September 5th, 2013 Country Music Classics

*

COUNTRY MUSIC CLASSICS*

*


Doug Davis
Owner/Publisher/Manager/Editor/

Writer/Gopher/Chief Cook & Bottle Washer


Thursday September 5th, 2013


CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT www.countrymusicclassics.com


*

STORY BEHIND THE SONG*

*

*

According to songwriter Mark True, Crystal Gayle's 1979 number one, "Why Have
You Left The One You Left Me For" was written about his wife's ex-fiance.

True commented, "The guy kept trying to get her back. He would send her cards
and poems. I happened to be home one day when the mailman delivered a book of
poems he had written for her. And that started me thinking "What if she did
decide to back with him? And just what would he say to her? And the line "why
have you left the one you left me for" just popped into my mind."

Crystal Gayle's United Artists single "Why Have You Left The One You Left Me
For" came on the country music charts December 2nd, 1978 and was at the top of
the charts on January 27th, 1979 and stuck there for two weeks.

The single was produced by Allen Reynolds and was Gayle's 17th charted song. It
was her 6th number one and was on the charts for 14 weeks.

Crystal Gayle was born Brenda Gail Webb in Paintsville, Kentucky in 1951.

She placed 52 songs on the country music charts between 1970 and 1990.*

*

*

^^^^^^^^^^*

*

*

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS



Q: I heard on the radio that Alan Jackson is performing at Carnegie Hall. Do
you have any details?
A; Jackson is scheduled to perform at the famous New York City venue on
October 28th. and will feature songs from his upcoming "The Bluegrass Album."

Q: It was announced that George Strait was retiring from the music business
but now I hear that he is still recording. Is that correct?
A: George Strait is retiring from the road but has agreed to record five new
albums as part of his extended deal with MCA Records.

Q: My husband has a Marty Robbins song he recorded from the radio years ago
about "The Red Hills Of Utah." We have tried to find the record but none of the
music stores know anything about it. Do you know?
A: "The Red Hills Of Utah" was a track in Marty Robbins 1964 "Return Of The
Gunfighter" album.

Q: This may sound like a strange question but my uncle talks about a George
Jones recording of the old Faron Young song "I've Got Five Dollars And It's
Saturday Night." But the Jones recording was done with some rock & roll dude. Do
you have any information?
A: Jones' duet on that record was with Gene Pitney and their version peaked
at number 16 in 1965 and was also in the "George Jones And Gene Pitney" album.

Q: During a Connie Smith concert many years ago - she sang "Paper Roses."
Did she record that song?
A: The Connie Smith version of "Paper Roses" is in her 1966 "Born To Sing"
album.

Q: My uncle says that Eddy Arnold had a hundred hit records. Is that true?
A: From 1945 thru 1999, Eddy Arnold placed 146 songs on the country music
charts.




^^^^^^^^

*

FO R S A L E:*

One copy of Grand Ole Opry, a 70 page paperback book written in 1952 by William
R. McDaniel who at that time worked for WSM Radio. The book is an inside look at
the history of the Opry and its artists during that time and is full of black
and white photos most of which were taken on the Opry stage. Book has a blemish
on back cover otherwise in perfect condition. I will ship First Class Mail for
$100 payment thru PayPal only. Contact
classics@countrymusicclassics.com*

*

^^^^^^^^*

*

Your comments, suggestions, gripes, etc. concerning this newsletter---are
welcome. Email *to: Classics@countrymusicclassics.com*

*

*



* ^^^^^^^^^^*









* NUMBER ONE ON THIS DATE:*





*1947*

/Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)/* - Tex Williams *

*1955*
/I Dont Care/ - Webb Pierce *

*1963*
/Ring of Fire/ - Johnny Cash *

*1971*
/Easy Loving/ - Freddie Hart *

*1979*
/Heartbreak Hotel/ - Willie Nelson & Leon Russell *

*1987*
/Shes Too Good to Be True/ - Exile *



^^^^^^^^^*

A T T E N T I O N: R A D I O S T A T I O N S:*

Our short form daily radio feature, *Story Behind The Song* is
*now available to radio stations.
NOT
AVAILABLE TO INTERNET STATIONS)

The feature is available at *no charge*.*

For information, email me at
*classics@countrymusicclassics.com*

*

^^^^^^^^^^*

*

STRIP TEASE.*

By: Jack Blanchard

There are professions that have just disappeared, for instance...
Milkman, iceman, typist, switchboard operator, and strip tease dancer.

Todays strippers are not the same.
Strip Tease artists did not come out naked and give it all away at once.
They came on stage wearing fancy outfits with sequins, feathers, veils,
and bangles, whatever they are.

They started by wearing stuff,
and took at least fifteen minutes to get it all off.
Thats why they called it tease.
They could have made it last longer by adding a parka and galoshes.

They were usually accompanied by a motley collection of itinerant musicians
called a house band, another vanished line of work,
and they left their G-string on at the end
to avoid getting arrested.

House bands have become extinct.
The bad part about that is that I made extra money
writing house band arrangements for strippers.
Usually something like sixteen choruses of "Hindustan".

I played piano in one of those joints in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
I had a music light on top of the piano,
and the girls, with their backs to the crowd,
would come to my piano light and face me when taking their tops off.
I hit a lot of bad notes.

One night the star of the show, a dancer called "Jett",
pulled down the back of her G-string and mooned the audience
on her way out.
Even the sax player woke up.

Other than that it was a lousy job.



*Jack Blanchard

*http:// - http:///www.jackandmisty.net - http://www.jackandmisty.net





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

*

M E M O:*

IS BOB KNIGHT STILL OUT THERE? IF SO PLEASE EMAIL ME AT
classics@countrymusicclassics.com*

*


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

*

TODAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY*

compiled by Bill Morrison*

*

*

John Stewart, singer/songwriter, born San Diego, Ca. 1939.


Wally Fowler rejoined the Grand Ole Opry 1945.


Songwriters Felice "Scaduto," and Boudleaux Bryant, were married in Newport, KY
1945.


Jamie Oldaker "The Tractors," born Centerville, UT 1951.


The Country Music Association was chartered by the State of Tennessee,
1958.


Ferlin Husky's "Wings Of A Dove," charted 1960.


Skeeter Davis' single "(I Can't Help You) I'm Falling Too" charted 1960.



Patsy Cline recorded "Leavin' On Your Mind," 1962.


Curley Williams, age 56, singer/songwriter died 1970.


Milt Mabie, age 73, of "Louise Massey & the Westerners" died 1973.


Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" was certified gold 1975.


Amy Grant's "Unguarded," certified gold 1985.


Dwight Yoakam's album "Guitars, Cadillacs," peaked at #4 1986.


Vine Gill's single "I Still Believe In You" topped the charts 1992.


Curb Records released the Bellamy Brothers "Greatest Hits, Vol. 2"
1995.


Courtesy Bill Morrison:
<http://www.talentondisplay.com/countrycalMAR.html*>







^^^^^^^^^^*

*

*

*

View From The Front Porch*-*

Stan Hitchcock *

*

My Mockingbird is settled on his favorite limb, here by the porch, as the sky
brightens over the Sycamores. His song, very loud and strong, seems to be
reveling in the coolness of the cold front that has settled over Mid Tennessee
this week. I actually had to go in and put on one of my old sweat shirts, as the
59 degree temp was a little cool for my t shirt. *

*

Well, it's been a week and a half since I last cut my grass, and it has not
grown a bit since then, so it must be winding down, going into the Fall mode,
where it starts drying and settling into the length that it will maintain until
next Spring. Never can tell, a good rain might bring it back to a growing spurt,
so, we'll see how it goes. *

*

September is an important Month at the old farm house in Sumner County,
Tennessee. All the important family events happen within a two week period. Our
28th Anniversary, Denise's birthday, both our sons were born a few days apart,
following the Anniversary and birthday...I mean it is an impossible challenge,
for one like I, who barely can remember his own birthday, and who, many times in
the past, I have turned to Denise and asked, "Uh, how old am I again?"*

I mean, I just do not think on things like age, special dates, balancing
checkbooks, when holidays occur (hmm..is Christmas on the 24th, 25th or 26th
this year...like I think it must change every year), or the number of warts on a
Toads back...it just does not matter to me. *

*

This mental deficiency has nothing to do with the fact that I am older than
water...no, I have been this way, always. Denise finally answered my incessant
question about my age with, "Stan, how old do you want to be?" Okay, now I can
deal with that. Just choose a number, corresponding with how you feel on any
given day....eureka! Problem solved. And, I will know when Christmas arrives,
when everyone starts opening presents...and, to top it all off, Denise, in her
careful planning, has now began to write, on the calendar in our kitchen, in
large heavy black ink...birthdays, anniversarys, holidays and other special
events...so, I never again have to be embarrassed and say, "Oh, is that what day
it is...I forgot." And, I could always capture a Toad, and carefully count the
number of warts on his back, and then I would know just about everything! *

*

It's funny, I used to have hundreds of songs committed to memory when I was
performing, and I can remember every historical event that ever happened, I
never forget a story of my friends in music, and I never forget a face, of all
the millions of faces that I have had contact with through my lifetime...but, I
ain't worth a dang on names...so, if we happen to meet, on the street, or in a
crowd somewhere, and you say, "Stan, old buddy ol' pal...", I will probably say,
"Hello, old son, how ya doin?"....cause, I remember your face, but dang'd if I
can put a name with it. 'Course, that is also cause I have met a passel of folks
in my many years on this earth, being in the business of entertainment to the
masses, so, I can use that as an excuse....yeah, that's what I can do.....uh,
but, in reality, I'm just dumber than a dad blamed rock. *

*

But, in ignorance is bliss...so, blissfully I sit, on the front porch of the
old farm house, having my blissful coffee, thinking my blissful little thoughts,
and just glad to be alive....blissfully wondering, hmmm..what day does Christmas
fall on this year? *

*

Stan Hitchcock*

*

*

*

^^^^^^^^^*

*

*

*

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:*

*

*For you make me glad by your deeds, O LORD; I sing for joy at the works of
your hands.*

Psalm 92:4 -

<http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?q=Psalm+92:4>

*

*

*

^^^^^^^^*

*

*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-on@mail-list.com
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to country-music-classics-off@mail-list.com
To change your email address, send a message to country-music-classics-change@mail-list.com
with your old address in the Subject: line
To contact the list owner, send your message to
country-music-classics-list-owner@mail-list.com

Doug Davis-Country Music Classics-3702 Pleasant Grove Rd-Texarkana, Texas 75503

To unsubscribe or change your email address, click here.
<http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=country-music-classics&nm=thegblogindy%40gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment